Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a Techky at all.
I am not a music person, and the only thing that I ever listen to on the radio is Sports.
So......adding scary sounds to our Grave Yard, is definitely out of my league, and have no idea......how to do it.
Since Cassete's went the way of the 8 Track.....and CD's are no longer popular.....I am at a total loss, as to what everyone is doing?
On this Forum, they talk about Sound Loops?
As if I have the slightest idea, as to what they are talking about. lol
Then a few of them use Shuttles for their Monster in the box props......once again, I am at a loss, as to how the whole thing works.
They KNOW.....what they are working with and how it works, which is Great for them.....Yet, NO ONE......does a very good job at taking us through the steps....of Recording or playing Sounds that are all over You Tube.
NO......I don't know how to use Lap Top in order to play Scary Sounds that I might find, out on You Tube.
Can someone.......tell us, EXACTLY how to do it.....Step By Step?
Being a Sound Technician is not in my DNA.
I have absolutely NO Knowledge at all....when it comes to Sound or playing Loops? LOL
Some Step by Step instructions would be much appreciated by a lot of us, I am sure.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I purposely bought a small waterproof speaker last year that works with bluetooth or has a slot for a SIM card or a port for an AUX cord so I can use something like an MP3 player too. Well bluetooth is out of the question as I don't know how to do bluetooth with my laptop and my cell phone doesn't have enough memory to download music or sounds to play. So I attempted to put sound files of the witches from Macbeth onto a SIM card and play the speaker that way. Had absolutely no luck doing that. Either they were bad sound files, or I used the wrong SIM card, or ???? I have no clue what type of MP3 player to buy, especially one in my budget. Then I have no idea how to put any music or sound onto an MP3 player anyways.

Like you I have no clue what folks are talking about when it comes to a lot of techie stuff. It all goes right over my head and sounds like Greek to me.

204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I purposely bought a small waterproof speaker last year that works with bluetooth or has a slot for a SIM card or a port for an AUX cord so I can use something like an MP3 player too. Well bluetooth is out of the question as I don't know how to do bluetooth with my laptop and my cell phone doesn't have enough memory to download music or sounds to play. So I attempted to put sound files of the witches from Macbeth onto a SIM card and play the speaker that way. Had absolutely no luck doing that. Either they were bad sound files, or I used the wrong SIM card, or ???? I have no clue what type of MP3 player to buy, especially one in my budget. Then I have no idea how to put any music or sound onto an MP3 player anyways.

Like you I have no clue what folks are talking about when it comes to a lot of techie stuff. It all goes right over my head and sounds like Greek to me.
LOL.......Exactly my point!
The ones that know how to do it, just start Yacking Off about this and that, YET......the rest of us, have absolutely no idea what they are talking or HOW TO DO IT?????
Even I know that MP3 players are Prehistoric now, compared to everything else that is out there, but....who am I kidding........I have No Idea how to us an Older MP3 player for my Haunt?
You would think, that is should be sooooooo Easy now a days?
You are on the right Track, with using Blue Tooth speakers.....Now.....we just need to know......what to connect them to?
Would you connect Blur Tooth Speakers to your Phone or to your Lap Top?
My next concern would be, someone Stealing my Bluetooth Speakers. LOL
There has to be an easy way to get SOUND out to our Displays without needing a degree in Audio Sciences.
Running some speaker wires to my Outdoor speakers , and into my old Cassette deck, sure used to work at one time.
But......those store bought Cassettes......really really Sucked!
Id love to download some of the You Tube sounds......just have no idea, how to do it?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
LOL.......Exactly my point!
The ones that know how to do it, just start Yacking Off about this and that, YET......the rest of us, have absolutely no idea what they are talking or HOW TO DO IT?????
Even I know that MP3 players are Prehistoric now, compared to everything else that is out there, but....who am I kidding........I have No Idea how to us an Older MP3 player for my Haunt?
You would think, that is should be sooooooo Easy now a days?
You are on the right Track, with using Blue Tooth speakers.....Now.....we just need to know......what to connect them to?
Would you connect Blur Tooth Speakers to your Phone or to your Lap Top?
My next concern would be, someone Stealing my Bluetooth Speakers. LOL
There has to be an easy way to get SOUND out to our Displays without needing a degree in Audio Sciences.
Running some speaker wires to my Outdoor speakers , and into my old Cassette deck, sure used to work at one time.
But......those store bought Cassettes......really really Sucked!
Id love to download some of the You Tube sounds......just have no idea, how to do it?
So I was just checking and it seems that you can use a cell phone without cell service for bluetooth. I might look at seeing if I can find a cheap enough cell phone, like maybe a "walmart special", that has enough memory to download some sound files to. That is once I can figure out how to download sound files to the cell phone. The speaker that I bought is about the size of my hand or smaller, but it packs a pretty decent sound, so it will be easy enough to hide/disguise.

Hope maybe someone can explain how to add sound in layman's terms.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, this is about the best bare bones advice I can give you. I would try to find a CD player with a repeat function. Some will let you repeat one same track and/or the whole CD. You can usually find CD players along with amplifier/ tuner and speakers at garage sales pretty cheap, just make sure it has an input to plug the CD player into. If you want certain sounds from the internet, I would ask a friend to download the music onto a CD for you.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,810 Posts
Goodwill almost always has cheap cd/boomboxes with repeat player ability. I picked up two of them this past year for $5 each and they work great. You can get some nice Halloween CDs or have someone burn you a playlist (if you have specific songs on your own CDs, you'd like to compile and play together) and just set the boombox up well hidden (I usually cover with black trashbags to provide a bit of protection from light/sudden rain or under any available props to hide them).

I am not too worried if someone tried to steal them or the get caught in a freak rainstorm, because they literally cost me a few bucks, and no one is going to bother to steal them anyway because who uses boomboxes any more? :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have an older iPod that has Halloween sounds and creepy animal noises downloaded to it. I have a pair of wireless bluetooth speakers (google "AR Bluetooth Wireless Speaker"). We use these speakers outside other times of the year too, not just for Halloween sounds. I use a short cable to connect the iPod to the speakers base unit and the base unit transmits the sound to the speakers which I have hanging in the trees.
I have a Halloween specific 'playlist' of the sounds on the iPod. The 'playlist' has a 'shuffle' mode which randomly plays the sounds all night.

You can get any .mp3 file onto the iPod, it does not have to come from the iTunes store. The .mp3 file can be downloaded to a laptop and the file is copied to the iPod from there into the Halloween playlist.

Recruit a teenager to help with the techie side of the file handling and iPod configuration! :geek:

Another way to do it I just thought of ....
if you have an indoor haunt...
I have a soundbar for our TV that has bluetooth wireless connectivity. I am able to connect my iPod via bluetooth to the soundbar and play my music playlist through it when the TV is off. I could play my Halloween playlist instead of music the same way.

Again....recruit a teenager to help with the techie stuff!! :geek:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I had/have a couple of teenagers and they aren't very tech savvy either, that or they were just being typical teens and just used the excuse they didn't know how to avoid doing something. LOL! My Son-in-law is a computer/tech nerd but he's not very helpful. Doing something for others might take away from his gaming time and that would not be good.

I found one of my kiddos old MP3 USB stick that has an AUX port that I am thinking of using with my speaker. I will have to ask if they still want all the songs they have downloaded on to it before I try and erase them. I may take it and my laptop down to a computer repair shop and see if they could help me out. It will depend on how much they want to charge me for the help.

In the meantime I will look to see if I can find some older CD players and some CDs with the sounds that I want. Be nice to have some forest sounds to play in the background of my spooky forest area and the witches of Macbeth doing their chants/spells playing by my witches.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I use alexa by the front door. Ask her to play halloween sound fx's and she'll have plenty. Also great if you just want halloween music. For other areas I use cd's with custom 1hr loops I made of creepy sounds and thunder which is timed out at intervals to get some animated props moving. I also use a thunderstorm track I made with a lightening box. But the biggest addition last year was actually alexa. Tons of ambient sounds and tracks to call up with her. Easy peasy.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
537 Posts
I picked up a Bluetooth Tombstone speaker a few years ago at Home Depot. Don't see it there this year but it is on amazon. Also use one or two cheap little bluetooth speakers. I have a bunch of sound effects CDs that I've ripped to digital files. stream them through computers/ old phones / MP3 players. I might try and use Alexa this year. I have one with a portable battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use a small bluetooth speaker that I put in between the screen and the window by the front door. I subscribe to Itunes music. I make a playlist of halloween stuff from Itunes with shuffle enabled. Then I just connect my phone to the speaker and let it play....I usually don't need my phone for anything much on Halloween so it works out. Just make sure to put your phone on do not disturb or your phone calls will be on the speaker.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use my cellphone and two wireless speakers on one side of the yard and an old iPod (pre-bluetooth) with a smaller speaker near the door. I have found most of my music on Youtube and switched the files to mp3 files. My mom actually prefers what we played when I was little...Disney's Trick or Treat, Sleepy Hollow, etc.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Still so new at yard haunting that I've never bothered adding any audio to the proceedings. But I have been considering it this year. Like several here, I'm not terribly tech savvy or electronically adept. I have an old but decent compact tabletop stereo unit. My plan for sound this year will likely be to find a slew of audio sound effects files suitable for an outside yard haunt, burn them onto a CD-R, and then play it on repeat for whatever the Trick-'r-Treat window for such things is this year. But it's honestly one of those "only if I get around to it" ventures. If it doesn't happen, that's okay too. 🦇

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looping is where the same one song/music/sound_effect is played over and over again (also called repeat). Some USB/TF/SD portable speakers will let you do this, some won't and you'll need a special MP3 player (or an old ipod or similar). Alternatively you can make 1 long 'song' by copy/pasting the song to itself over and over until it's the desired time length (easy enough to do with the free program Audacity, or ask someone nicely and they might do it for you) .

Ripping audio from YouTube is easy enough to do, there's numerous online sites that will do it for you (beware some/most are a bit dodgy) OnlineVideoConverter is OKish.
You copy the web address of the youtube video and paste it into "convert a video link" , change output format to mp3, then click Start, it will process it, then provide a download link.

Disclaimer: legalities of ripping audio from youtube is your concern not mine :D

buy a portable speaker with USB input (there's hundreds of different ones ranging from $10 to $Hundreds)
buy a USB 'stick' (doesn't need to be a huge number of GB, an 8GB one will hold enough music to play for hours)
copy your audio file(s) onto the USB, plug the USB into the speaker, select USB input, play.

This EXAMPLE ONLY portable bluetooth USB speaker can be used to connect via bluetooth to a mobile phone (phone can have audio files on it, or use Spotify or similar), or a USB can be inserted (as above), or it has an AUX in so you can connect headphone output of a device (mp3 player, mobile phone etc) to play files. Advantage of these types of device is you don't need any wires cables to it. They are fully portable, charge it during the day and should last 1 or 2 nights of halloween haunts.

Hope this is of some help

1 - 20 of 86 Posts