Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hi Industin, You may want to look at this:

You can also get some more info here:
Scissor Prop
The scissor you have to build, you can't buy it, and the distance it travels is dependant on how many "x's" you make.
I hope this helped:D

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
The vid in the op is rigged on an overhead zip line or pulley system, its motion gives it away a little.

The real question is how is the zip line is powered, it could be a guy on a rope or there could be a motorised solution in there.

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
yup, I did this a couple of years ago, I had my hallway rigged with a system like this where a skeleton would open the doorway and when the ToTers walked in the prop would tear down the hall and chase them out the house.

My effect was aided by the prop being hidden behind a curtain so they didn't see it until I tugged the rope, added a scream sound, strobe and flashing eyes and it worked a treat.

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
nope its definitely not a body slinger, you just don't get that kind of motion from a body slinger, look at the way it rocks back and forth, its suspended from overhead..... unless of course you meant the 4 bar linkage is operating the overhead pulley system, which is actually an interesting idea.

·
demonic animatronic
810 Posts
i agree that is definitely an over head rig, by the look of the motion and how close she is standing to it I would say that was operated manually or with an auto reverse motor

·
Registered
265 Posts
Come on guys...

you're making a simple prop more complicated....it is either a scissor mechanism or an extended 4 bar linkage (probably scissor, tho).........just b/c the end movement shakes doesn't mean it's flying overhead on some sort of wire.....I've seen other pics of this actual prop somewhere before, and for the life of me I can't remember where!! Haunted Props does not create this particular item, they just resell it...the shaking movement is coming from the fact that this "hanging" reaper is attached to the end of the movement arm/scissor by hanging from an eye-hook..it is not a full-body prop, but rather, a "flyer", so it's top-heavy, and hollow underneath towards the bottom....the fact that it requires an air compressor should be the key that this pneumatic prop is using some mechanical armature mounted to the ground or a board...it also ships plug and play, and requires no "stringing"....I'm going to try and find the pics of this and post here for clarification...oh, and it is manually operated (by pressing a button or step mat which activates the valve by digital control)....by the way, it's way OVERPRICED, trust me!

·
Registered
15 Posts
what is the cost to do something like that up .. are we talking under or over $100? just to build the spring contraption and not the spook your putting on it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
what is the cost to do something like that up .. are we talking under or over $100? just to build the spring contraption and not the spook your putting on it.

If you look at the vid and link in my first post, they will show you what is involved with building thie scissor, I would think you should be able to build it for under $100. The aluminum stock and the valve would be the two most expensive items.

·
Registered
495 Posts
You can see the shadow of the scissor mechanism in the clown video.

here is one I built:

My scissors prop
It has about a 3' movement.

As to the cost no way if you do it right. A decent cylinder $50, regulator $20, solenoid valve $50, flow control valves 2 $12 ea, steel or aluminum $50 ish, steel I would recommend stronger but getting expensive. I'm thinking $200ish with no puppet

-PB

·
Registered
955 Posts
I don't think this is a scissors. It looks more like some kind of hanging unit. The way it swings leads me to believe there is something overhead that it is attached to. Like the clothesline unit many of us use. My hanging ghoulies show movement very similiar to this when they change direction. I am betting this is electrical. Of course I could be wrong.

Spinman

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
However, it is a pneumatic prop running on 100psi (one of the requirements for the prop on the Poison Halloween site).

A scissors mechanism sounds about right - I'm guessing they just have the dummy hanging on a hook from the end of the scissors mech, so that's why it looks like it's suspended from a line.

The mechanism must be made of some pretty solid stuff, if it has a throw of 8 feet holding that dummy out there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts