Halloween Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Read Only
1,348 Posts
In case you didn't notice, I'm a big fan of plastic pallets over wooden ones for storage.
Are plastic pallets something that one can go out and find being given away like wooden ones, or are they something that you had to go out and buy? They sound like a great idea, and we certainly have a great deal of stuff that would fare better off the concrete or wooden pallets that they're laying on now. But if they're something we can find out there for free, then they're just downright irresistible. :)

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,167 Posts
Are plastic pallets something that one can go out and find being given away like wooden ones, or are they something that you had to go out and buy? They sound like a great idea, and we certainly have a great deal of stuff that would fare better off the concrete or wooden pallets that they're laying on now. But if they're something we can find out there for free, then they're just downright irresistible. :)
They are out there to be had for free, but are far scarcer than wooden ones. They are way more expensive than the wooden ones. A brand new wood pallet goes for around $2-$5 plastic ones are $75-$120 each. Where I work they are almost considered a nuisance because we see very few of them compared to wooden ones and the people who buy our used pallets will only take the wood ones. Our product only ships out on wooden ones as well. When a plastic pallet does does turn up it generally gets set aside for eventual disposal in the trash, or someone takes it home. (Me) From what I understand many places that do use plastic pallets and keep them for their own use because they are so much more expensive than wood. Kinda like milk crates. They often have a company name and number "for use only" painted on them.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Very interesting sharing with photos. So jealous of how organized many of you are.

Did make an attempt during this year to go through some things (amazing what you find you forgot about) and make sure batteries were out of things. I swear while it's nice to have batteries in props to test them out when you buy them, too many of them get forgotten about and left in my new purchases and even old ones. And it's a pain to get your screwdriver out and open the battery compartment lid just to check every time. So I'm trying something new. Bought a box of those Avery color coding adhesive dots and after I've checked and taken the batteries out of the prop, I stick one of the dots on the battery door so I know it was checked and battery-free. Quick visual reference. Now if only I can stick with the system....until the dot system I would come across a prop and have to wonder did I remove the batteries from this or not? Just because the prop doesn't activate doesn't mean they are free and clear. Have a few props with battery acid on the terminals so that really motivated me to figure something out.

I have a lot of things I absolutely love but a lot of things I bought on clearance to build up my inventory over the years, definitely a lot of which I'll never use now that I've honed in on some favorite theme ideas. I don't like doing the same thing each year and like to have a Plan B in place too for less than optimal weather come Halloween but that means a wider variety of what I keep. I really do need to purge a lot of what I have. Between the props, accessories, costumes, and way too much halloween house decor...well it can be overwhelming to tackle. Made a good dent this past year though. We have an extra room in our house that can be used year round for storage for things that need to be protected from temps (hot and cold). Sadly our garage right now looks like a paleontologist warehouse what with so many skeleton animals and dinosaurs! and my husband would love to park his car inside one of these days. I do have props in their orginal boxes and lots of plastic bins for smaller, loose things. In addition to a battery check, also trying to group things better. I applaud those that can routinely purge and keep their halloween items organized.

Don't know about you guys but sometimes getting stuff back in the original box is the biggest challenge. I have a John Doe prop that I know somehow he fit in the box he came in but struggling to figure out how he arrived. So one thing that I thought I'd share is that since I've been "battery diving" into prop boxes, I've been taking photos of the prop box's inside, before I start removing parts, and then a few times more as parts get pulled out. That way I can follow the photos backwards to figure out how to put everything back.

Also I've tried saving off manuals and Instructions in .pdf format (many manufacture websites have them posted--Gemmy, Home Depot, Grandinroad, Tekky Toys for example. Plus manuals for other halloween products like my WindowFX projector, the boards that I bought from J-Man, FrightProps, etc.) and keep them on my computer in iBooks (actually Apple now calls the app "Books"). I find this Very helpful to have available outside of the box so if you want to know what size and number of batteries you need or what adapater or step pad etc the prop needs, I can go to this one location and not pull apart the box looking for the Instruction/Manual. The files in Books also serves as a reminder what props I have and might want to use as well (better than forgetting you bought something and rebuying it!). Here's an example of some of the .pdfs that I have stored in a collection for "Halloween Prop .pdfs". And for manuals/instruction sheets you can't find a pdf for, you can scan what you have and save it as a .pdf and add it that way.

·
Read Only
1,348 Posts
Very interesting sharing with photos. So jealous of how organized many of you are.
Oh, you don't have to worry about being jealous. Every time you begin to feel down about how disorganized you are, take a look at this picture of the Styrofoam collection in our garage, and then realize it could be so much worse. :) That is what over half of our garage looks like stacked up the ceiling.

White Ceiling Architecture Material property Plastic

True, we're going to organize it now that we have a break in the decorating, but I can assure you, it will never take on the look of those people posting their storage techniques. It will always look a bit like hoarders who haven't got a clue what is worth hoarding. But slowly it will all turn into tombstones, mausoleums, fence pillars, and all manner of fun stuff. And then we'll find new and inventive ways to stack it all over again.

·
Read Only
1,348 Posts
They are out there to be had for free, but are far scarcer than wooden ones.
Thanks for the information. I'll have to start looking around to see if any local businesses have them. We keep a few things outside and stack them on wooden pallets, but as you mentioned, we worry about water wicking up into things via the wood. Everyone tells me not to worry as it will just make the wood look that much older, but I can't help but think that's what the termites and carpenter ants are thinking.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you don't have a storage problem, your REALLY not that into Halloween.
If you don't have a storage problem, You've got to go bigger.
If you don't have a storage problem, you have too much self control.
If you don't have a storage problem, your NOT holding onto enough stuff, just incase.

If you don't have a storage problem, JUST WAIT, you will!
Jerseyscare

Jerseyscare

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you don't have a storage problem, your REALLY not that into Halloween.
If you don't have a storage problem, You've got to go bigger.
If you don't have a storage problem, you have too much self control.
If you don't have a storage problem, your NOT holding onto enough stuff, just incase.

If you don't have a storage problem, JUST WAIT, you will!
Jerseyscare

Jerseyscare
I just love this!
I was thinking about how to share ideas around storage or just seeing how others store their stuff, when I found this thread.
I am lucky enough to have a 600 sq ft attic above the garage, with 10 foot ceiling, unfortunately its not airconditioned but the skeletons have survived from year to year. The funniest part of my storage is scaring the pest control guys!
What can't be stored in the attic gets housed on our back porch, like my skeleton horse. Not sure what to do with my 12 foot skeleton.
Would love to see photo's of others storage, I am trying to put together a Youtube video now that I have finally put it all away.

Textile Temple Event City Retail

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
I periodically get in an organizing mode. I keep props that came in original boxes still in their boxes. I started a tagging system to identify boxes that I checked already for the removal of batteries (round dot labels with a slash thru it—placed on box and on outer battery lids of props if no box). The hope is then that each year anything removed for use gets a battery check before storing and I visually know what still needs opening up. I still have stuff from prior years to check (including smaller items); seems like I can always find one more thing. I know I have a few props I bought this year that either need batteries taken out or need checking and tagging.

I also use the box check opportunity to either scan the manual/instructions as a .pdf or find same online. A digital copy goes on my computer in a Halloween file, original or copy goes in the box. That way with the digital copy I can easily check for what kind of power or trigging device the prop takes without opening the box. Anyway that is my goal.

I have a number of totes of different sizes, some still to organize better. A few extra large foot locker-size ones on wheels, items in boxes on metal shelving in the garage, things in garage storage cabinets, there’s the empty spare room and closet storage and then there’s the “still working on” items are kind of out in a spare bedroom.

I know I have more halloween items than I’ll ever decorate with and ideally now would like to simplify items down to several yearly themes I’ve been collecting and planning for and put in themed totes. The main tote will include a yard layout plan and inventory list of what I’ll need from prop, lighting, batteries, triggers, etc. Then I think what’s left over becomes more obvious it should go. Well, that’s my current thinking. We’re in our “forever” home, all landscaping done a few years ago with extra outlets, and have no plans to move so yard layout plans won’t change. Figure I’ll have Winter - Summer to work on organizing all this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I periodically get in an organizing mode. I keep props that came in original boxes still in their boxes. I started a tagging system to identify boxes that I checked already for the removal of batteries (round dot labels with a slash thru it—placed on box and on outer battery lids of props if no box). The hope is then that each year anything removed for use gets a battery check before storing and I visually know what still needs opening up. I still have stuff from prior years to check (including smaller items); seems like I can always find one more thing. I know I have a few props I bought this year that either need batteries taken out or need checking and tagging.

I also use the box check opportunity to either scan the manual/instructions as a .pdf or find same online. A digital copy goes on my computer in a Halloween file, original or copy goes in the box. That way with the digital copy I can easily check for what kind of power or trigging device the prop takes without opening the box. Anyway that is my goal.

I have a number of totes of different sizes, some still to organize better. A few extra large foot locker-size ones on wheels, items in boxes on metal shelving in the garage, things in garage storage cabinets, there’s the empty spare room and closet storage and then there’s the “still working on” items are kind of out in a spare bedroom.

I know I have more halloween items than I’ll ever decorate with and ideally now would like to simplify items down to several yearly themes I’ve been collecting and planning for and put in themed totes. The main tote will include a yard layout plan and inventory list of what I’ll need from prop, lighting, batteries, triggers, etc. Then I think what’s left over becomes more obvious it should go. Well, that’s my current thinking. We’re in our “forever” home, all landscaping done a few years ago with extra outlets, and have no plans to move so yard layout plans won’t change. Figure I’ll have Winter - Summer to work on organizing all this.
Wow you are organized, I like the idea of keeping manuals/instructions as a pdf, makes so much sense.
Having more outlets in the middle lawn would have been a good idea.
This year was interesting, due to there not being much to buy, so my inventory stayed just about the same. Except my 12 foot skeleton. Still not sure how we are going to store him, after he does Christmas duty.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Wow you are organized, I like the idea of keeping manuals/instructions as a pdf, makes so much sense.
Having more outlets in the middle lawn would have been a good idea.
This year was interesting, due to there not being much to buy, so my inventory stayed just about the same. Except my 12 foot skeleton. Still not sure how we are going to store him, after he does Christmas duty.
Oh wish I could say I am but really a work in progress to get there believe me. If I was dedicated to only one theme of display would have been easier to achieve. But members here keep inspiring other avenues that I find fun to create, thus my current storage situation😁. I’ve reached my max though and only added two new larger props this year. Have to say I love a lot of my older props you can’t find any more but some of the new ones can be hard to pass up, like HD’s man eating plant this year for me and only managed to find by sheer luck when a local store got him in after that first online batch sold out. Good luck with finding storage for the big guy. I would have loved him but no room at the inn so to speak.

When we re-landscaped, I did it with future halloween displays in mind. Added a number of well placed outlets around the yard’s perimeter. Definitely helps get power to lights etc in the yard.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,202 Posts
Personally, I just don't build anything until I know where it's going to live (or if it's going to be a one-and-done prop).

Often, where and / or how the prop will be stored becomes an integral part of the design. It influences the dimensions, the mounting concept for outdoors (on display) and indoors (in storage).

If it doesn't have a home when that year is over, it has to be deconstructed and turned into something else, given away, etc.

Basically, I just think everything has to have a home before construction begins. For example, this is one side of the shop on November 1st....everyone back in their spots, and waiting patiently for next year:

World Art Plant Visual arts Facade

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Personally, I just don't build anything until I know where it's going to live (or if it's going to be a one-and-done prop).

Often, where and / or how the prop will be stored becomes an integral part of the design. It influences the dimensions, the mounting concept for outdoors (on display) and indoors (in storage).

If it doesn't have a home when that year is over, it has to be deconstructed and turned into something else, given away, etc.

Basically, I just think everything has to have a home before construction begins. For example, this is one side of the shop on November 1st....everyone back in their spots, and waiting patiently for next year:

View attachment 757624
I’m sorry that is just too organized and a beautifully stage storage area that puts us all to shame 😉.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Here are my primary storage spaces, though I haven't pictured the shed and the attic, both of which have lots of stuff, generally unboxes stuff that can handle the weather. The storage unit is 10x20 and has two aisles. Tough to show just how much stuff is in there; last time I counted boxes was when I only had an 11x8, and there were 139 boxes, some of which hold multiple props. Gotta be over 150 boxes in there now.
Publication Shelving Gadget Retail Technology

Shipping box Package delivery Publication Carton Art

Shipping box Shelving Box Gas Machine

Shipping box Package delivery Packing materials Eyelash Relocation

Textile Luggage and bags Bag Selling Room

Art Publication Room Machine Visual arts

Shelf Houseplant Shelving Art Wood

Hat Shipping box Fashion design Shopping Retail

Automotive tire Tire Cool Jacket Fashion design

Building Market Retail Shelf Television

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
I thought I had a lot of halloween props. Great props there, a few I see I have and a few others I wish I had bought! Looks pretty organized and accessible. I noticed you have cardboard boxes on a concrete floor. Might want to think about elevating the boxes a bit off ground with 2x4s so there’s airflow. My experience is that concrete will transfer moisture to the cardboard and eventually affect the box bottom. Something I learned from our concrete garage floor.

I also considered an off site storage locker to free up house storage space in our garage (DH would love to park his car in there) but the more we thought about the day we’d have to bring it all back we gave up on the idea! Also realized local storage place increased rates after first year by like $30 each month so that was another motivating factor

·
Registered
729 Posts
I thought I had a lot of halloween props. Great props there, a few I see I have and a few others I wish I had bought! Looks pretty organized and accessible. I noticed you have cardboard boxes on a concrete floor. Might want to think about elevating the boxes a bit off ground with 2x4s so there’s airflow. My experience is that concrete will transfer moisture to the cardboard and eventually affect the box bottom. Something I learned from our concrete garage floor.

I also considered an off site storage locker to free up house storage space in our garage (DH would love to park his car in there) but the more we thought about the day we’d have to bring it all back we gave up on the idea! Also realized local storage place increased rates after first year by like $30 each month so that was another motivating factor
It's a giant pain. We used to do that, back when I ran a pro haunt and had to store all of my stuff in the off-season. It was fine because the haunt would come by in trucks and pick up the stuff we were using and then bring it back at the end of the season but for anything I was taking home, it was a bunch of trips and frankly, it was more expensive than it was worth. It's why I sold off all of my pro-haunt stuff and got rid of the storage unit. It just wasn't worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts

Great advice! Everything but the center aisle is up on 1x2's, I just haven't gotten to the middle aisle.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
It's a giant pain. We used to do that, back when I ran a pro haunt and had to store all of my stuff in the off-season. It was fine because the haunt would come by in trucks and pick up the stuff we were using and then bring it back at the end of the season but for anything I was taking home, it was a bunch of trips and frankly, it was more expensive than it was worth. It's why I sold off all of my pro-haunt stuff and got rid of the storage unit. It just wasn't worthwhile.
I hear you. I would love to not have it, but I need it until I whittle down my "collection". Each of the last two Halloween seasons I had been gearing up to sell a lot of the stuff I don't love, but just as each of the selling seasons began, a different child of mine had a mental health crisis that kind of put the kibosh on my free time.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts