Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this might be an interesting discussion and may help some people out.

I have two "storage decks" (as I call them), the shed, a loft in the garage and just this year started hanging stuff on the fence.

Here are some pictures.

Maybe include some of your pictures so we can see how we all do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm fortunate that despite living in California, I have a basement. It's mostly unfinished and at the back is just crawl space, but it's great storage. It also has a stairway to nowhere ( the original cellar access that was paved over when the a driveway was added in the 30's or 40's). All my fake pumpkins and tombstones go in the stairway (basically under my driveway). Skeletons go in the crawlspace. Any facade/columns get built to flatpak and go into the crawlspace. Everything else goes into storage totes and is stacked at the very back of the basement, except for fragile items and electronics, which go in the garage.

I try to do "first out, last in" to be be able to access things that will go up at the start of October.

·
The Haunting Girl
853 Posts
I rent... One of the requirements when looking at places is storage for all my stuff. Currently it is everywhere... Filling the master bedroom closet floor to ceiling in totes and bags mostly. I have at least one box behind my couch along with other boxes (couch backs up to a wall). I also have a corner in the shared basement that has totes and one of those plastic cabinet sets (a tall and small). The rest floats around my apartment taking up space in the kitchen, my room/studio, the entry where I set up shelving. It's kind of a mess...
We're been working on cleaning, purging, and organizing this year. I'm hoping to get everything into some kind of permanent home. I have tried to adopt a "first out, last in" strategy too so it's easier to set up in future years. So far it has worked well with things I organized last year.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
This year, I am using Halloween to help clear out NON-Halloween stuff. With much of the decorations out of the rooms I store it in, it's a good opportunity to look at the things that are now open for inspection. I expect to throw out/donate several large boxes this year.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,915 Posts
All the haunt, save for the hut, fence, and a few other bulky items go into this little 7x12 storage room on the back of my workshop. Plastic pallets keep everything off the damp concrete...

IMG_20181102_123721.jpg

The fence and gate gets hung on big L brackets with a tarp draped over them...

IMG_20181104_113051.jpg

The hut gets taken apart and goes under this little tarp lean-to with a few other bulky items. There is a plastic pallet underneath to keep things off the ground..

IMG_20181104_113201.jpg

The arch gets set on a split plastic pallet then strapped to the side of my workshop with a padded ratchet strap, then covered with a tarp...

IMG_20181102_122023.jpg

In case you didn't notice, I'm a big fan of plastic pallets over wooden ones for storage. No worries about them soaking up water and rotting, or wicking water up to the props, they are easier to cut to whatever size you need, are lighter, and I'm not ever tempted to cut one up to use in building a coffin or something and being left without that one for storage later on.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
In my garage, where the mountain is a combination of plastic tubs, original boxes, cardboard boxes and loose items. It's very tough to get started each year, taking that perfect stacking job apart again. But I realize that each year I stack it better than the year before so I don't stress as much anymore. Decorations of any type do not do well over the long haul in exterior sheds. I would never store my stuff in there, nor an attic either. My garage, I have climate control over. It's a sacrifice between Halloween and Christmas, but there's no other way without a basement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Still able to store it all in the garage, utilizing a shelving unit for the skeletons, smaller grave markers, fog machine, lights and cords. All the small items in a mountain of tubs leaving all the to be stacked on one side of the garage. Which at the moment still leaves me room for making newer props and the storage of building materials.

·
Registered
518 Posts
A combination between the garage and outside. Anything climate sensitive gets packed in plastic bins in the garage, anything big that doesn't matter goes outside under tarps.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I'm fortunate to have an extra bedroom to devote to storage and display of indoor Halloween items. Everything for the yard and front porch is stored in totes in the garage or on a shelf. Hanging items and skeletons are on hooks and usually I have skeletons sitting on the top totes that I stack on a table. My plan for the new year is to have shelves built in the garage that will hold all of the totes. I do some weeding out each year, if I haven't used it in the last 2 Halloweens - it gets donated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Pretty much all the items that can be broken down and stored in their original boxes or in tubs go on shelving units in a room in the basement. All the life-size figures go in a separate room in the basement. Huge boxes like the zombie horse and crouching werewolf in addition to blow molds and some decorations that are more hardy go under the crawl space accessible from my garage.

The key is to constantly revolve and retire your props and cull and sell the old ones or ones that no longer work each year. MVIMG_20181103_132052.jpg

·
Registered
374 Posts
I had just bought a new house last year, and one of the main factors was Halloween storage. So I got a house that has a two and a half car garage. My garage doubles as my haunted house. That 4 foot bump out is the space I use to store my electric chair scene, the coffin, freddy's infinity furnace, and now the haunted hallway.
garage_storage[1].jpg

I also have a full basement, so all gravestones, fence, pillars, and various other Halloween materials get to live there.
basement storage1.jpg

Attachments

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
1,979 Posts
One of the selling points of our house (since there's not beans for storage inside) was the 5 foot deep shed built across the back of the 2 car garage. One half has a shelf, so the coffin gets filled with small pieces from the cemetery and goes in the bottom and the rest is filled with blowmolds (I have a bunch for other holidays, too.)
We made the witch's shack to be collapsible, so it got folded up & stored in the other half with the patio table & chairs.
The skeletons are all hung from the rafters in the garage & totes are lined up against the wall.

The fence, animal skeletons, spool, headstones, cemetery sign, dowels & rebar all go in the little shed with the lawnmower & grill.

IMG_4040.jpg
Chuck says hey!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,397 Posts
Right now? Badly & scattered everywhere, but at least that "everywhere" is in one room in our basement that dedicated to just Halloween, Christmas & a small box for other holidays & tiki decorations.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I store a lot of my stuff in a walk in closet in the spare room; mostly more fragile and smaller stuff in bins in the closet. The skeletons, coffin and other large items go in my barn loft. I once told someone that all the skeletons hanging from nails in the bin room of the barn loft were my trophies and now that he knew that I'd have to kill him. ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts