Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first year with my new layout for my yard haunt. In previous years, the entrance and exit were both thru the cemetary gates at the end of my driveway, they would walk up the driveway, then the side walk, up the stairs to the door and then backtrack on their way out. There was no regulating of how many people went thru at anytime, it was pretty much a free for all. You went thru when you wanted and came back out when you wanted. This year, however, I have a seperate exit so that its more of a "walk thru" and they end up walking thru my yard/haunt on a path. I also have new scenes with motion detected timed routines (DMX and VSA) and such this year.

What has everyone found to be the best way to run a walk thru yard haunt with this sort of setup as far as regulating people thru or timing the number of people you let in so that its not a free for all? I would have somebody at the entrance that would just let a group of people in about every 1-2 mins or so, so that when they walk by the scenes with motion detected routines (DMX and VSA), they can watch it thru its entirity and let it reset before more people come by. If its just a free for all, people will be coming in the middle or end of the routine and not fully appreciate it or see it nad can ruin it for others as well. Has this worked for anybody else or is it just easier to let people come in and exit as they please? I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions!

·
STARK Raving Mad
937 Posts
I have someone regulate the flow of ToTs entering the haunt (only a few at a time). Plus, I always have a bunch of volunteers working inside the haunt, and they help keep people moving... if you know what I mean. Mine starts in my 3-car garage and continues into the living room, which is where I lurk. I sorta follow them through the living room into the dining room and watch as they go out the front door where my wife is waiting with the candy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We have always had someone at the gates to let people in. I put a chain across the gates last year to keep people from trampling my lawn. The gatekeeper would guide the group over to the entrance of the tunnel and let them go off on their own. Last year we had a set of walkie talkies so that when the guests reached a certain point, I'd radio the front and tell him to let the next group in. This also came in handy when I needed him to stall when we needed to make repairs. We don't let groups larger than 6 in at a time, since it is a little squished in there. Besides, big groups are kind of asking for trouble and half of them won't get scared anyway.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've also always had someone standing at the front to regulate people coming in. I usually allowed 3-5 people at a time - definitely no more than that. I usually walk out the haunt to figure out the best time for people to be let in, so they can fully experience it all.

I also have a person mid-way and a couple more along the way to make sure people are moving consistently.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
We have a doorman & multiple minions for our haunted maze.
Groups of 2's, 3's, & 4's max. are allowed at one time through. We do let them wander & get lost but, our minions do scare them forward. Remember there is safety in numbers. So, the smaller the group the more intense the scare! In the 10 yrs of doing the maze, we've only had 1 person go alone by their self. People have been known to get lost up to 30-40 minutes in the haunt.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks everybody, thats what I figured would be the best bet. Now I just have to find enough volunteers to help regulate and shuffle everybody. :( Feel free to keep adding responses!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts