Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have built one talkingand will probally change it to a 3 axis but My question is how do you mount your 3 axis skull for testing etc.I see on them mounted to work benches and was wondering what/how people are mounting the skulls.Any photos would be great too. and in your haunt does everyone mount there skulls on skellys or other ways?

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
isn't that a little personal?

I honestly have no idea.

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
Since most are mounted to the servo plate via a threaded rod I just drill a hole in an old hunk of wood and slide it in.For moving heads I cut a small recess in the bottom of the wood around the hole for nut to fit into so board could sit flat and put a second nut on top of board and tighten them together.

·
Registered
395 Posts
For testing, I bought an 8" carriage bolt with the same threads as the axis rod in the skull. That bolt goes through a piece of wood with a counter sink for the head of the bolt so the wood sits flat (just like skullboy said). I made that recess with a spade drill bit. A washer and nut secures it on the other side of the wood. Then I use a coupler nut to join the bolt to the axis rod, and two more nuts (one on either side of the coupler nut) to lock the the whole thing together.

You can see it best around the 0:42 mark of my test video from last year.

-dgm

·
Registered
310 Posts
I used a piece of 1/8" aluminum bar stock from Home Depot. I bent it into a "L" shape and mounted that to a piece of wood that was acting as the neck of the skull. I liked this method as I could change the angle of the skull by changing how much the piece of aluminum was bent. Initially the skull was pointing down way more than I wanted so you can see that I was able to tilt it back a bit to compensate.
View attachment 3911

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so without the axis rod how could I do it? I'm looking at AZDUDE's but don't see where he connected it to the skull.could I use a couple of pipe sactions would that come back to bite me later on when I do convert to three axis?

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,433 Posts
View attachment 3919

View attachment 3920

View attachment 3921

I just use 2 collars on a piece of PVC. 1 goes below the skull, then put the skull on and put the other collar on to make it fit the way you want it. I couldn't find the other collar for the pictures , but you can see how it works. Hope this helps. Sorry about the quality of the pictures, 1st time trying this....LOL!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
great idea!that would work easily.what are the collars made of or where do you find them?what are they used for in real life.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,433 Posts
They are made of steel, you can get them through Mcmaster -Carr, and they are used to retain sorockets ,shafts , etc in place. You might be able to get them through Lowes or Home Despot. They are called "Shaft Collars" . Go to McMaster-carr.com and neter shaft collars in the search .

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
My axis rod is the one from Gymghost, as most are, so it has a threaded end. I cut a hole in the end of a PVC cap, and slip it over the threaded end open end down. There are two nuts, one on either side of the cap ( Inside and outside) to hold it in. Then I just make a stand out of PVC pipe and slip the cap over the pipe sticking up.

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
If it is a very strong movement then yes there is some wobble. I put a book on the bottom pipes to stabilize it which works fine, but the idea is to be able to move it anywhere easily without having to disconnect it from the stand. I suppose you could make the stand out of metal electical conduit which wouldn't wobble at all and still have mobility.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts