Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Halloween season kicks off for me right after 4th of July because that's when Halloween decor starts showing up in some of our local stores. On July 6, the GF and I lit a pumpkin spice candle, made a bowl of popcorn, turned off the lights and put on the first scary movie of the season. How and when do you kick off the Halloween season?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Aug 1st is the official start.Thats when i start decorating inside,But im already on the hunt in local stores for merchandise to come out.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I also wait till Aug 1st. I put out my zombie knomes, skellingo's and all my haunted garden stuff. Then I slowly add to it for the month of august and them the middle of September it looks like Halloween threw up in my front yard. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Halloween kicks off for us on our wedding anniversary - September 1st. That's when most of the stores start with their merchandising. So instead of going to a fancy meal or buying each other gifts, we take a trip out and pick up some Halloween stuff. :)

Otherwise, our main bedroom (I had to move things from our cluttered spare bedroom) is FULL of Halloween stuff, so anytime I find myself getting antsy about that big day, I take a trip upstairs.

·
Registered
623 Posts
For me the Halloween season starts November 1st. That's when I start taking down that years decorations and planning what I'm going to do next year. I work on new props and decorations all year long as time, money and inspiration permits. It usually kicks into high gear around August 1st.

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
July 5th. That's usually when I'll start on projects and planning. The Boney Bunch event has been our big call to arms in recent years though. lol

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
I used to have some point in my mind that was the official 'kick off'... like I would never burn my Pumpkin candles until September. Or the moment I roll up the door on the storage unit and see the decorations again. LOL But every year the larger our display gets, (and I've been to the storage unit every week for months) we get pushed back to some other event that really 'starts' it for me. A few years ago, it would be when the merchandise arrived in the stores, or the first time the Spirit Halloween banner appeared on the front of some empty storefront would give me the giggles. At this point, I've been in full blown build/shop/plan mode since February, so I don't think I have a kickoff this year! LOL

I guess a kickoff will be a surprise for me... I wonder what thing will be my 'Ah ha... Here we go!' moment. :D

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I tried to go Halloween 24/7, but the Halloween high wore off in mid-December. But, I have done a pretty good job of being active around the fringes since March. I would say that starting my pumpkin patch in May really got the juices flowing, but the real test will be when I start building all the props that I have been buying material for since last Halloween. Some projects like my pallet corn maze, I am intentionally waiting until October to start, because I do not want to store 60 pallets at my house any sooner than I need to. :D

·
The Duke of Spook
1,976 Posts
I dunno. Different every year I guess. I've found that when I try to hard to make it feel like Halloween early, I tend to peak and burn out before October. By the time Halloween rolls around all I can think about is getting it over with.

The wife and I do best to simply relax, burn a pumpkin/fall candle all year round if we wish, or not, and to hell with trying to be the perfect Halloweenies year in and year out.

·
Mother of Monsters
1,419 Posts
I'm with goddess, big secret reaper signups kick off my season. I start looking up ideas for my like/dislike list and going through my Halloween boxes looking for stuff I can use either as is or repurpose for my victim. But I don't start decorating till Sept 1st. The Husband thinks I'm nuts for starting that early. But he's a Holiday Grinch for every holiday so I'm used to it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
For me, every day has a little bit of Halloween in it, but I still try to save the bulk of my excitement for October. Since I live in a small apartment, I'm not able to have a home haunt or anything, so the first day of October is when my season and my decorating starts, and it lasts through the first week of November. I like to keep it limited so that it feels truly special every year!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I look for Halloween related stuff year round at yard sales and thrift stores, but I think it really kicks off for me in mid to late August when I grab a couple of grandkids and we unpack all the decorations and sort them out into indoor, outdoor, and stuff that goes out the last day.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Once September 1st rolls around I start getting in the Halloween mood. I usually start putting out some Autumn decor right after Labor day. I don't usually put out the Halloween decorations until late September. I am generally fully decorated by October 1st. I usually leave one or two small items out each year so I can have a little piece of Halloween with me year round.

·
Registered
857 Posts
well the scary movies I watch all year lol so cant say I do that, but what honestly gets it going for me is near the end of July when Dollar Tree starts getting Halloween stuff in, ( they are always the first store out here where I live, so when I see Halloween stuff there and buy a few items there, then early Aug, I start with the Halloween candles for sure, and a good Halloween book. That is how I kick it off, for the past 5 years anyways

·
Registered
349 Posts
It seems that my "kick-off" is whenever I start working on the new big prop for the year. It always seems to be right around this time - that's when I start checking back in on the forum. Then I start paying attention to the countdown. When it goes double-digits (i.e. 99 days until Halloween), I begin feeling like the deadline is approaching.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I agree with snoopy red baron, right after the forth of July! Starting my first big build this weekend actually, 18th century hearse :-D . Already started listening to Midnight Syndicate in the shower haha :p

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
About this Discussion
64 Replies
52 Participants
Stochey
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing