Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing I always find so daunting is sorting/digging through the various threads to find what I need or something of interest that speaks to me. Don't get me wrong, everyone likes getting tons of responses to their posts and all the feedback leads to a lot of great ideas and discussion (I personally love the pictures). But how do each of you personally work through all the threads to minimize wasting your time?

For example, I was reading the Lemax thread and first page someone referenced Dept 56. I'd never heard of it so that was great info, but had it been a few more pages in (the thread is 34 pages long at this point), I would have missed the Dept 56 reference because, generally speaking, the posts just didn't have anything that piqued my interest. :eek:

So it got me wondering, how do you successfully manage all these topics and responses, especially those who have limited time to troll the numerous posts?

·
Vintage Halloween'er
2,994 Posts
Don't know about everyone else..but I live here..lol, No, actually I find my favorites and check them daily, or if Im looking for a particular thing, I do a search and if there are to many replied to the search, I just ask on General for help and someone usually replies..you can also subscribe to a thread..join a group that is interested in what you like..Im probably not being much help here..I think it just takes time..I know my sister said she couldn't find anything here and she left..lol..she was just impatient! Also, if you like the photos..at the top where it says Gallery..click on it and you can look at all the photos without all the talk..

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
I don't try to read them all now. That would be information overload and I might self-destruct. LOL. Right now I just pick and choose a number of topics that sound interesting. Sometimes I make it back a few pages deep. Rarely beyond 10 pages. I'm on here all year so get caught up with other threads later and then it starts all over again.

I also will do some reading at night, and I catch up on a few when we're at a restaurant waiting for our food or waiting for my allergy shots for example using my iPhone. Nice thing about having a smartphone with web access for those boring 1/2 hour waits. Otherwise I generally prefer to read the forum on my iPad or laptop and do so when I won't get interrupted by others. I also when on my laptop will save project threads that I'm really interested in to my computer in PDF format (hopefully tht will be around for a while) and I will save photos to my iPhoto area for recalling something I liked later on.

BTW you can subscribe to threads you like or post to. That might help bring up ones you want to follow. Ooops see that Kelloween already suggest that. Guess it's good to know that these features are used. I do searches all the time too.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
That Lemax thread is only nine pages for me.

Do this so you can read more posts on a page and don't have to click on so many pages: Go to the top of this page and click on Settings. Over on the left, click on My Account. Click on General Settings and scroll down to Thread Display Options. Scroll down to Number of Posts to Show Per Page. Change that to Show 40. Then go the bottom of the page and click on Save Changes.

I've always thought this should be saved as a sticky for new members. Some of the threads on here go to the hundreds of pages - or only dozens if you make that simple change.

·
Ridin' The Storm Out
1,076 Posts
I don't, really.

I mean... When it starts ramping up around this time of year, it's really hard for me to keep track of anything on the forum. The closer we get to Halloween, the less I visit.

I hate to say that, honestly. But it's just too hard to keep up sometimes. If it's a thread I'm super interested in, then I go to my "find latest posts" page on my profile, click the last response I wrote on a thread and read from there. But just in general, when the forum is really busy, I tend to just skim through things.

·
Ridin' The Storm Out
1,076 Posts
Another problem I have is that, especially around this time of year, the repeat threads are horrendous.

By "repeat threads" I mean threads on the exact same topic. For instance, in the past week I've seen about five or six different "who is decorating" or "who is unpacking" threads, all posted by different members. It's irritating, and that's when I kind of wish that HF were more like other forums I frequent, where repeat threads get merged by the mods. It would cut down on a lot of wasted space, and a lot of searching when you're looking for a specific thread that's been bumped down to the fifth or sixth page because people don't bother searching for existing threads before starting new ones. :mad:

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,479 Posts
I have subscribed to some threads - how do I "find" them again?
Go to your profile. There's tabs & under the tabs you've got more tabs, mine are:

All
(Forum member name here)
Friends
Subscriptions

Click on subscriptions & there ya go!!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Due to surgery, this is a bye-year for me. And, since I am not into specific product lines, the Secret Reaper/card exchange, vintage, Pumpkin Ale/Patch, and/or store merchandise threads this year, that really narrows which threads I open. So I usually cruise the first two or three pages of "what's left." Generally, I check in a few times each day, depending how busy I am in RL.

With no real plans for Halloween this year, very general things like, "Fave Halloween Candy" or "Best Trick-or-Treat Memory" catch my attention.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm glad to see we kind of run the gamut of how-if-when we access the threads. Don't feel so lonely now. As someone who is definitely not a new member, I was hoping it wasn't just me that experienced this each year.

I also appreciate the suggestions many of you had, but they mostly don't change the overwhelming number of posts to sort through unless I have something specific I'm looking for. Either way, I will keep coming back for more! ;)

·
Registered
625 Posts
I sort of agree with you as in how do I keep up with the threads. The thing with this forum is that it's so active, that the thread you just replied to 3 hours later could be on General Halloween- Page 3 already. That's also part of the reason why people repeat topics because there is so much activity that if you don't look through multiple pages just on the General Halloween forum, than that's going to happen.

The one thing that sort of bugs me is that there aren't just picture threads about particular stores. I don't mind discussing all the things for a particular store, but sometimes I rather just see pictures. For instance, have a Target picture thread, and a Target talk about Halloween products thread.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts