Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have several in my graveyard to paint or not to paint I guess. Was thinking leaving them plan , or possibly flat gray or even flate white . Let's see what you guys have done with yours :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
You might try to string carpet glue over the skeleton and use brown, yellow and green spray paints to get your colors. Here is mine I made from a bag of bones and a few other things. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442212850.191829.jpg

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,097 Posts
So many ways you can do this - I usually left my real pose n stays skellies from Costco with little or no improvements. The cheaper ones I did grime up (gel stain then quickly rubbed off, dry brush some white and yellow) and just simple paint and rub off on the ones with gas mask. I also corpsed some, but can't find any pics. But there are many here on the forum if you search. Not sure why pics so small, but they are in my albums too.

IMG_0360.jpg IMG_0433.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
The classic technique for a Bucky is to get a small can of Minwax Gel stain in "Colonial" color. Take the Skeleton outside on a warm day, prop him up with a plastic drop cloth below him. Put on disposable plastic gloves, shake the Minwax can and open it. Use a rag to rub the entire skeleton down with the stain. Wait ten to 15 minutes and use another clean rag to wipe stain off, leaving just enough to give the skeleton a slight redish/brown patina and let it pool to a darker hue in crevices. Let him dry outside for a few hours and then hang him up in the garage. Stain usually dries competely within 4-5 days. Results are perfect (as shown in "pre and post staining" pics below) if you use this technique; makes the skeleton look more realistic (authentically aged) but not overdone.

aging.jpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey man thats a great idea! I may just have to swap out the one i was working on for this=)
The classic technique for a Bucky is to get a small can of Minwax Gel stain in "Colonial" color. Take the Skeleton outside on a warm day, prop him up with a plastic drop cloth below him. Put on disposable plastic gloves, shake the Minwax can and open it. Use a rag to rub the entire skeleton down with the stain. Wait ten to 15 minutes and use another clean rag to wipe stain off, leaving just enough to give the skeleton a slight redish/brown patina and let it pool to a darker hue in crevices. Let him dry outside for a few hours and then hang him up in the garage. Stain usually dries competely within 4-5 days. Results are perfect (as shown in "pre and post staining" pics below) if you use this technique; makes the skeleton look more realistic (authentically aged) but not overdone.

View attachment 255697

·
Registered
76 Posts
I tend to corpse mine to cover screws, and other odd parts of the model. I use PVA glue, and then cover with kitchen towel roll. It needs lots of 'dobbing' ,as me and my granddaughter call it,.w ith a paintbrush to get rid of the pattern of the roll. It also causes the paper to break, and bunch up. Then I paint it all with a watery mix of standard outdoor garden emulsion paint. The type used for painting walls (not masonry paint). I tend to buy a couple of large buckets of various shades of brown, and one black one each season.

I then wash it down with the dirty water I use to rinse the brushes with. This removes any excess, and dilutes the colour.

2015-09-12 14.21.34.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts