Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Halloween AA Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to use a lot of faux pumpkins from Micheals, just so I can get a use out of them every year. Has anyone used them and what is the best way to carve them? Also I came across a couple of sites that had free templates a while back, and now I don't remember any of them. Does any of you guys know of any good web sites?

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
very carefully Mummy! lol Not sure, never carved one before, so I'll have to revisit your thread here for the answers! I'm leaning toward a dremel, everything is easier with a dremel!

·
...is up to no good
1,295 Posts
I can't remember a ton about it BUT...
I think I carved mine pretty carefully with the same tools I use to carve my regular pumpkins.

The first one I tried to carve a few years ago was mega brittle because it was a stiffer material. It chipped like mad. The ones I got from Michael's last year that were softer carved with less chipping so I liked them a lot more. I am going to try to get some more of those this year.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Michael's sells little saw looking tools, right next to their foam pumpkins. I've found that you can get more detail in your design with these, because the blade is small and it cuts through the foam easily. I think I bought two packs last year, because I found that after carving a few pumpkins, the little blade either bent or got dull. It's always easier to carve with a sharp blade.

Let us know how it goes!

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
Michael's sells little saw looking tools, right next to their foam pumpkins. I've found that you can get more detail in your design with these, because the blade is small and it cuts through the foam easily. I think I bought two packs last year, because I found that after carving a few pumpkins, the little blade either bent or got dull. It's always easier to carve with a sharp blade.

Let us know how it goes!
Oh and remember you only get cut by dull blades ....heard that somewhere but I have found that dull or sharp they cut skin with unbridled pleasure! When this happens it is my suggestion that you swear like a sailor, kick something (preferably something soft or there will be additional unsolicited pain) and then look for assistance in finding the missing appendage. :D

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have a small collection of these going- about 10 now. I add to them every yr. This yr I think I am going to add about 6 new ones. My good friend does all the carving for me (because she loves doing it! )- she uses a regular pumpkin carving knive I believe. I'll have to post pictures of the ones I have so far.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I prefer an X-acto knife for carving these. Super sharp, of course. (They call me three-finger-Pete for some reason, and my name isn't even Pete!)

I use heavy fishing line (from my surf fishing pole that broke in half on the FIRST CAST) to suspend these in the air. I tie one end to the gutter on the corner of the house, and the other end to a tree out of the reach of ToTs. Throw in some dollar-store cyalume light sticks through the mouth and voila! you have creepy floating jack-o-lanterns. I just wish they would come out with more unique shapes, as I'm starting to get duplicate shapes.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I prefer an X-acto knife for carving these. Super sharp, of course. (They call me three-finger-Pete for some reason, and my name isn't even Pete!)

I use heavy fishing line (from my surf fishing pole that broke in half on the FIRST CAST) to suspend these in the air. I tie one end to the gutter on the corner of the house, and the other end to a tree out of the reach of ToTs. Throw in some dollar-store cyalume light sticks through the mouth and voila! you have creepy floating jack-o-lanterns. I just wish they would come out with more unique shapes, as I'm starting to get duplicate shapes.

That's a great idea hanging them up like that! I'm going to have to copy you!

·
Registered
540 Posts
The tree end of the fishing line doesn't necessarily have to be that high off the ground, you just don't want anyone to get clotheslined by the fishing line, you know? I just used a big old needle to pull the fishing line through the stem of the funkin a knot on the low end secures it from going too far down the line. They sway and bounce nicely in the wind, quite a fun effect.

·
Dead and loving it.
1,620 Posts
I tried the little saws they have for pumpkins and there is a lot of little bits to worry about. I found my soldering iron had a exact-o knife attachment for it so I thought I would try that.

Cut like butter. Very cool. You still want to be careful of course because you have to deal with sharp and hot.

·
Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
I found that cutting the faux pumpkins with a regular blade produced a horrendous mess... I was trying to cut an intricate design, but it was very very messy, and got fake pumpkin guts (the dust) EVERYWHERE. I would definitely be more inclined to use a hotknife if I ever do it again (which I am actually.... this year)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts