Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
If you are planning something even bigger and better next year, you can contact your local news paper and see if one of their reporters will do a write up on it. I had a reporter from the local press see my yard displays and actually came to me and did a small write up about my yard and the yards of a couple of neighbors. A photographer also took pictures to add with the story. Since the story came out yesterday, we noticed a lot more people driving by the house, slowing down and taking videos and pictures. Most likely folks who don't normally drive this way on their way to work or running errands.

Also use social media. Post on FB or Twitter about your haunt. Give dates and times and location as to when and where people can come and check it out. So if you have things set up and ready for looky loos on the 25th of Oct. and have it all lit up and animated at 7:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. let folks know they can come and see your haunt from the 25th-31st and the major actions are from the hours of 7-10.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Facebook, hang fliers at local stores advertising a halloween haunt..... we just started handing out candy and word
got out. Most of the people decorate their yards on our street. We have kids for 2 hours straight. It is a blast.

·
The Haunting Girl
878 Posts
I've actually been afraid to really put my haunt out there. Mostly I'm afraid of becoming a target for thieves and vandals at this point. My town isn't bad, but things have happened in other parts that I'd rather not have where I live.
I usually put out a sign at the end of my street directing people to my haunt. I do have a Facebook page, but I don't seem to have a local following on it. I did give out big bars last year and I know kids have traveled to see it (I hear "this is the house I told you about!" a lot). I get a large number of people that drive past my house too. My actual ToT numbers remain low... It was climbing every year from about 8-12 to close to 50, but last year was around 50 too. With it being really cold and a weeknight I'm expecting it might be around 50 again this year or possibly less.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've actually been afraid to really put my haunt out there. Mostly I'm afraid of becoming a target for thieves and vandals at this point. My town isn't bad, but things have happened in other parts that I'd rather not have where I live.
I usually put out a sign at the end of my street directing people to my haunt. I do have a Facebook page, but I don't seem to have a local following on it. I did give out big bars last year and I know kids have traveled to see it (I hear "this is the house I told you about!" a lot). I get a large number of people that drive past my house too. My actual ToT numbers remain low... It was climbing every year from about 8-12 to close to 50, but last year was around 50 too. With it being really cold and a weeknight I'm expecting it might be around 50 again this year or possibly less.
I've worried about that to. Nothing like saying "Hey, I have all these expensive animatronics at this address and I'll leave them out all night for you"

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hate Facebook. I don't use it personally so I doubt if I started a page I would get many locals following it...but maybe worth a shot.

The other thing going against me is we live on the outside of the edge of town, in a subdivision many people don't know is here. While I like it that way it poses to problems. First the obvious, probably won't get many people to come out here for just my haunt. And second, I will be telling everyone this subdivision is here.

What do you do, haha.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
OK, I broke down and created a FB page, anybody want to give it a follow?

https://www.facebook.com/larrytheskeletonhaunt/
I both liked and followed your page. I also shared it to my FB page recommending folks that live in and around your area to go check out your haunt. Now that you are on FB check to see if you have any local news groups, or parents groups or local events groups, or local buy/sell groups and see if you can join the groups or send a message to an admin and ask if it would be okay to share your FB page in the group.
If folks can see the pics and videos you have posted on your FB page it will get them excited.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts