Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Though it's only August, I'm struggling to find that special Halloween magic. Usually, I start having Halloween withdrawals as soon as summer hits. I start watching horror movies, read Halloween history books, and spend just a little extra thought on how I'm going to spend my Halloween night, but so far....nothing. The desire is sadly gone. Some of you know that I compose Halloween/horror music, and recently, it's been a challenge to sit at my keyboard and conjure anything up. A large part of that has to do with the lack of Halloween excitement I normally get.

So, can anyone relate? What do you do to reignite that Halloween magic?

Mike Fox
Verse 13

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
It's "Dark",,,, AGAIN!
The doorbell rings!
I'm ready to go again! Really. that's all it takes. I have been open almost every night for the last 28 years.
Some wonder how I can do this ?
They have never been through the house ,obviously!
I have a lot of FUN here, and so do most of the people who come here!
I must be an idiot! Because I never get tired of doing this!

I worked outside today fashioning small pieces of sheet metal to enclose the rear door to a 1958 Ford tightly against the outside of the house.
This door was once in the past and is now once again our ticket window,roll down the window--"Hello!"
I reinstated it because my Wife really liked this (and so did a few other people)
Years ago as she was beginning to roll the window down, she heard two men talking right outside:"Hey, Arty! This is a neat idea, you could use this for your Haunted House!"
"Hello, so do you have a haunted house?" My wife politely inquired.
"No! I Don't have a haunted house."
"No, he doesn't have a haunted house!"
How she kept from laughing in their faces, I don't know?(They were two guys, probably in their "50's".)

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
I think you have the right idea.

Listen to Halloween music in the dark with candlelight.
Walk your local cemeteries.
Visit the craft and gift stores in your area and check out the Halloween merchandise.
Put a few decorations up in your house, just a few, a sign that things are changing.
Type 'Halloween' into Pinterest and lose yourself for hours.
Watch Halloween youtube videos, like Haunt patrons, old Halloween cartoons, documentaries, etc.
Read a Halloween book you've never read before.

Finally, don't try to force it. Just relax and let the season roll in.

Also, since you compose music, here's something that might help. Sit down and start putting notes together, anything, random noises, disjointed melodies, whatever.
It's a writing trick. Writers start typing, and in a matter of minutes the story will start to crystalize, whether they felt very enthused or not. The brain wants to create, no matter your mood, so get out of it's way.

Never wait for inspiration, chase it down.

·
Registered
414 Posts
One after my own heart. We can never have enough cider in this house. I make it by the half gallon, and it's still never enough.

I've spent far too much time here and on pinterest pinning stuff. I'm sure my followers think I'm nuts, but most of them know me, so they knew that already. Currently working on three boards - halloween decor, halloween party and my daughter's monster high party. I've been near onto vibrating since February, wanting to get into it. Sadly finding funds to buy what I want is an issue, or really this year funds in general. *sigh*

·
Registered
672 Posts
I agree with the walking in the cemetery idea from Spats. There's a really big one about 3 miles from my work and sometimes I drive over there during lunch hour and snap a few photos. We always get a group together every October to go take cemetery photos. With regard to your music inspiration, you could walk the cemetery and think about what type of personal soundtrack would you envision while you're strolling through the tombstones. I always like playing Mozart's Requiem, Beethoven's 7th (A major, Op 92, Allegretto), some other classical piece, or even gothic music when I drive/walk through. It always gets me in the spirit (no pun intended...;))

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
What it pretty much boils down to is this: some years I got it, some years I don't. This year is a good one. I've been in the Halloween mood all summer. Last year I wasn't really into it till a few weeks before the big day. And think about it; getting into any holiday three months ahead is pretty unusual outside this forum. I say don't force it. When it happens, it happens. :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Honestly, it could be because you never gave yourself a break? As much as we all love the season, it can make things all the more better when we step back from it. The first part of summer I dedicate strictly to summer and not thinking entirely too much about fall/Halloween. It wears off fast, of course, and then usually by August I'm ready for Halloween again. So if drowning yourself in it doesn't work, try purposely stepping back and that desire/love/excitement will find you when it's ready to.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
While I'll hit the stores early, the heat of summer kills any enthusiasm for working on Halloween...when it get's to be sweatshirt weather, the spirit kicks in

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks so much, just switched to ABC and have my 'autumn wreath' scent turned on as well!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I personally like the Celtic calendar's version of the seasons. In it, there are but two, summer and winter. Summer begins on May first (which, if you live in Florida, is pretty accurate) and it culminates on October 31. Halloween, then, is the last hurrah of the summer season. Since I live for both, around my house, the season never ends.

DSCN0455.jpg

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just read through everyone's AWESOME comments. There are some great ideas here that I have never really thought of, and I'll be sure to give them a try! I appreciate all the reply's, and I'm sure I'll read through them all at least one more time. Thanks again. Happy Haunting everyone!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hahaha last night heard Monster Mash and it's always this song lol that was it. Had a dream last night I was decorating on Halloween night. As you can imagine I was all stressed out. Keep forgetting lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts