Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at an estate sale yesterday and scored 2 original Beistle cut outs, they're in pretty good condition and I'm happy to add them to my collection. After the estate sale, I headed to an antique mall and spent hours looking at vintage Halloween decorations, some original and some reproductions. I feel like there is just something really special about coming across an original piece that dates back to the 1950's or earlier. But, it's kind of nice to see Beistle making reproductions of very old pieces from their archives. How do you guys feel about it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
The more the merrier. I, personally, wish there were more vintage repros available, especially of some of the non-Beistle stuff... Eureka and C.A. Reed made great decorations, including some that are pretty hard to track down. It would be nice to have someone put those out.

·
Registered
426 Posts
As someone who has a decent-sized collection of vintage things, I love repros! They're a great way for people to have that vintage style who can't afford the sometimes crazy prices old pieces bring, or for people who want to decorate in that style without having to worry about damaging their things. I have a bunch of repro pieces I use for party decor.

The only issue arises when reproductions are passed off as vintage pieces-- which is why it's unfortunately necessary to be a savvy buyer and to know what you're looking at before you buy! Caveat emptor, sadly. But there are several reference books out there for Vintage Halloween, and it always helps to correspond with more seasoned collectors.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,950 Posts
The only issue arises when reproductions are passed off as vintage pieces-- which is why it's unfortunately necessary to be a savvy buyer and to know what you're looking at before you buy! Caveat emptor, sadly. But there are several reference books out there for Vintage Halloween, and it always helps to correspond with more seasoned collectors.
This. so. much.

I actually just bought 2 repro blow molds at Walmart.

These aren't pics of mine but they're just like the ones I bought though my black cat one doesn't have "TRICK" on its base since it's a repro.

I'd say the biggest difference between real vintage & vintage repro on those is that the newer ones are dated & they're just a deeper orange than the older ones I have. General Foam is still making them so just finding something with that name on it doesn't make it vintage.

I love the new Vintage Beistle too.
http://www.vintagebeistle.com/

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think it's good, since it lets more people enjoy the designs. Also, as I understand it, the originals weren't meant to last too long - so it seems to me the supply would just keep dwindling forever if new things weren't made to replace them.

I'm with Lilibat, that if they aren't being marketed as the originals, it's fine.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I see a lot of stuff on Ebay listed as "Vintage" when they should actually listed as "Vintage-Look". To use the word "vintage" by itself means it is actually from that time/year. A lot of sellers are fast and loose with their wording...some don't mean to deceive, but some clearly do.

Now, original vintage pieces are beautiful, but expensive! A repro is often an agreeable option; repros are priced affordably and are in clean, bright, "just made" condition. Some of the Beistle repro pieces are just gorgeous.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,950 Posts
Now, original vintage pieces are beautiful, but expensive! A repro is often an agreeable option; repros are priced affordably and are in clean, bright, "just made" condition. Some of the Beistle repro pieces are just gorgeous.
And eventually, those new pieces will be "vintage" too!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I'm all for reproductions too, as long as they are advertised as such. I don't collect anything Halloween vintage, but I do enjoy the style & look of certain things, and I'm quite nostalgic over some pieces from my own childhood that I remember. So, I like being able to get a few pieces here & there that aren't too expensive but still give that vintage-vibe that is so appealing & timeless. Plus, I think that some of the originals (Halloween or otherwise) are so delicate & unlikely to really be around in large numbers, so only a very few would ever be able to have one unless reproductions were available.

Someday I hope to find those popcorn-style plastic pieces that I remember my Mom hanging in our windows when I was little. <3

·
Registered
575 Posts
I really dig the vintage stuff as well - repro or not. Even pieces that are before my time still seem to stir up nostalgia in me. Maybe it's just the general design/style; I'm not sure.

RCIAG, did you find that blow mold scarecrow on Walmart's website, or in store? How much did it cost you? There's a bunch of "vintage" scarecrows on eBay, just curious how much the reproduction runs.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,950 Posts
RCIAG, did you find that blow mold scarecrow on Walmart's website, or in store? How much did it cost you? There's a bunch of "vintage" scarecrows on eBay, just curious how much the reproduction runs.
I stumbled across the blow molds in the store which shocked me. They were sort of lying in the rubble & I snatched both of them up as soon as I saw them. They were $9.99 each.

I don't know if every store has them & it's been aaaaages since I've seen new ones in a store. I'll try to get pics soon because they really are kinda cool & they do look a little different than the vintage ones.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I stumbled across the blow molds in the store which shocked me. They were sort of lying in the rubble & I snatched both of them up as soon as I saw them. They were $9.99 each.

I don't know if every store has them & it's been aaaaages since I've seen new ones in a store. I'll try to get pics soon because they really are kinda cool & they do look a little different than the vintage ones.
$10 each sounds like a pretty sweet deal. Yeah, take some pics when you have a chance. The "vintage" scarecrows on eBay seem to go anywhere from $10-$20, usually not including shipping.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts