Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work full time and have two kids (three if you count my husband) and a dog. I know I am not the only working mother out there. My question is how does everyone else get everything done? Am I just not organized? I am getting so frustrated. There is so much I want to do and the only time I really get anything done is when we have our monthly make & take meetings. After our meeting is over my project usually just sets there until the next month.

If I work on Halloween projects the laundry doesn't get done or the house doesn't get cleaned. If I keep up with housework the Halloween props never get finished. It is a vicious cycle! Birthday parties to attend or to give, school functions, sports, grocery shopping all get in the way of Halloweening.

I see so many great props being created and I know I could create a lot of nice props...I just need to find the time! I actually thought I had great time management skills until I really started getting into Halloween as a hobby!

·
Registered
355 Posts
This is what I do: Do a top to bottom cleaning of the house one week ( a little bit each night since I work all day and don't get home till after 6pm) and then the next week, spend an hour a night on one of my projects.

Or, I'll work on a project for a whole weekend.

Honestly, the one (or even half) hour a night for a week, works great =)

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
You need to be really organized to get the most benefit out of your available time. You need tools standing by, ready to go. Once you're organized, you'd be amazed at what you can accomplish in a short time.
Also you can set aside a block of, say, 2 hours each week dedicated to working on props.

Or you can be like me and simply shun television.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Two things make it easier: a DVR and little girls.

Our girls have a bedtime of 7ish. So, everyone gets home from school and work, we have family time, do homework, make dinner, etc. We are usually at the dinner table around 6:15pm. We have dinner as a family, then the younger girls take a bath while our older daughter helps clean up. After bath time, it's pajamas and story time, after that, it's lights out!

My wife and I record our shows on the DVR, and watch them when we can. It's great because we can set the recorder a week or two in advance, and watch when we have time.

Now, how do I fit in projects? After the girls are in bed, I get my projects out. If it's a small project, I just carry it around on my project board, and use the coffee table to do my work (while watching tv). If it's a big project, then I'm out in the garage listening to the radio.

On the weekends, I sometimes get up early (before the girls) and go out to the garage to get some work done. Usually its things like adding a coat of paint or sealent. I have about an hour to get something done, then set the girls up with breakfast and disney channel.

The other prong of my approach is having fun projects that my daughters can help me with. Why make one paper mache pumpkin when I my little helpers can triple the work output! ;)

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
No time is the story of my whole life. I have so many hobbies that i enjoy but halloween is my driving force. I make time no matter what because it is my obsession and my true passion. I agree with all the rest, just try to devote a certain amount that you are comfortable with and work away.The being organized comment is dead on, you have to have all your tools and supplies ready. As i am working i keep a supply journal with me and when i am running low on a supply or think of something i need for a prop i make a note so i can pick it up. Just keep at it and never stop and you will succeed.

·
6,359 Posts
The being organized comment is dead on, you have to have all your tools and supplies ready. As i am working i keep a supply journal with me and when i am running low on a supply or think of something i need for a prop i make a note so i can pick it up. Just keep at it and never stop and you will succeed.
That's a really good idea. Thanks!

·
6,359 Posts
My biggest problem is trying to decide what project to do? The more time I spend on this site, the more things I really want to do or try. It's getting very difficult for me to decide WHAT I want to do next.

·
Reaper Queen
8,819 Posts
the more time I spend on this site, the more things I really want to do or try
isn't that the truth!! LOL Every time I see a great prop or project, I add it to the " I want one of those!!" list!!
I never seem to have enough time either, but I know I am not the most organized person in the world!

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
Plan 100, actually accompish 10. That seems to be my strategy!

Plan for your theme, show, or haunt, to not require every little prop that you would like. Nobody else knows that you just didn't have time to get all those bats, jack o lanterns, spiders, or whatever made in time. They don't know what you had envisioned in your head.
It's hard to find time to finish all that you want, but the good side is that others see what you did get done, not what you wanted to get done.

Keep plugging away at 'em!

·
Valkyrie Of Halloween
2,435 Posts
This is what I do: Do a top to bottom cleaning of the house one week ( a little bit each night since I work all day and don't get home till after 6pm) and then the next week, spend an hour a night on one of my projects.

Or, I'll work on a project for a whole weekend.

Honestly, the one (or even half) hour a night for a week, works great =)
I like that plan!
The kids are out of the house and I still seem to have too much to do around the house!
Plus if you have everything set up one night, you can knock out several tombstones with a dremel the next night, clean up the 3rd night, paint the 4th and 5th night and "weather" the 6th and on the 7th day you rest!
;);)
:D

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
If I work on Halloween projects the laundry doesn't get done or the house doesn't get cleaned. If I keep up with housework the Halloween props never get finished. It is a vicious cycle! Birthday parties to attend or to give, school functions, sports, grocery shopping all get in the way of Halloweening.
Sounds like it's time for your husband to clean around the house and do laundry..or he needs to help you with the Halloween projects. :D

Do you live in a museum? If not, then take a couple of days off from cleaning. Make big meals, then reheat leftovers the next couple days. Buy more clothes so you don't have to do laundry as often. The bottom line is to plan when you want to work on your Halloween projects and schedule everything else around that.

·
Factorial!
949 Posts
time isn't the issue for me. for me it's just getting around to do it. it's hard for me to get the materials for the props on account of needing to be driven to stores and the whole "you need money to buy things" delema.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I learned this a few years back... work all year long. I start projects in January so I can take my time, enjoy what I am doing and not be so rushed in September, October.

Short of that... set expectations that are actually do-able. If you work on a ton of projects and only finish a handful then you will just be frustrated.

It's all about having fun.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like it's time for your husband to clean around the house and do laundry..or he needs to help you with the Halloween projects.
lol! Sometimes I think my husband makes more of a mess by "helping" than by not helping! I would love it if he were as in to Halloween as I am. I think I am secretly converting him to the darkside. He did mention that he would like to build a horse drawn hearse this year, but I'm not holding my breath! :)

As i am working i keep a supply journal with me and when i am running low on a supply or think of something i need for a prop i make a note so i can pick it up.
I think this is a great idea. I have a binder full of project ideas, but it is a huge 3-ring binder and is cumbersome to carry around. I think I'll get a smaller notebook on my work table for this.

Thanks for all the ideas! Keep them coming!

·
Registered
776 Posts
I make time. this is my time either daily or weekly to work on projects halloween or otherwise but the best thing I ever learned was from a boss i hated. "if you want to have a family and a hobby lose sleep"

·
A Great Pumpkin
3,103 Posts
Sit down & look at your daily schedule. Is there a block of an hour after dinner or the kids go to bed, that maybe once or twice a week you could devote to a project? Any time on the weekend where everyone else is occupied & you can have "me" time? Try to figure out and dedicate those 'in between' times to a project.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
I work about 50 hours a week and go to college full time. So I build things very slowly... or start and don't finish them. I actually have a lot of those right now:eek: I think a lot of it is working on props and deisgns when you have the time instead of watching tv or something else.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I actually pay someone now to come into my house every other week to clean and help catch up with house work. . . Takes a huge load off expecially because my haunt is my second job and I'm a single mom.
Your management skills are probably great! Your able to do both. . . Well best of luck to you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts