Halloween Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
There's a pic of our fence in my sig.

It cuts down on the mindless kids who run through, but if you have kids who want in, they'll find a way. We had a small 1.5' gap between the real fence and one of our posts (so we could sneak in and make adjustments). Some of the neighbor kids STILL found a way in through that little gap to touch things.

Stacy

·
Mourning Rose Manor
2,318 Posts
Fence, fence and more fence. Honestly I haven't had too much of a problem with kids walking through. We have a raised wall on our yard which helps, but even at our old house (no raised wall) it wasn't too bad. I think they're scared we have cameras up which is GREAT. Most of the kids are great and super excited to see it all. I have more of a problem with them accidentally leaning on the pillars or fence thinking they're real. Also, winding foliage around and through the fence helps. It looks overgrown and old and it a little more of a barrier. Let's face it though, if they want to get in - THEY'LL GET IN.

My fence:

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I think a Fence would probably do the trick, and so not to sound offensive what a about a sign or two that says something like, Keep Off Spirits On Duty, or Keep of Evil Spirits Guard here. Just a thought anyways

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Guys thank you for all the ideas here.....for sure next year we are gonna have to do something cause we have a lot of kids that come across the lawn. Anther big problem for us is we use those C9 lights and we line a long driveway on both sides & along the front walk. It looks like a landing strip on an airport runway. Theres probably 10 strings along each side. Last year one of the kids tripped over it & 2 lines went out. I'm more worried about the kids getting hurt than damage of the strings of lights. Hopefully next year we can try to organize the yard a little better so I will pull some ideas from this thread.

Muf

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,812 Posts
...ouch. But yah, both of mine are.

But at least he's not creating a new one to cover the same topic.

It's all for the greater good.
Well, yes and no. He's answering a question rather than starting a thread. That said, there's another current thread somewhere discussing this very topic. You know... pick a topic and almost ALWAYS the same topic if brought up every year. It's all good IMO, but I do appreciate the original topics.

Reactions: djjerme

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have cords galore on my lawn. It's truly a mess. One year there was a chunky young man who apparently got left behind from a group that was already by my door. He came running up the driveway and then cut through the lawn. Down he went with a big thump after tripping on the cords. He hit hard and it scared me to death. The next morning I found candy scattered everywhere and knew who had lost it.

After this it was time to keep them off of the lawn. I now have a rope fence as well as 'Keep Off The Grass" signs. So far this has worked well. We also have 2-3 people out front to supervise. Someone someday may not follow the rules but at least we have fences and signs in case of a lawsuit.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I have a fence we use made of yard stakes and chain made out of pipe insulation. I put skulls on top and so far I’ve kept everyone out. The hard reality is all this stuff costs money and doesn’t always have the longest shelf life so you have to protect it.

I did have an incident with a light a few years ago before I did the fence. A little boy stepped forward to see the witches and stomped the light. Which I am certain he didn’t realize he did. But because he stomped the light the motion sensor didn’t fire off which he then yelled to his parents… THIS DOESN’T EVEN WORK!!!

I walked over and tried to fix the light and finally got it back on and of course the prop activated. I’m actually letting people walk in my yard this year which will be interesting. I’m putting down lights for the actual path and really just hoping people keep their hands to themselves and enjoy the show!

Good luck to everyone on keeping your display items safe!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Never had this problem.....until today. There were 3 elderly women walking around in my display taking pictures. My security cameras were going nuts so I went outside. I greeted them nicely and asked that they not walk in the display. I let them know there are metal stakes, live electrical cords and very expensive equipment that I don't want damaged. They continued to ignore me. I went back inside my house. I gave them 10 minutes before I got on the intercom and asked them to please leave. I mean, what nerve!!! I was truly pissed off. Now I need to figure out a way to keep people out. I should also mention I have Very large signs asking people to not walk in the display. Ugh

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Wow this thread is still going on! I took many of the advice here and put up rope lights myself. They are the first things that go up but most valuable the night of.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Never had this problem.....until today. There were 3 elderly women walking around in my display taking pictures. My security cameras were going nuts so I went outside. I greeted them nicely and asked that they not walk in the display. I let them know there are metal stakes, live electrical cords and very expensive equipment that I don't want damaged. They continued to ignore me. I went back inside my house. I gave them 10 minutes before I got on the intercom and asked them to please leave. I mean, what nerve!!! I was truly pissed off. Now I need to figure out a way to keep people out. I should also mention I have Very large signs asking people to not walk in the display. Ugh

I'm really sorry its happening to you. Honestly the easiest and most durable are rope lights with cold steel bars as fence posts.

I even predrilled holes and buried 1/2 pvc posts in the ground where they go each year along the curb to save time.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts