Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I had a problem with kids and parents walking on my lawn to touch my props. As a result a few of them were damanged.

So this year I'm putting up a fence, a large one. *pics to be added later*

But I was curious if anyone else had this problem and what they did to resolve it?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had that problem 4 years ago. It wasn't I had props broken but some were cutting through the yard and were walking over hidden power cords...etc. I built a few 6' sections of PVC fence that I place in key areas (Our house is on a 200' foot corner so that would be ALOT of fencing) and also have cobwebs on which also stretch off to the sides. It seemed to fix the problem since everyone walks up the driveway and have stayed off the lawn since.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had that problem 4 years ago. It wasn't I had props broken but some were cutting through the yard and were walking over hidden power cords...etc. I built a few 6' sections of PVC fence that I place in key areas (Our house is on a 200' foot corner so that would be ALOT of fencing) and also have cobwebs on which also stretch off to the sides. It seemed to fix the problem since everyone walks up the driveway and have stayed off the lawn since.
See I have somewhat of a similar problem.

My fence had to be loooooong. One side is 50 feet and the other is 75 feet and I also am on a corner so to speak because I bump up against an alley.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've had the same problem. Kids running across the lawn from the neighbors house. What HauntedPumpkin said about the power cords. Have the same thing, a few kids triped and did face plants in the yard. Luckly they didn't hit anything solid, other than the ground.:) So we are in the process of making more fence. Have them built, just need to find the time to paint them. Ahhh, hopefully it will stop ToTers from coming up through the yard.

·
Registered
254 Posts
DH and I hate it when people walk through yards regardless of what time of year it is. We added a fence all around this year, but last year we also put up "Caution" tape so it blocked the yard. DH would invite some people though in to take pictures, but since he was there, we were more comfortable of there being no damage caused.

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
I'm planning to set out pvc posts and have chain swags between them. You know, like the velvet ropes in movie theater lines. My friend Tim uses fence. My little sister just has a "Keep off the graves" sign. She says it works, but I still want a railing or fence of some sort.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would like to see pics of the fences. I have seen the pvc and wood fence quite a bit on this forum, but I wonder what other styles there are to keep the TOTers out.

I put up a small chain fence, it is just enough to keep people out. I need to put up something a bit bigger, but not too big to store. I would need about 100'.

Up my walkway I have the several sets of skull lights to keep kids from cutting through that section of the graveyard.

I love to hear all the solutions people have come up with!

·
Registered
708 Posts
I don't have that problem because the Toters actually have to walk through the cemetery, through the back gate and around to the back patio door. I have not had any problems with broken props yet. I do however have to aerate the lawn after the holiday:rolleyes:

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,852 Posts
Fence.

I have a 2.5 foot wire fence with 3 foot columns and even tho the teens and adults could probably step over it, it acts both as a physical and a visual barrier, and I've had NO problems with anyone messing with it.

I would do it even if I wasn't worried about props, because I don't want anyone tripping on cords or my tree's roots.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My fence is nothing fancy and really isn't that great but it serves its purpose. Just wanted to throw that in before anyone thought it would look good :D

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fence.

I have a 2.5 foot wire fence with 3 foot columns and even tho the teens and adults could probably step over it, it acts both as a physical and a visual barrier, and I've had NO problems with anyone messing with it.

I would do it even if I wasn't worried about props, because I don't want anyone tripping on cords or my tree's roots.
And thats a great point. If you make it too easy to step over, some might try it.

Mine is about 4 feet per pole and the chain is about 2.5-3 feet off the groud to make it harder to step over.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nothing has ever worked except solid fencing. I say solid, cause if it looks like it is meant to 'lean on', people will. Signs work ONLY in the daytime in the weeks before 10/31. By the actual evening kids racing from yard to yard, will never even see the sign, much less read and adhere to it.

Swayed ropes, flourescent tape, streamers, etc - every year someone would crawl over or under. Usually to take pictures. As others have suggested, I hope to have a dedciated 'picture taking area and facade' for folks to use this year.

I also started using a very bright (tactical like) flashlight. I strobe it a few times to anyone whos gets too close or is running/pushing. It is surprising effective.

My yard is a 100% minefield of cords, cables, and danger.

Oh an another note, don't make a habit of walking thru yourself (or your own family). It is one of those areas where not leading by example will give creedence to someone else to 'feel free' to stroll thru the minefield. Shouldn't have to be this way, but people are often sheep.

The rolls of construction fencing (white is better looking than orange) is pretty cheap and very effective. Split a roll in two and have a 2' high fence for side areas or walk ways. Then higher solid fencing for high traffic areas or a place where you don't want them to be able to reach as far into the display.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts