Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you decorate the inside of your home, do you go with a theme, or do you just put up various decorations, and center it around a certain piece? The reason I ask is last year I tried for the haunted house look, and failed miserably. This year I am going to try it again, but this time center it around the headless bride I picked up last year.

·
Registered
13,898 Posts
I put out halloween candleholders around the fireplaces. I also have some halloween picture frames and prints that will get used in the house. I have some Dept 56 pieces that I will set out in the kitchen, but for the most part only decorate the entry way for ToTers to see when I open the door. I guess no real theme inside except Halloween. I do decorate outside and like to plan around a theme generally.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I usually put up various decorations, however my taste is generally Gothic aesthetic, so the decorations tend to follow suit, with a spattering of Dept. 56 and Spookytown pieces.
Sorry to hear you didn't like your results. Keep trying!

·
Shadow Crosser
741 Posts
Oh, I get carried away. I do theme areas...pumpkin patch, witch hutch, haunted house, dungeon. I cover the walls in black plastic and build up from there. I have stone paper I hang on the walls for the dungeon area. I like some of the scene setter stuff, like the half wall paneling and crown molding borders for the hunted living room. I had an indoor tree one year (Wish I had pictures of it). A fellow I was dating hung a bunch of eye hooks in the wood cross beam in the ceiling and we collected a bunch of branches and hung them up. Then hung all the goodies in the branches...moss, birds a few fall leaves here and there. With a big pile of leaves at the base. It looked cool under the blue and black lights.

I had a funeral home planned for last year...but had to cancel my murder mystery party due to lack of interest from those I invited. So this year it's going to be a whole new set of people. Sorry got off topic.

I say more is better...just have fun with it...that's what counts.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I do a general Haunted House type feeling at my place. But the kitchen is a bit gorey mixed with witchy...A Mrs. Lovett type kitchen. :) And the bathroom is a little gorey and rat and spider infested. I would say don't get discouraged! Every year, build upon what you have, and soon you'll have an awesomely Haunted House!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Elza, just about every room in your house was decorated? I bet it was a sight to behold. Wish you had pictures of that tree. Does everybody just deck their house out for Halloween parties, or is it like that for the season?

·
Shadow Crosser
741 Posts
I have a couple of years worth of pictures in my profile albums here on the forum....Just not the year that I did the tree. Only had film camera's then and I've never gone back and had the old film put to CD...should look into that. It was really cool because the was a center room support column that I covered for the tree trunk and then all the branches and stuff. Wish I still lived there. I've dreamed of doing something similar again, but have only done cheesy looking paper tree trunk on the wall, with vines on the ceiling. Sheet rock just doesn't handle the weight of branches, not to mention the damage it would do.

I wish I had power tools and someone to teach me to use them because I'd build me an indoor tree....Okay so I love trees..hee haa.

I decorate whether I am having a party or not.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm lucky if Wifeypoo lets me keep a spiderweb in the corner. She just puts out autumn colored fake leaf accutraments around doorways, but that's it. The outside belongs to me...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I decorate just about every room in my house, last year was the 1st year I didn't get to the bathroom, I try for a spooky old house theme. Pictures of the inside are in my album.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I decorate the whole house (except our bedrooms) to create a haunted house. There are several themed vingnettes throughout. Some areas are more spooky elegant while other areas have a little more gore. It is a great idea to begin an area around a favorite piece - for instance your headless bride could be surrounded by bouquets of black roses, some thrown about, an old ringbearers pillow, an old love letter - if you don't have the groom you could build a groom. Maybe he was the murderer or another victim. There are so many different directions you can go with a bride. This could be in one area in your house and you could have a different idea your bring in another room. As you build, you can repeat a similar element. For instance, I have a lot of skulls that appear throughout. Eventually -- it will all flow. Not to say you couldn't create an entire house filled with a haunted wedding theme that would be very cool too.

Also -- lighting and sheets covering furniture - go along way in creating a haunted house feel.

Here is a link to our decorations last year. I haven't had time to add them to my albums.

DECORATIONS 2008 remix by kimb1023 - Photobucket

·
Registered
574 Posts
We decorate inside as well as out. No theme other than Halloween. We have a lot of old stuff that we have picked up over the years. Never get tired of looking at it. Decorate all rooms except the bedrooms. Well we do put lighted decorations in the bedroom windows but thats it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I purchased a black Christmas tree with clear lights last Christmas. I will decorate it with all sorts of Halloween things and put it in my foyer. I can't wait!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
B Scary, the inside of your home looks fantastic. That is the look I want. The blue lights that are by the pictures on the coffee table, what are those? Do they sell fake halloween candles that look real? I am not positive if I saw any in stores last year.

·
Registered
490 Posts
B Scary, the inside of your home looks fantastic. That is the look I want. The blue lights that are by the pictures on the coffee table, what are those? Do they sell fake halloween candles that look real? I am not positive if I saw any in stores last year.
The lights are small battery operated black lights that I got a Spencers. They are a great way to add a little black light where you can't have cords. I use real candles but there were some great threads on here last year about candles made from PVC and hot glue that I was going to give a try this year. Here are a couple that I found but you can search PVC Candles and get several options to choose from.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/73217-pvc-candle-build.html

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/77208-candles-pvc.html

1 - 18 of 18 Posts