Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a foam filled attack dog (well, front half of a dog anyway) from Fright Props and I'm looking for suggestions on how to attach it to a cylinder. I want the dog to thrust forward via pneumatic cylinder, but I'm unsure how to fasten the cylinder to the foam prop.

Any suggestions?

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,460 Posts
One way would to build a track with a platform to attach the cylinder to then attach the prop to the platform. That way you're not attaching the cylinder to the foam.

·
Registered
178 Posts
foam is just not that stong usually if there is aarmature or skeleton to attach to it is embedded in the foam to suvive the repeated thrusting of a cylinder you can try cutting in and imbedding a pvc pipe of aluminum frame then using sprayfoam to attach it i have a toxic barrel prop with a schedule40 pipe and cap inside of a mask just greatstuf filling it and bonding it too the mask

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys are correct - There is nothing rigid inside the foam dog prop. I can't embed the cylinder itself, because then it couldn't retract. I can't attach the cylinder to the "skin" because it would never hold.

Inserting something inside and foaming it could work. I'm not following the track suggestion.

·
Registered
178 Posts
for the mask head and put a foot long section of 2" pvc pipe with a PVC cap on it drilled the cap put a washer on end of cylinder put rod through cap tightened on a nylon lock nut then foamed the pipe into the head the foam dries real hard after a couple days like 2 if you dont wait it is still soft inside so dont rush your tests

the other type of cylinders are linear motion ones like long slides that would mean a rail under your dog and some sort of bracket mounted on the interior make sure your pvc pipe is big enough to fit down over your cylinder when retracted

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
Instead of using Great Stuff as an adhesive, try a polyurethane glue like Gorilla Glue.
Spray a very light mist of water onto the area you want to put the glue. One part polyurethanes like Great Stuff and Gorilla Glue need moisture to cure. Usually there's enough moisture in the air, but if it's a thick layer of Great Stuff or the glue is where the air can't get to it, it'll need the extra water.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,460 Posts
trexmgd;1178899 I'm not following the track suggestion.[/QUOTE said:
Imagine a setup like a small railroad track or drawer slides, a platform rides on the track that the cylinder is attached to then attach the prop to the platform............

·
Registered
43 Posts
You know I'm having the same problem..I used a pvc pipe and some great stuff and the pipe is held solid inside the dog...However, my problem is the dog, pipe, and foam are now too heavy for the cylinder to effectively retract the dog..So now I'm thinking about building a track system for the dog to ride on..

If anyone has any ideas or diagrams on how to accomplish this please post!

Thanks

·
cheap and easy
2,294 Posts
You know I'm having the same problem..I used a pvc pipe and some great stuff and the pipe is held solid inside the dog...However, my problem is the dog, pipe, and foam are now too heavy for the cylinder to effectively retract the dog..So now I'm thinking about building a track system for the dog to ride on..

If anyone has any ideas or diagrams on how to accomplish this please post!

Thanks
Go into you kitchen and pull out a cabinet drawer. Now picture that drawer with the front off and your prop mounted to the bottom and your air cylinder to the back of the drawer.

Instead of you pushing it shut or pulling it open the air cylinder replaces that part

·
Registered
899 Posts
Here's how I did my eel that I got from Bobzilla. He installed the PVC in it when it was made so I didn't need to do that step but this setup works great.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, now I see what you guy are talking about with the sliding rig - Nice set up Halstaff!

Here is a pic of the dog I'm working with:
BEnyY.jpg

Knowing that I want to keep the dogs claws free for launching the dog up and towards the victim (I don't want the dog standing on a tray that slides horizontally). Looking at the top right side shot of the dog, how do you recommend I rig up a slide mount?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I have some monster linear slides. 42 inch stroke. If you attach the rear of the dog to the slide plate and angle it upward it will look like the dog is running at you ready to attack. This will give you a running and jumping effect. Linear Slides require quite a bit of air so be warned and can get expensive but the stroke is unmatched to a normal cylinder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts