Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use the wood and cement/bucket method. i buy really cheap cement,pour it in bucket and place long wood pillars in the cement in the bucketWhat method do you use??

·
Registered
317 Posts
haunt wall panels

All the haunts I work with use a modular wall system built out of 4'x8' sheet of 3/8" plywood backed with a 2x4 frame. Basically you outline the plywood on the back with 2x4's and put a short crossmember in the middle. We also build double wall panels, that are 8'x8' (2 sheets of plywood), which make it easier to build longer walls that are more sturdy. Same principle applies here, where you create a frame, then "skin" it with the plywood (2 sheets of plywood for double panels). On a haunt we built in 2006, we put together a total of 1100 wall panels (about 300 single panels and 400 double panels). Each double panel counts as 2 panels.

When you build your haunt with this type of system, it is very easy to maintain a 4' wide path throughout the haunt, making it ADA accessible and meeting most (if not all) fire codes. I can't imagine a fire code requiring more than 4' of width through any walkway. In addition, your doors can be made from the single wall-panels as well...

One really nice feature about using a modular system that I like is the ability to build drop panels directly into a single wall panel (or any other feature/decoration/prop you want) and then replace entire panels in the haunt and relocate these items wherever you want.

Anyway,
Just my 2 cents...

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah my dad used that same system a while back, but he stopped and i took over. The only problem is im not construction savvy so i just stick w/ my technique. the past 2 halloweens iv been using my sysytem but next year i want to go back to (wood and nails) because it a way better affect.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Interesting enough I tried the cement and bucket technique last year, it was an EPIC failure. Any little amount of wind was knocking over the walls regardless of what we tried to do, we cut holes in the plastic, put extra weight on the bottom, it was a BIG mess to do. Needless to say this year we will be using actual OSB panel walls much like mentioned above. I'm sure the concrete and bucket method could work, just make sure it isn't a windy area that you're using it in.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Could you make the wall frames out of pvc pipe???? It was someting i was thinking about trying.Let me know if you think this would work. I was also thinking about using tarps for the actual walls.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could you make the wall frames out of pvc pipe???? It was someting i was thinking about trying.Let me know if you think this would work. I was also thinking about using tarps for the actual walls.
Yes you can make wall frames out of pvc pipe. Many of the neighborhood haunts around me do so. they say its very simple and alot cheaper then buying wood. During the october season its gets very windy wich may be somewhat of a problem. and i use my tarps for the walls. Every wall in my haunt is completely made of tarp, i have a hard time w/ wood so i just stick with tarp walls. i would suggest cutting holes in your tarp walls so that the wind will blow through the hole of the tarp instead of completely blowing you haunt away. this technique works 60-75% of the time​

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting enough I tried the cement and bucket technique last year, it was an EPIC failure. Any little amount of wind was knocking over the walls regardless of what we tried to do, we cut holes in the plastic, put extra weight on the bottom, it was a BIG mess to do. Needless to say this year we will be using actual OSB panel walls much like mentioned above. I'm sure the concrete and bucket method could work, just make sure it isn't a windy area that you're using it in.
how much did your panel walls cost you? my family always did the panel walls but i found more simple ways for me (not wood savvy may i remind you) but i would love to go back to wood bcuz it just has more of that haunted feel to it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Wooden framed haunt walls

Here is a little bit of a price breakdown for building wooden walls, while it is somewhat expensive up front, you'll use the walls for years and they'll hardly ever wear out. You'll need 28 lineal feet of 2x4 for the frame of a single wall panel, and one sheet of 3/8" CDX plywood. I would stay away from OSB only because it splinters a lot and people are always bouncing into the walls and feeling along them with their fingers.

Qty 3.5 - 2"x4"x8' = $6
Qty 1 - full 4'x8' sheet of 3/8" CDX plywood = $7

Now these are prices you would find at a lumber yard, in pallet quantity, but you could probably get close to this at your local Home Depot/Lowes/Menards.

So, $13 for a single wall panel may sound like a lot, but think of what you can do with just a few wall panels...

View attachment 7241

This little haunt takes up a lot of space and only uses 84 wall panels. At $13 per wall panel, you're only looking at around $1100. If you're young and can't spend that much money yet, just build a few walls and integrate them into your existing haunt. Within a few years, you'll have the sweetest home haunt around!!! Obviously you'll have to add the price of screws and nails (nail framing together, but screw plywood on), but still those prices are rather negligible.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a little bit of a price breakdown for building wooden walls, while it is somewhat expensive up front, you'll use the walls for years and they'll hardly ever wear out. You'll need 28 lineal feet of 2x4 for the frame of a single wall panel, and one sheet of 3/8" CDX plywood. I would stay away from OSB only because it splinters a lot and people are always bouncing into the walls and feeling along them with their fingers.

Qty 3.5 - 2"x4"x8' = $6
Qty 1 - full 4'x8' sheet of 3/8" CDX plywood = $7

Now these are prices you would find at a lumber yard, in pallet quantity, but you could probably get close to this at your local Home Depot/Lowes/Menards.

So, $13 for a single wall panel may sound like a lot, but think of what you can do with just a few wall panels...

View attachment 7241

This little haunt takes up a lot of space and only uses 84 wall panels. At $13 per wall panel, you're only looking at around $1100. If you're young and can't spend that much money yet, just build a few walls and integrate them into your existing haunt. Within a few years, you'll have the sweetest home haunt around!!! Obviously you'll have to add the price of screws and nails (nail framing together, but screw plywood on), but still those prices are rather negligible.

wow thanx alot man! i really appreciate all your help and advice. im going to start on a few walls this year just to get going on my panel collection for years to come. this really helped out alot

·
Registered
99 Posts
Very nice, I actually ended up using the 1x2's and just drilling them straight into the deck using some L brackets, it was very sturdy and worked pretty darn good. I love the paint on your foam walls, what paint did you use to make the green glow effect on them?

·
Registered
99 Posts
awesome, I actually have 4 or 5 bottles of that sitting around that I never used last years, I will keep that in mind when doing walls this year!

·
Registered
130 Posts
dionicia,

I was looking at the walls that you made and have a few questions:

In your pictures, you show the back which is great but what does the bottoms look like? Do they have feet or are they supported from above?

In the facade picture, does it get windy? I am assuming you have some type of framing support on the back side. Was wondering how you keep something that large and flat from toppling.

·
Registered
12,918 Posts
I hear you from one Arizonian to another.....:D
People don't realize when it gets nice to build in other areas it is oven like here lol
Your haunt looks amazing I would love to come out and see it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Last year we used pallets for most of our walls. they were FREE and easy and they looked great! you can get free pallets off of craigslist. here are some pics to give you an idea of what they looked like.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Last year we used pallets for most of our walls. they were FREE and easy and they looked great! you can get free pallets off of craigslist. here are some pics to give you an idea of what they looked like.

Wow thats awsome. How are u keepin the walls standing up? what are u attaching all the walls to so they are not falling? for example if i were to walk through your pallet hallway and looked directly up, would there be a piece of wood attached to the halls to keep them standing up?

·
cheap and easy
2,294 Posts
Always check for reject lumber at places like Home Depot. You can get great deals on 2x4,2x6,2x8,2x2 at different lengths for a fraction of their regular cost. I've picked up 100s of 2x4,2x6,2x8,2x2 some 16 foot long for around 50 cents each, none over 1 dollar at Home Depot....like in this picture.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts