Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several air powered props that I built over the years.
This year I want to add sound to some of them when they activate. I want to use an amplified sound recorder, which is simple enough. Can anyone tell me a good way to trigger the sound recorder when the prop is activated.
I am triggering the solenoids of the air props with motion (Combo Flex ECT) detectors from Haunt Master Products. These work great. I want to be able to trigger a sound recorder at the same time. Can anyone help?

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
If you're using something like the Cowliacious sound board Cowlacious Audio Products you trip it using a dry contact which is a relay that has power to the coil so it opens and closes just like the relay the controls the prop but there is no power on the contacts instead you basically wire the trip terminals on the board to each side of the contacts on the relay and when it closes it activates the sound board. But as Otaku said it really depends on what your using for the sound card.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have a board that might be able to do what you are looking for. It is an MP3 player that has a trigger input. Each time it is triggered it will select a random audio track and play it. The PIR sensor in the photo is from Parallax which works very well - its about $10. The audio tracks are stored on a SD card and the quality of the audio will rival an iPod. It has a headphone jack that you can connect to any power speakers made for an iPod or your PC. There is also a delay function that allows you to select how long after the audio track finishes playing before it will accept another trigger. It also has a 'trigger out' connection that will provide a 5V signal as long as the audio track is playing in case you want it to control something else like a relay for lights etc. It runs off a dc power supply between 9 and 12V. The production boards will cost about $100 but I have some 'beta' boards that I could probably give you for less if you are interested. Send me a PM if you are interested.
View attachment 4494

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
scareisburg
I actually found the Cowlacious products right after I posted this thread. You are right about the relay. The Flex ECT motion detector basically just provides power when the sensor is triggered. Power is sent to the solenoid to activate my prop. So if I can power a normally off relay at the same time and trigger the sound, that is what I want. The only thing about that product is the format of the sound file and getting the sound byte to the chip. Reading their manuals, which are not great, it looks like I might have to record to the chip while playing a sound file from a source such as iTunes while cabled to the input of the board.

Azdude
Can I trigger your board with a relay? Also, how do I put mp3 files on the chip?
The ability to trigger something else like lights is interesting.
Here is the scenario.
This year I will have a voodoo room. I have a Ouija board that moves by itself.
I have a really scary female voodoo queen prop. Last year she just sat at the table with the Ouija board. This year I am going to modify my old coffin situp prop. I am going to mount her to the mechanism and when people come close to the Ouija to look, she will sit up from behind the table. Scary huh. I want her to scream and was also thinking of having her hold some type of rattle or noise maker. If could trigger that device as well when she sits up, that would care the you know what out of guests.

Thanks

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Azdude
I see that you are using an SD card for the sound files. I am guessing that you dont actually move the files to a chip. You just read the files from the SD. Correct?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Fright Ideas has the best bang for buck of everything I've seen on the market yet....Even the cowlacious stuff if you add all the individual parts up....No one else adds the sound option all in one convenient box for the same money....That being said if all you want to do is add sound then I second the cowlacious recorders but if your starting from scratch, it's hard to beat the boobox series....ZR

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hauntcrazy - you need a 5V signal to trigger the mp3 player - that could come from a sensor itself (like the PIR sensor I show in the photo) or a signal from a relay.

As far as the audio tracks are concerned you are correct - you don't put them on the chip - you copy them onto an SD card and the player reads the tracks off the card. If your computer does not have a slot for this type of card built in you can buy a USB card reader for about $15.

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
I agree with Zombie Raider the fright Ideas boo box 104 or 105 include the sound capability and are very easy to use, you record the sound in the same manner as with the cowlacious board by connecting to the speaker output of your computer or other device. However you still need to purchase something to trip it, ie motions sensor, pressure mat etc.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
In theory those pirs should work though I've never tried them with the pico series....If you do decide to go that route, one small downfall of the pico series is there is no timed "off period" so it will retrigger right after the scare sound if someone is still standing there...The way I found around this is to keep recording silence after the scare sound,that way you trick the pico into thinking it's still playing the scare sound....As long as it is playing through the scare it can't be retriggered so if you record say 20 seconds of silence after the scare sound, people will get bored trying to retrigger it and move on....They really are great little boxes....They actually have other new products that aren't even on their site yet but I happened across them the other night at fright props store site....Good Luck!...ZR

1 - 12 of 12 Posts