Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like things somewhat neat, and my haunt comes off as a messy scattered array of props and tombstones. I am mostly concerned about the Graveyard. I was thinking of ditching pumpkin nester, replacing fence...heck I don't know where to begin. What are your thoughts? The house is huge inside, but the outside footprint is much smaller and doesn't leave much space for yard and is a whole lotta garage. Here are a few pics to help you visualize my yard:

IMG_6143.jpg

IMG_6134.jpg

IMG_6145.jpg

IMG_6131.jpg

·
Celtic Spirit
2,100 Posts
Looks great to me! Definitely keep pumpkin nester, he looks fantastic hanging from that fabulous tree! Maybe put the marshmallow inflatable near the ghost buster car. I'm not sure what that skelly is doing, is he laying on a bench? Sit him upright and place the candelabra in front of a tombstone. Sorry I don't have more suggestions for you but I really think your yard has a great Halloween atmosphere.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I understand what you are saying. It looks OK the way it is now but for those who like more order a little rearranging would help. I too think the inflatable ghost needs to be by the ghost buster car. I use little vignettes in my cemetery. (It helps me with my sense of order, little scenes sprinkled throughout the cemetery) The columns by the garage could be put at the entrance of the yard leading to the door. If those tall columns are headstones, then put them in with the other headstones. A lot of people randomly place headstones but I like mine in rows. Some up lighting on the large tree in the center of the yard could provide a focal point for the scene. Your eye needs s place of rest, to recognize the center or core of the cemetery before wandering off to other areas. Moving the reaper from the front right side of your cemetery maybe to where you currently have the inflatable ghost would make him more of the main part of the scene. This is my cemetery, it might help you see better what I am talking about. https://www.facebook.com/resurrectionvale/

If you have any questions about how I organize my cemetery message me.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I understand what you are saying. It looks OK the way it is now but for those who like more order a little rearranging would help. I too think the inflatable ghost needs to be by the ghost buster car. I use little vignettes in my cemetery. (It helps me with my sense of order, little scenes sprinkled throughout the cemetery) The columns by the garage could be put at the entrance of the yard leading to the door. If those tall columns are headstones, then put them in with the other headstones. A lot of people randomly place headstones but I like mine in rows. Some up lighting on the large tree in the center of the yard could provide a focal point for the scene. Your eye needs s place of rest, to recognize the center or core of the cemetery before wandering off to other areas. Moving the reaper from the front right side of your cemetery maybe to where you currently have the inflatable ghost would make him more of the main part of the scene. This is my cemetery, it might help you see better what I am talking about. https://www.facebook.com/resurrectionvale/

If you have any questions about how I organize my cemetery message me.
Yes, I would draw things together into vignettes, too. I think it looks very nice, though I don't do inflatables (though probably should have for my kids before I went straight spooky/scary). One specific recco might be to create a family plot vignette using low fencing, as a focal point. Also, consider getting vertical with the tree. Hanging stuff from branches is one way, but this year I am going to create a "tree of woe" by attaching various mostly static props up the trunk of the tree, couple skellie cages, etc. Maybe some spiders. That's an awesome tree for Halloween, btw.

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
Hey, great to see you back for this season! Nice set up and some really nice props in there that I see. Even like your escaped skelemingo; made me laugh. And the ghost buster car...Nice! Marshmellow Man does need to be closer to it though. I too would not get rid of Pumpkin Nester. You are fortunate to have such a great tree to display him on.

If I were making changes to "declutter" and organize differently, I'd look first at the cemetery. Right now it covers the whole yard space and I would probably give it a section of the yard, add taller fencing making something to peer into. Use what props made sense around the tombstones, like if you had an Icabod Crane one have the HH (gosh I love that GR Prop) standing over it. I'd add pumpkins around the tree with Pumpkin Nester. The hanging ghost and reaper could go in the graveyard too using tall shepard hooks. I love the super tall what swamp hag? And I see another super tall reaper with candles?? over by a garage (not sure if that's yours). I might use them near the walkway where kids have to pass to get their candy as kind of a subtle scary thing to pass by. If you are picking up anything new for this year, I'd think of working it into a vignette like others have said. If you don't use HH in the graveyard he would be a good prop to figure out a small vignette to work around him.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Wow what a tree! After looking at your yard I thought it was good and you have some really great elements but after reading everyone's ideas for you I am excited to not only see the result after you "organize" but it has given me some great ideas for changing mine up. We have such great and giving forum members! I hope you will post pictures after of this years graveyard!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, you definitely left me with a bunch of ideas. I'm going to look into these and re-arrange.

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
I see from a thread you started that you picked up the HD horse, howling wolf, and winged gargoyles. Those will make nice additions and the Horse is the perfect accompaning piece for your HH. If you are using the cocooned man again, some poseable spiders climbing up the garage and around him would be nice. I like how your yard has vertical elements to it.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I love the idea of adding pumpkins under your tree with the hanging Pumpkin Nester. You could even use a skeleton sitting up holding a pumpkin. I have used skeletons like that in the past.

Attachments

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,840 Posts
Cool Ghostbusters car! Keep the graveyard separate from the Ghostbusters stuff. Move the Stay Puft Marshmallow inflatable closer to it or move the car elsewhere with him, maybe get the Slimer inflatable if you can. You could dress the skellys up in Ghostbuster uniforms.

Overall the graveyard looks cool, but if you wanna clean it up, keep the Ghostbusters stuff separate.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Some great ideas here! I think you've done a good job already, but I, too, am a sort of "organized" person and I agree with a lot of the advice that you've been given. I prefer to have our yard set-up look "right" to me, so I try to group like items with like items. This was hard for my DH and I at first because we would buy anything that we liked & then try to make it fit in. We realized that even though that CAN work, it wasn't working for US because we wanted more unity.

So, we decided that our yard setup would consist of "areas" - a cemetery area, a haunted cornfield area, and we are slowly starting what will eventually be a Witch Shack area. For us, if a prop doesn't fit into one of those scenes, we think hard about whether we're really going to get it. :confused:

For your display, one thing that I would recommend besides grouping "like with like", is to consider height as you go as well. Our eyes are often most pleased if we aren't darting up, down & all around & more have a flow to follow. So, walk across the street sometime as you are putting things out & look at what is jumping out at you & whether or not it could be "more balanced".

In your yard, if your stuff belonged to me, here's what I'd do - I'd leave your Pumpkin Nestor hanging where it is in that tree, and add some hay bales, some pumpkins & maybe even a couple cornstalks to make a bit of a pumpkin display there. A skeleton or two there is fine as well. Also under the tree, just to the right of Pumpkin Nestor, is where I'd set up your HH and new horse skelly. A few carved pumpkins can be around there too, but this spot is sort of the center point of your yard and IMHO, the horse & Headless Horseman are the focal point anyway.

As recommended, move Stay Puff over to the Ghostbusters car. I would change the layout a bit of your cemetery and have it come forward in front of Pumpkin Nestor, a bit more on the left of your front yard. I'd probably move that Witch or Grim Reaper dude that's in the front right corner of your yard to in front of the electrical boxes to help hide them, along with a tombstone or two & maybe some piles of bones. I'd move the fencing instead of all along the front of your yard to outline the cemetery more on the left side of your yard so that it's more separate spaces.

The other hanging ghouls that you have hanging from your tree (besides Nestor), I would move to hang in front of your garage. You can string a wire in front of your garage doors or insert a long, skinny PVC pipe there temporarily, and hang the beasties there to bring the eye up towards the house.

Anyway, this is all really just personal taste. There is NOTHING wrong with your display as is, I'm just throwing out some ideas for you since you asked.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some great ideas here! I think you've done a good job already, but I, too, am a sort of "organized" person and I agree with a lot of the advice that you've been given. I prefer to have our yard set-up look "right" to me, so I try to group like items with like items. This was hard for my DH and I at first because we would buy anything that we liked & then try to make it fit in. We realized that even though that CAN work, it wasn't working for US because we wanted more unity.

So, we decided that our yard setup would consist of "areas" - a cemetery area, a haunted cornfield area, and we are slowly starting what will eventually be a Witch Shack area. For us, if a prop doesn't fit into one of those scenes, we think hard about whether we're really going to get it. :confused:

For your display, one thing that I would recommend besides grouping "like with like", is to consider height as you go as well. Our eyes are often most pleased if we aren't darting up, down & all around & more have a flow to follow. So, walk across the street sometime as you are putting things out & look at what is jumping out at you & whether or not it could be "more balanced".

In your yard, if your stuff belonged to me, here's what I'd do - I'd leave your Pumpkin Nestor hanging where it is in that tree, and add some hay bales, some pumpkins & maybe even a couple cornstalks to make a bit of a pumpkin display there. A skeleton or two there is fine as well. Also under the tree, just to the right of Pumpkin Nestor, is where I'd set up your HH and new horse skelly. A few carved pumpkins can be around there too, but this spot is sort of the center point of your yard and IMHO, the horse & Headless Horseman are the focal point anyway.

As recommended, move Stay Puff over to the Ghostbusters car. I would change the layout a bit of your cemetery and have it come forward in front of Pumpkin Nestor, a bit more on the left of your front yard. I'd probably move that Witch or Grim Reaper dude that's in the front right corner of your yard to in front of the electrical boxes to help hide them, along with a tombstone or two & maybe some piles of bones. I'd move the fencing instead of all along the front of your yard to outline the cemetery more on the left side of your yard so that it's more separate spaces.

The other hanging ghouls that you have hanging from your tree (besides Nestor), I would move to hang in front of your garage. You can string a wire in front of your garage doors or insert a long, skinny PVC pipe there temporarily, and hang the beasties there to bring the eye up towards the house.

Anyway, this is all really just personal taste. There is NOTHING wrong with your display as is, I'm just throwing out some ideas for you since you asked.

Thanks for the info but with the way you're explaining it everything would be on the left, or are you saying to leave most of the grave stones throughout the yard?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I can see nothing to really change or improve with your yard.
I set up a theme here 29 years ago and it ain't changing!
My major exterior items are 1950 Hudson car bodies, because those 50s was when it was really "HAPPENING!"
One next to front door is painted as a Taxi Cab,impacting the house, head-on, the one upright against the house is a Police Car, another one which seems to be exiting the house through a second floor wall is also a Police car (and one of these Hudsons was an actual Police CAR! Loose bullets in the trunk and a siren mounted under the hood!)
Another Hudson is on top of the cupola roof about 50 feet high, it has a tail and wing with landing gear. (Think Buck Rogers)
Yet another Hudson is in my side yard in mid-flight as it jumps the guard rail and is in the process of shattering my outhouse!
The house is an 1865 Italianate with the first floor painted flat Black, gradually turning to grey them light grey as it goes upward. I wanted a "Floating" look for the house at night.
Recently I was interviewed and asked "WHY? My alibi or excuse:"I am a child of the early 1950s when everything was happening! Anything seemed possible, nuclear subs, jet planes, rocket planes, faster cars, quicker lap times, Science Fiction movies! Horror classics (revisited)
Many kids my age had tremendous enthusiasm for "What will happen tomorrow?" The vaccine for Polio!

·
Registered
293 Posts
YES, GET RID OF THE PUMPKIN NESTER, I'll help out by sending money to ship him TO ME!!!
First, nothing wrong with what your doing.
IMHO, the 1st move of upping your game is a taller fence (if you have storage).
Then following suggestions given of grouping mini scenes, built around props you own and expand upon there.
Group the headstones in more of a row layout, actual graveyard, with some different heights, and spacing between , unused plots.
I love the fresh grave look, dirt on top of landscape material and old shovel, stuck in ground.
And if your not going to send the pumpklin nester to me, yes use him as suggested.
good luck
Jerseyscare

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,773 Posts
With the way I feel about my own cemetery I want the placement of the stones to provide as real a cemetery look and feel as possible. Most of the cemeteries around me the stones are in straight lines and are uniformly spaced. For someone who likes "order" the randomness of the stones placement might be what is bothering you and giving you the "messy" feel. I think if you organize them in straighter lines with equal spacing it will bring you a sense of order. You might consider bringing them a little closer and the ones at the back forward for a tighter feel. The other thing that might help with your personal impression of your yard is moving the front stones back away from the fence a little more. If a real person was buried in the graves closest to your fence their feet might be under the sidewalk.

I'm going against the majority but I would move Pumpkin Nester out of the cemetery and consider sending him to Jerseycare unless you have another area to use him. To me, skeletons, zombies, reapers and ghosts reside in a cemetery...pumpkins reside in an agricultural/farming setting with rustic wood fences, corn stalks and other pumpkins.

Most importantly don't sweat it. At the end of the day, I am sure the changes you make will be for you because we all know the kids in your area already love what you are doing.

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
2,006 Posts
I personally love your cemetery! I love old graveyards where the stones are scattered & leaning. But the main thing that popped out to me was how busy the fence is with the skulls. Something more basic and less obtrusive (like the black PVC fences people make) I think would look better. Good luck & can't wait to see what you do!

·
Registered
803 Posts
I think it looks great too! But, like most people have already said, if you want it more "organized" definitely work with vignettes, special areas and very directed lighting. Start with the large pieces that have the most impact and then make groupings of props and/or stones around them. Highlight these areas by adding pin lights that hit them directly. When the grouping starts looking too "cluttered" that's when it's time to pull some things out or move them to another area of the yard.

It's very similar to accessorizing your home!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
If you have money to throw at a fence but no time to make one. What I did was get fence panels at Lowes and put the fence panels together using cpvc that was painted black with a store bought plastic finial on top. To set up my fence I use rebar pounded into the ground and slip the cpcc over it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts