Halloween Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Here's an example of the following eyes effect on a homemade Madame Leota tombstone. This is someone's video off YouTube and I can't remember if they were on this forum or not.

https://youtu.be/mCAvP3VrHD0

I few years ago I did this same effect. It uses the reverse or hollowed out eye technique similar to the following busts in the Haunted Mansion. I also added a hacked motion sensor on the "test" mode that turned on the internal LED when someone walked close to my cemetery fence but immediately turned off when it sensed no motion. It gave the appearance of the tombstone opening her eyes on and off and while they were on they'd follow you no matter where you stood!

Unfortunately I can't find the video of my own tombstone in action but I'll see if I can track it down and and add it here. I was amazed at how well the effect works. I had people almost arguing about who the eyes were actually following!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have checked this site and I can't find anything that really tells me how to build props with eyes that follow you.

Does anyone know how to make that illusion?
In a painting you use contours. Watch some videos about countouring and this Shadow effect will create a depth that makes the eyes follow you.

To get the right tone look at a color wheel and it's the opposite tone. Shades of green under that final cote will help this look more realistic.
Make sure you also put the glisten in the eye.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
This is a 2004 thread but always a fun project. I remember buying a clear plastic bowl years ago to make one of these like Dave Lowe did.

Not the same but a similar effect — For a window projection solution of a roving eyeball instead, the kids in my neighborhood have always loved the Eyeball one from Mark Gervais. Hallowindow. The simple, single green “The Eye” ($4 CAD) really is a favorite. One of his early projections too. Looks like he has revamped his website. Hallowindow is not dead — Hallowindow

Mark was the first to popularize window projections that I was aware of and educated me on how to cheaply and easily set them up. And while I have bought many projections since from other people/companies I still like his work. Always reasonably priced.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,098 Posts
I don't know if anyone knows this but if the person in any portrait is looking directly at the "camera" (so to speak) it will appear that the eyes follow you no matter where you stand. You don't even have to really do anything for this to happen.

The Mona Lisa is a famous example of this phenomenon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can use the physics of David Lowe's eyeball to create other eyes that follow your visitors. All you need to have is something that acts as an eyeball and place the pupil at the back instead of the front. The internal workings of the human brain does all the rest. We used the illusion to make it look as if our O'Lantern Family mausoleum has eyes that watch folks as they walk by the haunt. Sometimes the kids saw it on their own, sometimes we told them to watch and they would walk back and forth with their new found knowledge telling all their friends. Here it is being tested before the haunt went up.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts