Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mistress of Darkness
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have checked this site and I can't find anything that really tells me how to build props with eyes that follow you.

Does anyone know how to make that illusion?

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
The low tech way is to use lenticular portraits, but this is not something that is practical as a home made project.

The high tech way is it..... hm...... actually there isn't one, Ive had some ideas on this front but nothing that has encouraged me to pursue it

you could of course have a person behind the portrait controlling the eyes, however, this doesnt really sound like a very efficient use of manpower

·
Registered
594 Posts
I think I saw someone cut a ping pong ball in half, make a black dot in the center for the pupel, then cut out the eyes on a framed picture/portrait and secured the halfed ball to the back of the painting behind each eye. So that you see the inside of the ball with the dot. The illusion should follow you as you walk by. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I think I saw someone cut a ping pong ball in half, make a black dot in the center for the pupel, then cut out the eyes on a framed picture/portrait and secured the halfed ball to the back of the painting behind each eye. So that you see the inside of the ball with the dot. The illusion should follow you as you walk by. Does that make sense?
Freaky! I like it! It is the inverted bust concept just scaled down to eyeball size.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
You can use those white face masks,turn them around,spray the inside with a neon color,put it inside a shadow box & whalla following face !
For a picture, get a pic with a portrait on it,cut out the eyes (oval) take a pic of real eyes or pic of, & place them behind the pic were the eyes were about an inch behind the rear of pic.When you walk by the eyes will follow you illusion !!

·
The Voice of DOOM
778 Posts
The "monster eye" method is the one that I know of too.
Hmmm, I have a second floor window that is woefully underutilized at halloween...

DB

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not sure you can find them now, but I found out by accident last year that the old Don Post 3D portraits if viewed from behind work very well for this.

http://shadyplace.net/Halloween/IMG_0759.jpg

I've incorporated it into a monster mud reaper with a black light illuminating it from the front side ("normal "side) of the portrait. The plastic is thin enough for the glow to show through. Maybe those with the vacuum molds could make their own versions of the portraits. Just coat the convex side ("normal") with glow in the dark paint and shading for the eyes and mouth, then have the tot'r view it from the concave side.

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
I have done this.... take a photo and cut out the eyes.

Make eyeballs on a piece of paper or cardboard and situate that with a gap behind the photo with the cutout eyes. The space between the layers creates the illusion of the eyes following you.

You simply take the cutout eyeballs and paste them to a strip of paper and make it into a u shape that attaches behind the cutout. (too confusing?)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I just tried the big eye.
worked fantastic.
I was skeptical on useing a clear bowl sanded down.

I set the light off center from behind. and it really gave it a cool look.
the whole eye didnt glow so bright that all you noticed was the iris moving. you see highlights and shaded areas giving it a really great 3 d illusion.

I dont think the Pic posted did it justice.

also pick up some ping pong balls after seeing the great results from SB.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I just tried the big eye.
worked fantastic.
I was skeptical on useing a clear bowl sanded down.

I set the light off center from behind. and it really gave it a cool look.
the whole eye didnt glow so bright that all you noticed was the iris moving. you see highlights and shaded areas giving it a really great 3 d illusion.

I dont think the Pic posted did it justice.

also pick up some ping pong balls after seeing the great results from SB.
LOL- I've got my pair of giant eyes made and now I just have to hang them. :D

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
OK here is a new one I added the security camera to mine. I already spooked the little lady with this one LOL.
"Make it stop looking at meeeee.. Put that out side right NOW!!! LOLOLOL

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Oh yeah the eyes were those plastic eye balls from Halloween stores and the there are 2 types get the really bright white ones they glow under back light the not so white (yellowish/tan) don't. I'll post more pics soon.
Cheers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts