Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making a dead rag doll costume for my daughter and need some tips on how to make the wig. I have black and pink yarn that I want to create either pony tails or braids with. After google search some have suggested glueing the hair to a shower cap, some have suggested sewing the yard to paper. Any experienced advice would be much appreciated!

I also posted this in the costume section but thought you crafty people might have different ideas!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm wanting to do a dead doll for myself and wanted to be a rag doll. I found a very helpful video on YouTube on how to do it, it's under evil clown wig I think. I'm sorry I can't be more specific. But what the video says to do is very simple and time consuming. The easiest thing to do is get a hair net with the diamond holes in it. Then get about 4 rolls of thick wool in whatever color you're using. Start at the bottom in the back. Take your wool and cut in the length you want. The bottom will always be shorter than the top. Take the bottom strings through one of the bottom holes and then to the hole next to it till they are even lengths then tie them. Just do a loose knot, and if you want the hair to go a certain way make sure to pull it that way when you tie it. After you do two peaces of wool go to the next level and you want it to be a triangle shape, like two on the bottom and one on the top. If you leave spaces don't worry about that you should leave the spaces. The less spaces you leave the poofier the wig will be. The guy in the video made his own hair net and did most of the wig and it took him four hours. I would have just posted you the link but I'm new to this and not sure how to, but go to YouTube and look it up, it might be under evil clown wig making 101, but like I said I'm not exactly sure what it was under. I hope that helps you out.

·
My Wonderland is in Ruins
660 Posts
My mom had made a Wednesday Addams costume for my sister years ago, with the yarn wig. She made a cap that fit snugly over my sister's head, and had followed her hair line a bit. (kind of like the hair dying caps). But she then just tacked on and glued the yarn onto the cap.
:)

You could also make hair falls. They're elaborate ponytails you can create, and attatch to hair ties.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsV67ypD5o8&feature=related

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
When I was a kid I used a hairnet and tied yarn all over. I did a black one for a vampire outfit one year and a red one for a Raggedy Ann costume. I won both costume contests I entered because no one had ever seen anything like that before!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts