Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Friends,

So a kindly soul gave me a motor, and I'm looking forward to turning it into some sort of fiendish prop, but I don't know what I'm doing.

I have no idea what this thing was original for. The motor is big, round, and quite heavy. This bad boy runs off of 120 volts. The label states 60HZ and 4.7 AMP. It's got three wires, a blue and red, and one brown (grounding?).

Anybody help a true novice out? How do I hook up and power this beast?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This may be a fan motor? It that's the case, could I simply wire it to an orange extension cord?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you upload a pic that would help?

_mike
Sure thanks for asking, Mike.

Here's a link:

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af75/DBokovoy/Motor.jpg

I'm starting to think it's a ceiling fan motor, in which case, I would like to hang some light weight ghosts from it to "chase" each other about. Could I wire this directly to a modified extension cord, and if so, which wires would I link? Not sure if you can make it out in the photo, but again, I'm dealing with three wires: blue, red, and brown.

best

·
Registered
265 Posts
Blue and Red are hot depending on the speed u want as this is probably a dual-speed motor, brown is neutral or connected to capacitor...don't hold me to this, but it seems to be some sort of blower / fan motor in an HVAC system??? Be careful connecting directly to extension cord or outlet...use gloves, and connect to grounded circuit protected power source...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks. I figured I had better be careful through the whole process since I don't know what I'm doing. Appreciate the help in researching the issue before trying it out.

best

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
I am guessing you will need some sort of speed control with that puppy,You dont wanna spit the ghosts of your line.:)

·
Registered
407 Posts
i have "air movers" where i work, not "fans" and they run 120 - 4.5 amps. So that monster needs some speed control because it looks like a large airmover motor like u would find for farm use, unless u want a hurricane effect or ghosts flying 100 yrds into the neighbors yard :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't think that's a ceiling fan motor. They operate unlike a regular motor in that the armature is static and the windings (housing) rotates.That's the part the fan blades are attached to. Can't really tell what that motor is from the picture, sorry...

·
Registered
16 Posts
It is most likely a HVAC/furnace blower motor the red and blue are likely for low and high speed as it can use a different speed for AC than heat as well as being able to use one motor for two different applications. Anyway it is going to spin pretty fast. You probably want to take he approach of I have a prop and need a certain motor to make it work, as opposed to I have this motor... but that's just my opinion which isn't worth all that much, take care, and good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts