Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
I am just getting started for the 09 build season. I know, I am way behind even by my own standings. Here's what i got but am having trouble figuring out how to bring it together.
I will be building the front facade of a spooky house for a display. On the front porch i want to have a 3 axis skelly sitting in a rocking chair. The chair will rock via a wiper motor. I know how to do the 3 axis with the computer and all but it is tying in the other effects that i am having trouble. After the skelly tells his story i want the floor boards to go up and down like piano keys. This can also be done with a wiper motor on the high side. Then i want a scissor prop to come out through the window. This will be air powered.
For the floor & scissor props i want to use 2 haunt master timers i already have. So these can be linked to go off floor first then scissor. So it breaks down like this. 3 axis first then floor then scissor.
How do i tie the 3 axis with the computer to the haunt masters so it all goes off in time?
If this is a long shot to go this route i could change it to 3 timers linked together. First timer to talking skull via a st-100 board. 2nd timer kicks in after skull tells the story to rattle the floor board. Then 3rd timer to scissor prop. Problem here is i do not have a third haunt master timer and the web site has been out of stock for the longest time and no response to email. So if anyone here has one the would be willing to sell it. i would be first in line. Any help of either of these 2 ways to make this happen would be great.

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
This is exactly what Exorcist and DMXorcist were designed to do, the whole lot could easily be driven and synced off of a single PC just as you describe

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, Boneman,
Sounds good. This might help:

Timer-Based Boards

Look at the last board on this page - it appears that it can handle three devices/props in sequence when triggered, and the price is OK.
I looked at that board. But unless i am reading it wrong it seems that the bang event runs for the duration along with set 1 and set 2. looking at the pdf.

"This is exactly what Exorcist and DMXorcist were designed to do, the whole lot could easily be driven and synced off of a single PC just as you describe"

I have read some into exorcist but at this point it is all greek to me. I would need someone to hold my hand and walk me through the setup process. LOL

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
"This is exactly what Exorcist and DMXorcist were designed to do, the whole lot could easily be driven and synced off of a single PC just as you describe"

I have read some into exorcist but at this point it is all greek to me. I would need someone to hold my hand and walk me through the setup process. LOL
Yup and that's exactly what I do, for most home haunters I'm happy to take the time to advise on configuration and instruct on programming, most people who need a hand getting started usually find they can do it themselves the following year.

Exorcist was designed as a platform that enables the user to do just about anything they want, sometimes someone comes up with something new and that usually leads to a improvement in the software.

At the very least for the most er... 'challenged' of users, if al else fails I can just write the software profile for you based upon your description of what you want , but that's really a last resort, Exorcist is really about making it easy for novice programmers to build and program their own system without too much interference from me.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I checked out the info sheet for that board, and its looks like the "bang" event happens at the same time as Show 1 starts, but the time length can be controlled the same way as Show 1 and Show 2, by using a different resistor or removing the resistors and using pots. So it's not really a 1-2-3 type of timer, more like "1+2" (independently adjustable), then "3" (also adjustable, but can't start before "2" ends). The full-length timeline in the graphic indicates the lockout timer that is used to prevent re-triggers before the show ends.

BTW, the "bang" event can be used to trigger the talking skellie routine, at which point the routine controls the length of that portion of the show.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
otaku
ok so i get that. I think. but it says i would have to get the resistors myself. There is no where local here. Do you know of a site to buy them from? amd since everything i have is 110v could this board handle it?

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I'd pass on the resistors myself, and replace them with potentiometers. This lets you change the timing lengths on the fly without having to replace parts on the board. If you have a Radio Shack nearby, they sell a variety of these:

100K-Ohm Linear-Taper Potentiometer - RadioShack.com

This pot would give you 0 to ~27 secs of run time (relay active). If you need more time, use a 1 megohm pot (good for 0 to ~4.5 mins). Solder lead wires in the resistor holes, attach the pots to leads, drop the board in project box and mount the pots in the lid. You'll need 4 pots, one for the lockout timer, "bang" event timer, Show 1 and Show 2. Regarding the 110 volts, the relays can handle up to 10A, AC or DC.

·
Macho Nacho
859 Posts
These circuit boards are based on the 555 and 556 Timer chips. Times are controlled with “timing resistors” which are easily replaceable by the user. Time intervals can range from less than a second to about 50 minutes. See Info Sheets for a table of resistor values and associated time delays. Boards will come with short-interval timing resistors installed for demonstration purposes. User will supply timer resistors appropriate for their application - available at any electronics supply store (i.e., Radio Shack). All boards are powered by 12VDC. Other voltages are available on request.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts