Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious because I have to build one. Did you route out the lettering with a router then add plexiglass behind the lettering then add white christmas lights to illuminate it from behind? Some of them have been very cool but not sure how you got the lettering so perfect.

I am not sure if it's the right time to tackle a complete wood project so I may just get some blacklight paint and add a light to illuminate it. It's getting way to close the the big day, and have other important projects to attend to.

·
Blvd FrightNight
671 Posts
i craved my sign out of foam i plan on getting some tea lights and make a little self on the bottom then sit the lights on them. what i really wanted to do is get a mini spot light to light it up. for the lettering i just drew the letters and took my dermal and craved my sign out it looks a little shakey but it gave it a cool look. hope this helps.

-BYH

·
Registered
2 Posts
I printed out the letter, then copied them on to the wood (1/4" baltic birch) using carbon paper. Cut it out with the dremel router attachement, then used a sander wheel on the drememl to fix anything that didn't look perfect.

I put a black felt backing, then the wood as the front to a box I had made with a light inside (cheap flickering flashlight from the dollar store).

All told, the project was about 1 hour of routing out the letters, and 30 minutes building the box. All left over lumber, so the cost was about $10 at the most.

·
Registered
385 Posts
We made an light sign once by making a stencil out of black card stock and put it between two pieces of colored (front) and clear (rear) plexiglass and just mount on a box with a light inside.... might not be as cool as the columns above. I guess it would be depending on what you need the sign for. Worked for our "ON AIR" radio sign in college.

Lot easier to cut card stock paper with a knife than wood with a jigsaw....

·
Grand Poobah
2,899 Posts
I cut letters out of blue foam with an exacto, then glued them to another piece of foam.
I then painted them to look more sign-ish.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I took a piece of the 2 inch thick foam and cut it to the shape of sign that I wanted. I was able to get white foam at the time.

I then printed out the letters on my computer - 1 per 8 1/2 x 11 page - and cut them out. I then double-sided taped the letters to the foam.

Then I hit the foam with regular gray spray paint. The paint ate away the foam around the paper letters, leaving the letters raised above the now gray foam.

The sign is really lightweight. I have been using it for 12 years. Some of the gray paint has flaked away, but it kinda looks liked old, chip concrete. I like the look personally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts