Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a relatively cheap fog machine (the $20 one from Wal Mart) and I use it extensively to produce the fog effects everyone loves in my basement.

However, I have many situations where I want to go from completely foggy to no fog in a short amount of time. What is the best way to do this?

As I said, it's in my basement, and since I'm up north, opening the windows and having a fan in the window isn't an option. Could I run a fan with its output into a duct with ice in it to at least lower the fog? Or is there even a solution?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Cooling the fog will only put it on the floor. You need to rplace cfm of air. A bigger fan will do it. If you have a doorway to bring large amounts of fresh air in and have the windows open to exhaust the air. One of those big 36 inch fans would do it.

Bottom line you have to replace the air. So you will need fresh air in and fog air out. Thats the simple explanation but movement of air is more complex.

·
Banned
524 Posts
If you have a doorway to bring large amounts of fresh air in and have the windows open to exhaust the air.
He stated above opening a window isn't an option....

Not really much you can do if you can't open a window or don't have a way to exhaust the fog out.

Why exactly do you need to dissipate the fog for and how fast do you need it to dissipate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies!

Yes, as you mentioned, exhausting or bringing in air isn't really an option as it's my basement.

The reason is that I have pre-game parties in the room, and we pump out a reasonable dose of fog to give the laser and strobes their full effect. We may then leave for other places and end up back at my basement for the "after party."

For the after-party, I have a projector and a screen to play video games on, and the projector doesn't do very well with the fog :)

So, total time to dissipate would be an hour or so at the minimum. That's why I was thinking of the ice - bringing the fog to the ground, while not eliminating it, may be a reasonable enough solution. It would keep the fog out of the way of the projector.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I understand that Froggy's Freezin' Fog fluid will dissipate quickly. The fluid is designed with fog chillers in mind, and the fog is supposed to dissipate before it has a chance to warm and rise, enhancing the low-lying fog effect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip! I did see information about that on the internet. My main concern is that I do want the full fog effect for the hours prior to dissipation, I'd just like to dissipate it quickly when I'm ready.

I believe the quick dissolve solution lingers for only 6 minutes. That would get pretty expensive if I wanted to keep it foggy for a few hours!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tips guys! I'm going to try to circulate the air around the room with fans first, and if that doesn't work sufficiently well, I'll go the purifier route. I appreciate your help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts