Halloween Forum banner

How big are you going this Halloween 2019?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I came to the disappointing realization that 2019 will be a sabbatical year. A DIY kitchen renovation is taking all my usual prep and setup time, and I'm travelling on 11/3 which doesn't give me time to store stuff properly. I'll put up a few things I can easily reach, but I'll be back bigger and better in 2020.
Wow - I survived a kitchen reno this winter/spring (Feb - June). I feel you - just try to stay sane thru it. I was going to reply with neat ideas to do in the windows but as I recall, all the non-kitchen rooms were taken over by stuff that would normally be IN a kitchen (temporary kitchen has to go somewhere, the stuff that was displaced to make the temp kitchen has to go somewhere else, and so on).

Maybe this year you could focus on learning how to make every Halloween cocktail (practice makes perfect).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I’m bummed, just found out that one of my neighbors had a fire at his store (pet shop). 😕 No animals were lost but there was some water damage. He’s one of the go to anchor neighbors. What’s cool is that during Halloween he brings his ball python for the ToT’s to pet and to top it off his wife makes a mean bowl of chili! Kids and adults get a kick when he brings home some of the animals to pet. Haven’t spoken to him but I plan to this weekend. Personally, I think my neighbor might dial it down this year due to the situation. On a better note, I just found an old Christmas tree turner I built that uses a wiper motor. Hopefully I’ll incorporate it in this years haunt!💀

·
Registered
888 Posts
I’m bummed, just found out that one of my neighbors had a fire at his store (pet shop). 😕 No animals were lost but there was some water damage. He’s one of the go to anchor neighbors. What’s cool is that during Halloween he brings his ball python for the ToT’s to pet and to top it off his wife makes a mean bowl of chili! Kids and adults get a kick when he brings home some of the animals to pet. Haven’t spoken to him but I plan to this weekend. Personally, I think my neighbor might dial it down this year due to the situation. On a better note, I just found an old Christmas tree turner I built that uses a wiper motor. Hopefully I’ll incorporate it in this years haunt!💀
Sorry to hear about the fire.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I changed themes this year and blew the budget out of the water :ROFLMAO: I keep getting more ideas and building more things. Its outta control at this point. I'm doing my take in killer clowns from outer space. I'm excited to see it all come together! Gonna be my biggest display yet!
Now this I gotta see! 🤡

·
Registered
13,503 Posts
Well if weather holds up this year, I'm planning on trying to do a yard walk around the perimeter of our house. Hubby's not too happy about it and I'm not quite sure how I'll manage it but it's a dino theme so could have a "guide" take groups through. I think he's primarily concerned about unsupervised people walking around the yard. I figure my props in the back yard are safer than out in the front so we'll see. Unless it's suppose to rain and then I'm not sure what I'll do. But if I do the whole yard thing it will be first time so I guess I'm going big. Fingers crossed. Sure it will be a learning experience.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well if weather holds up this year, I'm planning on trying to do a yard walk around the perimeter of our house. Hubby's not too happy about it and I'm not quite sure how I'll manage it but it's a dino theme so could have a "guide" take groups through. I think he's primarily concerned about unsupervised people walking around the yard. I figure my props in the back yard are safer than out in the front so we'll see. Unless it's suppose to rain and then I'm not sure what I'll do. But if I do the whole yard thing it will be first time so I guess I'm going big. Fingers crossed. Sure it will be a learning experience.
It rained all day on Halloween here last year. I have a very large display in my front yard. I couldn't light it up or have music. It was a total let down. We sat inside of our garage and got about 15 tots. We had over a hundred the prior year. I threw about 15 pounds of candy in the trash. Let's hope it doesn't rain this year!!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Going big as can be. Last Halloween we had 2000 Tot's in 2 hours. Everyone on our street
sets up a yard haunt. It is a blast. We go through $300 of candy easy.

Are you sure you're not my neighbor? LoL! Two years ago we spent a little over $500 on candy on our street (Costco and Amazon). After that, my wife and I agreed that this year we are going to limit ourselves to $300, no more no less. It gets expensive real quick! I'd rather have the money go to prop making supplies and upkeep. A couple of our neighbors suggested that we take candy donations before Halloween which sounds like a good idea. Also I've been approached from people willing to donate to via Paypal to help out. I've attached a photo of what our street (one of three) looks like a little after 5pm. Probably a repost on my part. :unsure: Cheers! 👻

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Always bigger then the previous year. Adding at least 2 or 3 pneumatic props which puts me at 30.

Dang, 30? I wish I had that real estate! I don't think my 10 gallon air compressor could handle 2 props. It would be constantly pumping air all night! Post pics when you get a chance!

·
Registered
13,503 Posts
Are you sure you're not my neighbor? LoL! Two years ago we spent a little over $500 on candy on our street (Costco and Amazon). After that, my wife and I agreed that this year we are going to limit ourselves to $300, no more no less. It gets expensive real quick! I'd rather have the money go to prop making supplies and upkeep. A couple of our neighbors suggested that we take candy donations before Halloween which sounds like a good idea. Also I've been approached from people willing to donate to via Paypal to help out. I've attached a photo of what our street (one of three) looks like a little after 5pm. Probably a repost on my part. :unsure: Cheers! 👻

View attachment 719267
This is similar to the crowds The Boo Crew on Church Street gets in San Jose. Went there last year on Halloween Night to experience. Actually glad our crowds aren’t like this. Yes can get expensive but Boo Crew doesn’t give out Candy and has barrels set up for food donations to Second Harvest food bank I think. Might want to discuss with neighbors about doing something like that. They do a fabulous set up and the kids are happy just experiencing it. As much as I liked getting candy as a kid, hard to ignore how too much can be a bad thing.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Dang, 30? I wish I had that real estate! I don't think my 10 gallon air compressor could handle 2 props. It would be constantly pumping air all night! Post pics when you get a chance!
I have one 7 gal pancake and one 30gal compressor they are linked with check valves on each. I have 8 five gallon reserve tanks. So I have 77gallons for air.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
This is similar to the crowds The Boo Crew on Church Street gets in San Jose. Went there last year on Halloween Night to experience. Actually glad our crowds aren’t like this. Yes can get expensive but Boo Crew doesn’t give out Candy and has barrels set up for food donations to Second Harvest food bank I think. Might want to discuss with neighbors about doing something like that. They do a fabulous set up and the kids are happy just experiencing it. As much as I liked getting candy as a kid, hard to ignore how too much can be a bad thing.

Interesting, one of my friends had mentioned something similar. I wonder if that’s what he’s talking about. He volunteers to build stuff when he gets a chance. I also might inquire about the Second Harvest Food Bank. I agree, at the end of the day it’s all about the experience.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts
About this Discussion
67 Replies
31 Participants
chubstuff
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing