Halloween Forum banner

How big are you going this Halloween 2019?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow haunters! Been really busy the past two years, a job change in the corporate sector (tech), a move to a different state then back to Cali, got married, and now expecting a little one mid October! Yay! My street in the Bay Area gets tons of ToT's every year, more so on the weekends. Last year when I moved back, I added another prop (grave digger) to my graveyard haunt. In total, I had four props, Dave the grave digger, Frank the flying crank, Sparky the rabid dog, Axle the Axworthy ghost. Now that the wife and I have a baby on the way, I'm thinking about dialing it down this year. It gets pretty busy maintaining the props, refilling the fog machine, and passing out candy. I might just put up Frank and Axle this year and maybe throw in a projection due to the fact that Halloween is on a weekday, I'm not going to have the help that I usually have from the previous years. With the large amount of foot traffic we get, my wife (Mrs. Cali Specter) will be with the baby the whole time so I'll by flying solo. My neighbors have already invited us to come over if we don't put up anything this year. I just might take them up on the offer just to keep my sanity. o_O Anywho, how big are you going this year? Cheers!馃懟

Registered
I am doing my first haunted garage this year, it will be more about black lights and sounds than big props. I will be a witch and have a cauldron with a fog machine and green light. There will be some skeletons and maybe the sitting scary clown plus a jumping spider and glow in the dark stuff. But I have about 13 friends who will be there handing out toys and candy and alcohol for the parents. I have to be careful about mentioning this to others because much to my surprise my friends all seem to want to join us and we only have a single car garage and a 10x10 tent. I sure wish we had a 3 car garage.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have fun. Congratulations on your new baby!!!

Registered
For Campground Halloween my big one, thinking less this year, took second place last year and can't win for at least a year or 2 even though not why I do it. Home Depot Wind dragon staying home but Winter Dragon will be going was thinking at first a spider den with the dragon and a few skeletons, I do have the Home depot spider along with teh spirt wolf spider and another big one from an independent so 3 large spiders, but somebody on here got me thinking about doing an undead army rising. Bought the Wizard, thinking about a couple of the Standing Knights from Home depot then have 6 or so skeletons already.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
For Campground Halloween my big one, thinking less this year, took second place last year and can't win for at least a year or 2 even though not why I do it. Home Depot Wind dragon staying home but Winter Dragon will be going was thinking at first a spider den with the dragon and a few skeletons, I do have the Home depot spider along with teh spirt wolf spider and another big one from an independent so 3 large spiders, but somebody on here got me thinking about doing an undead army rising. Bought the Wizard, thinking about a couple of the Standing Knights from Home depot then have 6 or so skeletons already.

I definitely have to swing by Home Depot soon and see what's out this year. I haven't been out much on the weekends, so it sounds like the stores have been slowly rolling out their Halloween decorations. That's awesome that you guys took second place! It's so competitive (good fun of course) in the hood here that the good ones cover their props and decorations with tarps up to three days before the big day:unsure:. I see a Halloween haul coming in the near future! Thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I am doing my first haunted garage this year, it will be more about black lights and sounds than big props. I will be a witch and have a cauldron with a fog machine and green light. There will be some skeletons and maybe the sitting scary clown plus a jumping spider and glow in the dark stuff. But I have about 13 friends who will be there handing out toys and candy and alcohol for the parents. I have to be careful about mentioning this to others because much to my surprise my friends all seem to want to join us and we only have a single car garage and a 10x10 tent. I sure wish we had a 3 car garage.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have fun. Congratulations on your new baby!!!
Thanks for the well wishes! I've always wanted to do a haunted garage! Unfortunately we have a tiny garage in the back attached to a thimble size cottage located in an alley. Definitely post some pics of your first garage haunt on the forum when you get a chance! Cheers, Cali :cool:

Registered
I definitely have to swing by Home Depot soon and see what's out this year. I haven't been out much on the weekends, so it sounds like the stores have been slowly rolling out their Halloween decorations. That's awesome that you guys took second place! It's so competitive (good fun of course) in the hood here that the good ones cover their props and decorations with tarps up to three days before the big day:unsure:. I see a Halloween haul coming in the near future! Thanks!
I end up competing with wifes best friend, lol mostly. Seems we alternate ever 3 years with each other on prizes. I've taken a couple first and seconds before. I get the covering up I put most of my stuff in a 10x20 shelter and dont open it up until just before trick or treating starts, comments before are interesting. I have quite a few adults that have to come see what I've done this year. There is alot of regulars out there and competition gets pretty tough which makes it better have to put more thought into it. I actually pretty much set the whole thing up wife thinks me and her friend are crazy. She does help with the shelter part.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Registered
I'm going bigger yet smaller - I know that doesn't make sense. My new work is in events and I have a wedding on 11/1 (oof), so I'm spending more time on prop placement and focusing on lighting for impact vs. buying a bunch of new stuff. My entire front yard will be full, but I'm trying to do it smarter so I'm not a wreck the day after Halloween. I do plan on getting some red helium balloons and putting them throughout the neighborhood in storm drains, just for fun.

Registered
I've become a "go big or go home" , but I see the future and I keep working towards, what is seen by the TOTers and Parents, vs what only I know is there. My fence goes up labor day weekend, along with the witch on the side of the house and the pumpkin beacon. At that point I already have up on 9/2 as much (or more) then most will have on 10/31! So in the non-halloweeners world OUR less is MORE then their ALOT!
It's the everything gone on 11/1 before school lets out that keeps getting tougher every year!

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going bigger yet smaller - I know that doesn't make sense. My new work is in events and I have a wedding on 11/1 (oof), so I'm spending more time on prop placement and focusing on lighting for impact vs. buying a bunch of new stuff. My entire front yard will be full, but I'm trying to do it smarter so I'm not a wreck the day after Halloween. I do plan on getting some red helium balloons and putting them throughout the neighborhood in storm drains, just for fun.

Those red helium balloons are a great idea! I think a lot of haunters overlook prop placement and lighting. I definitely learned that last minute in 2018. Keep us posted and good luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I've become a "go big or go home" , but I see the future and I keep working towards, what is seen by the TOTers and Parents, vs what only I know is there. My fence goes up labor day weekend, along with the witch on the side of the house and the pumpkin beacon. At that point I already have up on 9/2 as much (or more) then most will have on 10/31! So in the non-halloweeners world OUR less is MORE then their ALOT!
It's the everything gone on 11/1 before school lets out that keeps getting tougher every year!

Great insight! Now do you actively solicit feedback? We鈥檝e received a lot of compliments but not so much more placement on the big day. I might ask for more feedback from over the month of October and see where that takes me. I figured there isn鈥檛 anything wrong with a little constructive criticism. Keep us posted, thanks!

Registered
I'm heartbroken because my husband still probably won't be walking and who knows if he will be home yet by Halloween. He managed to give himself a compound fracture through the skin on July 3 and will have surgery #10 next week. He can't even get into our house yet because of the stairs so he's at his parents'. I keep having nightmares about how lame my Halloween will be. On the brightside, he's been ordering me Halloween gifts and having them sent to the house. :)

Registered
I'm heartbroken because my husband still probably won't be walking and who knows if he will be home yet by Halloween. He managed to give himself a compound fracture through the skin on July 3 and will have surgery #10 next week. He can't even get into our house yet because of the stairs so he's at his parents'. I keep having nightmares about how lame my Halloween will be. On the brightside, he's been ordering me Halloween gifts and having them sent to the house. :)
You might have a keeper there!

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like he feels your pain about Halloween (no pun intended)! I鈥檓 sure he鈥檒l heal fast and will back in Halloween mode with a vengeance! 馃懟

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Going as big as a I can! Putting out 14 new animated props with two builds. Whole dang yard is going to be talking!
Wow 14? 馃槻 We can only put up about 5 in our tiny yard! Definitely post some pics and videos when you get a chance!

Registered
I came to the disappointing realization that 2019 will be a sabbatical year. A DIY kitchen renovation is taking all my usual prep and setup time, and I'm travelling on 11/3 which doesn't give me time to store stuff properly. I'll put up a few things I can easily reach, but I'll be back bigger and better in 2020.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
About this Discussion
67 Replies
31 Participants
chubstuff
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing