Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've just salvaged this computer power supply from my old pc and would like to use it to power a prop.
View attachment 12960

The problem is, when i plug in the power supply nothing happens. I figure this is because the switch which would normally be located on the front of the desktop computer hasn't been pressed. So i wonder what can i do to make the power supply work with out the switch ????

Some things that might help : i noticed 4 irregular wires coming from the power supply which are green, purple, grey and blue.
View attachment 12961

This is the back of the power supply
View attachment 12962

Side question: should i get anything else from the computer other than fans and LED'S ?

Thanks

Phil :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Great link! I actually just acquired a few PSU's and want to use them for voltage converters to utilize some cold cathode lighting in my haunt.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Just do this to make it run.

There are twenty colored wires terminating into a molex that connects to your motherboard, we are interested in the green wire and any BLACK wire. The GREEN wire is usually pin 14 (look at your manuel if you are not sure). We can use any BLACK wire to complete the connection To make it simple just use the black wire next to the green.

It can run 12v, 5v, 3v devices. Works great.

·
Registered
388 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey everyone, thanks for all the help, i've hooked the black and green wires up, connected 5v to my fcg and its working great.

Thanks once again

Phil :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts