Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my wife and i have begun the search for a new home and i have a question for all of you haunters out there.........Is it normal to keep in the back of your mind, how "hauntable" the new home will be when you are searching for a new address? Do you (or have you) taken into account how the home will look when it is dressed for Halloween and has this affected your decision to buy said home? Or am i just a freak.....lol

·
Registered
409 Posts
Normalcy is relative. You're asking a bunch of people addicted to haunting if that sounds reasonable, so the answer is going to be "heck yes"! Ask the same question at a local PTA meeting and the county's mental health agency will probably soon be knocking on your door.

We have one huge house we like to look at with a Gothic exterior that we plan to buy as soon as we win the lottery. We even know how we'd decorate it ("the graveyard can go there, add some gargoyles there and there, and that balcony would be perfect for Dracula.."). Meanwhile, in our current pre-lottery house, we consider Halloween when we remodel a room. Halloween is fun, our neighbors also enjoy the decorations, so we have no guilt in thinking about it all year long.

And I agree completely with naborhoodhaunts, lots of storage is vital. Also, give extra bonus points to a house with a two story room where you could set up a full sized guillotine - trust me on that one!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whew! thanks....i thought i was going crazy. So then, that place i have my eye on where the homicide took place is a good choice? Can't beat the asking price!!!!....Just kiddin'

·
Registered
622 Posts
If only this were mine... Oh the plans I would hatch!

LOL! Scruffywolf, that's about all I think of any time my wife says "that's a nice house" or "I like the look of that one".

Now I'm not in the market for a new house currently, however, I do have one picked out. Well if I had a million dollars that is! You be the judge!

REALTOR.ca - Property Details F2904035

View attachment 4193

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm glad you brought this up. I'm not moving anytime soon, but I have to admit haunting has skewed my view of the world. I can't walk or drive around a residential neighborhood without assessing the potential haunting value of a home (realtors could call this PHV)!

·
Registered
327 Posts
This is the exact way we bought our last TWO houses! We bought a 1928 brick tudor in a historic neighborhood in Pontiac, Michigan for...the creepy, classic look! Real wrought iron gas post lamp, brick walkway, leaded glass windows...

The w e had to move to Kansas...so we picked a house with a garage that could fit our hearse, and a corner lot with lots of exposure to people and a lot of space for yard decorating! Our realtor thought we were hilarious when we'd walk up to a house and she'd hear comments like, "it looks nice...but the yard is too sloped for the mausoleum!" and "I like the landscaping, but it doesn't leave a lot of room for the cemetery at all..."

Perfectly normal, around here!

-EEric

·
Registered
73 Posts
The neighborhood was more important to me. I drove my wife nuts because I would only move to a place that supported Halloween. Turns out the House is not so great to Haunt...but I made it work. The upside is that the neighbors embrace halloween and we get over 400 trick or treaters every year. I would look at that over the house. There is nothing worse than setting up a Haunt that no one goes to.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The neighborhood was more important to me. I drove my wife nuts because I would only move to a place that supported Halloween. Turns out the House is not so great to Haunt...but I made it work. The upside is that the neighbors embrace halloween and we get over 400 trick or treaters every year. I would look at that over the house. There is nothing worse than setting up a Haunt that no one goes to.
That reminds me...we also always asked for any Home Owners Association documents up front so we could check for any restrictions on holiday decorating. And our realtor would also do detective work to see if other people in the area decorated.

Gotta watch out for those HOA's!:eek:

-EEric

·
Registered
432 Posts
Absolutely! If this is going to be the biggest purchase in my life, why not have it reflect who I am and what I love?

Some of my favorites:

I want the shutters to bang in the wind, and the weather vane atop the tower to twirl toward the approaching storm. I want a wrought iron fence and a creaking gate. I want weeping willows that sway in the breeze. I want vines that creep up and twist around the porch columns. I want a fireplace in the fire on a cold autumn night.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
It was one of the top three things I looked for in a house. I remember telling my wife that the first thing I needed to do to our house (when we bought it) was to put on a front porch by halloween!

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
...The w e had to move to Kansas...so we picked a house with a garage that could fit our hearse, and a corner lot with lots of exposure to people and a lot of space for yard decorating! Our realtor thought we were hilarious when we'd walk up to a house and she'd hear comments like, "it looks nice...but the yard is too sloped for the mausoleum!" and "I like the landscaping, but it doesn't leave a lot of room for the cemetery at all..."

-EEric
Ha ha, too funny! :p

·
Registered
622 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hmmmm... now that I look at it... definitely not gothic enough! Muahahaha!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Our realtor thought we were hilarious when we'd walk up to a house and she'd hear comments like, "it looks nice...but the yard is too sloped for the mausoleum!" and "I like the landscaping, but it doesn't leave a lot of room for the cemetery at all..."

-EEric
Oh but, if you could only find a house with a real cemetery next door or across the street......that would be real heaven. ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Amen.

After years in the house where I could leave a full bowl of candy on the doorstep and not a piece would be taken, when we moved, it drove the agent mad that I kept insisting on asking the neighbors how many ToT's they get. Only satisfied when I got to "around 100" or better.

Our house isn't the best 'hauntable' property on our street, even. But, we get well over 400 now as well, and there's 3 other houses that REALLY decorate now, one of which also does a walkthrough. Making our street a dropoff point. (I'm fearfull of the Halloween on a weekend this year. We didn't get the full impact of it last year due to it raining)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts