Halloween Forum banner

House Facade (Wood Build)

20751 Views 89 Replies 51 Participants Last post by  Terra
Hello everyone,

I set up a graveyard scene last year but with my house in the background it really took away from the whole effect.

I tried to hide the house with lighting, trying to keep the house dark and all the stuff in the foreground lit, but still didnt get what I wanted.

So this year I really wanted to focus the attn away from the house and I started work on a facade of an old wooden house to place in front of my house to hide it.

Figured Id share some photos. My wood siding was delivered yesterday so I plan on working on it this weekend but heres the wood frame I got done last weekend.

Everything is 4x8 panels that bolt together so I can take the whole thing down easily and store in a 4foot x 8foot stack.

The large window on the left is where my screen for my projector will go. Ill have Mark Gervais's "Hallowindow 2009" playing.

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thank you all for your interest!

I fell like I cheated because I have a buddy who runs a lumber yard. I bought the stuff that was returned by his customers for dirt cheap. Just about all of it is odd size, twisted, broken corners and AZ sun weathered stuff but it works for what im doing.

I got to get this pre assemble done sooooon! I need to mow the lawn!

· Registered
3,108 Posts
You also don't want to leave it up too long because a building inspector might spot it. It isn't anchored down but they might then consider it a fire hazard and sic the fire department on you.

Looks amazing, by the way. When you decided to fix last year's little appearance problem you really went all out.

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Got the rest of the front panels finished up. Now to work on the little fake roof sections for the front and the roof of the peak section (not really a roof but a board attached to the top of the panel to look like a roof).

I dont need the full structure up to work on the roof so I took it all down to get the yard back under control. Heres what everything packs down to (except for the roof parts).

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks everyone for the comments!!

Yes a tarp is going to cover it, dont need the rain warping my hours of work in 100+ degrees!

I was pretty happy with the design althought quite simple. The storage was a huge concern and the 4x8 stack isnt to bad considering it assmb to 32 feet wide X 13 high X 11 feet deep.

Per request here is a drawing with the measurements.

Ill post some more photo's when I get the roof part done and find a cool old looking front door.

Anyone know of a good place to look for an old door or door handle?

· Registered
209 Posts
Great build indeva! I can't wait to see the completed facade with the roof. I'm curious are you going to greet ToT's from inside the structure? Also, when you were designing the structure what made you go with 2x2's as opposed to 2x3's or 2x4's? Was it strictly the weight or something else?

Thanks in advance for letting me pick your brain a bit.

21 - 40 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.