Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are looking for something to watch during the lull in new shows, I'd recommend a new show that started In May on Fox. Both my husband and I have enjoyed binge watching a few episodes at a time to get caught up. Since I started watching late, I've been catching up, for free, through the FoxNow app. The first episode is old enough now that you'll need to sign in with a service provider but the rest are available just with the app. Think they make something like the last 5 episodes publically viewable at a time. New episodes are posted the day after airing. It airs on Fox on Mondays. The show is also available through the iTunes store, etc so a number of ways to see it.

Houdini and Doyle is set in the early 1900s in London in the steam-engine era. The two characters and a female constable from Scotland Yard investigate strange murders and 'monsters' of the time. Not horror, but there are psychics, 'ghosts', 'aliens', flying gargoyles, etc. that form the basis of their investigations. I think they have a great cast and I just love the old Victorian sets and costuming of the show. This show has been quite the surprise for me and I initially watched the first episode out of lack of anything else on TV right now. Now 6 episodes in, I'm really hooked. Such a great change of pace from the reality/sitcom shows out there now.

Didn't know this but Harry Houdini and Arthur Conan Doyle did know each other in real life so I found this an interesting basis for the series storyline. The early 1900s were a time when spiritualism was very big and Doyle was a believer. Houdini, who made people believe in magic, was a non-believer.

If you do tune-in I'd suggest watching from the beginning to enjoy the progression of the character development. I'm loving Wayward Pines (also airing on Fox right now) but have to say Houdini and Doyle is right up there for my must-see shows.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For more of a peek into the show here are 2 trailers Fox put up. I think you'll get a good feeling from them of the friendship amongst the three, the humor and the type of stories you'll see.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I stumbled on H & D, too, as you said, "out of lack of anything else on TV right now". I'm really enjoying it, also. Of course it's not 100% credible (sub-sonic vibrations don't make people hallucinate the same way at the same time, and some of the medical knowledge is far ahead of its time) but it's not about that; it's entertainment. The characters are interesting, the sets and costumes are great, and the plots are a fun watch.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
I also have been watching this show and enjoying it. Kind of like The X-Files set in Victorian times, I would say.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got caught up with this week's Houdini & Doyle tonight. Rather liked the Vampire/Vampire Hunter episode with Bram Stoker (Dracula). Wonder if Doyle actually was writing friends with him in real life since they were contemporaries.

Just looked him up and yes, they did know each other and supposedly were distantly related.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,773 Posts
Doyle was big into the whole "spiritualist" movement of the day Houdini was big on debunking all those con artists that were taking the little old ladies money & letting them "speak" to their dear ole dead husband. Doyle believed in the fairy pics 2 young girls took which they later admitted to faking.

Doyle so wanted to believe & Houdini, being the expert illusionist that he was, knew these people were just fakes. Yet I think Houdini really wanted to believe it too because he so desperately wanted to "speak" to his own mother. That's what got him into debunking it all, he went to several trying to reach her after her death & that's how he realized they were just doing basic magic tricks.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RCIAG, given how devoted and close he apparently was to his mom, I can see why he would hope there was someone who could reach her.

Only 2 episodes left. No word on a pick up for Season 2. Hubby and I really do enjoy watching it so hope it does see more storylines down the road. Ratings haven't been great but I think relegating some of these shows to spring/summer airing factors a lot into that. Most people are out enjoying the weather now and not thinking about tuning in to a new show. I could have easily missed catching the beginning and then not watched. I always watched shows on TV but have now kind of switched over to my iPadPro while in bed. It's about the smallest screen I would bother with though (12.9).

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've been enjoying this show - I just ignore the anachronisms and enjoy the show for what it is....I do hope it gets picked up for a second season, though! I hope they don't let the Adelaide plot thread just hang there, though, if the series isn't picked up for another season.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
After Sir Arthur's Son was killed in WW1 he began to write about the possibility of communicating "across the Void", and because SO Many died in that war, entire countries of mourners were ready to give anything a try.
I read many years ago that Houdini had sir "A" over for Supper, then told him to leave, walk as far away as he wanted to, write a little something on a scrap of paper, rip it up into tiny pieces, throw it away, then return.
After he was back Houdini worked for some time to attach a wet sponge soaked in white ink to a small blackboard hanging from two strings from the ceiling.
When the white-inked sponge finally stuck to the blackboard, it slid downward, then went up, then down, eventually spelling out the mystery word chosen, written, ripped up many blocks away!
"This Proves there can be communication!" Sir "A" said.
"No, it was just a...trick." Houdini told him.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
...I hope they don't let the Adelaide plot thread just hang there, though, if the series isn't picked up for another season.
There is still one more episode this season, so maybe something more will come of the latest reveal then. The show already ended months ago in Britain, where it is from, so there should be news about its fate before long, I would think.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well tonight, 4th of July--when so many people will be home watching, is the final Season 1 episode. Been checking and no word from FOX on a renewal. Well I guess Adelaide got some resolution to her questions and if this is the end of our famous duo tonight, who both my husband and I have enjoyed watching so much, I hope they part in a good way. I still think spring/summer scheduling was a nail in the coffin to start off with and hoping against hope I guess there could be another season. Just a wonderful cast and I have found the writing, humor and storytelling to be such a welcome reprieve from dumb sitcoms and reality tv or other reruns.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Atlanta Journal's TV listings for tonight have Houdini & Doyle on CBS (9pm ET) as "series finale". First off it's not on even on CBS so sure to lose some people there, but on FOX.

Guessing FOX has chickened out even discussing it's status and this is how we find out. Recall that a few other shows I've watched have had their demise announced in the TV listings for that day. This show deserved better than that. I loved the writing and acting on "House" and can see this intelligent show as having come from them.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I recorded it on the dvr as we were out tonight. But will probably watch it on the FoxNow app Tuesday night when hubby is home from work. They just posted the episode (always day after it airs even with provider) and did notice that FoxNow lists it as "Season Finale" not Series Finale, so maybe there's still hope.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Couldn't wait for tonight so just finished watching. LOL, how I enjoy this show. Will rewatch with hubby later tonight. I thought the Lapier episode was a good one and have enjoyed the trio traveling. Gave us a chance to see more period settings and costuming. They did wrap up Adelaide's questions and I loved seeing the 3 of them still working on a case. Chuckled at the telegram delivered near the end. Immediately knew the significance of the bearer being a Shelock Holmes fan growing up. Harry. Dear Harry. Where does that leave you? My DH is much like Harry, probably why he really enjoys the show so much (he's not a big TV watcher) and why Harry holds a special place in my viewing heart as well.

BTW if you go to the Facebook site for H&D: https://www.facebook.com/HoudiniandDoyle/# , assume it's run by FOX, you'll see lots of viewers and fans of the show posting there. I'm not on FB but would encourage anyone who is and would like to see a Season 2 to add your comments. No where on this site do they say Series Finale, as on the FOXNOW app site, and no official word on renewal or cancellation. Saw lots of promos for it over the last few weeks and leading up to last night's episode while watching my local Fox station so they may still be waiting to see reaction from the fans before making their decision.

Guess I'm like those Doyle fans on the show who keep clamoring for more of Sherlock.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I "liked" the FB page. Maybe the numbers will count for something if a network is considering picking them up.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
However unfortunate, and I would like to be proven wrong, I have the feeling that the show will not be returning.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts