Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has no one seen this video? Strange. :)

Well, maybe I'll just have to buy it and give a review. I mean it does look good. I just wonder if its actually work the $50.00?

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
I haven't seen that video, but when I originally bought my HWFF tool kit, I also bought their DVD on making tombstones. I expected more advanced tips and techniques, but was sadly disappointed. It was very basic stuff which I had already learned.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondered about that. I mean we can get much more info right here on the forum. But I'm kinda hoping that since: "Halloween Productions, Inc. creators of The Darkness haunted house and hundreds of amusement attractions around the World will teach you some of the tricks to create, carve and complete stunning caves, rocks, and scenery using foam." This this one might be worth the price. Guess, I'll just have to buy it and give it a review. :)

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
This video is from the people of The Darkness haunted house. I saw some of the scenes from the cover of the DVD just last night in person at the Darkness behind the scenes tour.
They are selling that DVD and several others from the Darkness folks here at Transworld this week.
I haven't seen the video, so I don't know the level or quality of the instruction, but I know the finished product/results in the Darkness haunted house are great.
I've been struggling with whether or not to shell out that kind of money for that and some of their other videos while I'm here at Transworld.
It is a lot, and so far I haven't made the purchase.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Found a review of this DVD but unfortunately can't post links yet.

Google for "HOW TO FOAM CARVE YOUR HAUNTED HOUSE DVD" and the review was the first link.

I would be curious as to what others have to say about the DVD as well.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
I got it years ago and learned a lot of new techniques. What they do is video the rooms as they are renovating for their haunted house. This was one of their first videos and it's a bit awkward but still pretty good. Now years later you can see a lot of these types of tips on YouTube but it's still a good and valuable DVD. Is it worth $50? ehhh... perhaps less but that is the price they are asking for so that is up to you. If you are hesitating - perhaps hunt around YouTube to see if you get enough info for your needs instead but if you are still needing more than perhaps go ahead and pull the trigger.

Here's the notes I took when I watched it many moons ago (2010):

A Weed-eater shapes foam quickly. Hot knife is good for wood-graining. Hand saws and a light Sawzall instead of an electric knife. Low-rising foam gun to glue pieces of foam together (spray) also 'Helti' to fill in cracks.

Do drawings first. Make a transparency and project and use a Sharpie to trace out.

To hard coat spray Gunite over the foam (it's like concrete).

Screw large pieces of foam on before gluing. Draw out pattern on raw foam first then start carving with Stanley SureForm.

Pink foam bricks cut with a table saw first. Use bow hot knife to cut out edges to make it look like slate. Finish with a heat gun. Can also use a wire brush with foam work. A heat gun opens up cracks right up. Use the heat gun to also smooth out your whole project.

Slate wall: Pre-cut rectangle & square pieces in random sizes to make a slate wall and also double up to give them different thicknesses.

You can cut a lot of carved foam pieces in 1/2.

Don't forget layering.

Rough-cut cedar: Use a big rasp in one direction then use a hot knife to carve out a broken edge.

·
the horror up North ...Eh
2,988 Posts
having worked in that industry . There is simple carving techniques and advances ones what are you trying to "carve" to get many of the creations some of these people achieve is much more advanced then you think . the company i worked for had a cnc machine that did forms and then was bought to the sculptors to create the details in the piece . we also had lage scale wire cutters for basic forms as well . I would think this dvd is basic shaping and using the hot wire tools ..we never used them in that shop ..other that the cnc machine and the wire cutter it was done with saws, rasps, and hand tools no burning of the styro as that is carsonogenic . Other than the big wire cutting table that was vented

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Terra you're the best. Should have figured you'd have known you'd have seen this particular DVD. :) Thanks for all the information.

ihauntu, that is some incredible work. The detail you put into that dragon lamp. Fantastic! Thanks for sharing that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts