Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the last GoE Drink & Think I shared an idea for a creating a low cost variable power supply we can use to create hot-wire foam tools. I mean, we all worship at the alter of pink and blue foam and hot-wire is great, but the pro tools are ridiculously over priced. GoE member Pete and I kicked the idea back and forth, and a few days later he shot me an email saying not only had he figured it out on the cheap, he built one!

I really shouldn't have been surprised. Pete is the defacto mad scientist at GoE Labs, and this wasn't the 1st time he took and idea and ran with it to great success. Pete's design is perfect in its simplicity, it works great, and it costs about $20 bucks!

Soon after he built his, he started developing a how-to which I tested by building one, and then another for a friend. Tests were a 110% "this rocks!" success. So much so that I decided to build a fancy new foam tool around it. I really hope the community digs this, because compared to the cost of the pro rigs, this is incredible and it works just awesome.

Pete's $20 variable hot-wire power supply:
GoE Labs: How-To!,Hot-Wire Foam Cutter, Core, variable power, Power Supply, for $20 - Garage of Evil!!

My how to for building a pro-rig for cheap:
The Mach 11 Foam-Erator Extreme (Turbo) How-To - Garage of Evil!!

·
Banned
101 Posts
Oops .... somebody goofed :eek:

Our apologies – this page was not found
correct link

GoE Labs: How-To!,Hot-Wire Foam Cutter, Core, variable power, Power Supply, for $20 - Garage of Evil!!

Ok , after viewing this and checking out the parts needed , can you tell me how you come up with aprox $20 . 00 to build ? . Shoot , the tranformer that is specified is $15.00 by itself .
Thanks for the headsup anyway ... but , an old train transformer ( when found ) works REALLY good also . ( I got mine from a yard sale for a buck - :) )

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Links are all fixed, thanks for that catch.

And the trans is about 13- 15 depending on how you source it. The other part is a single pole dimmer, about 5 bucks. Everything else is ancillary, and purely your choice. Take the two I built, I used some spare boxes I had around and sacrificed a power cord I had. Be creative, you're a haunter for (insert your deity) sake!

·
Registered
591 Posts
I want to build one the 15.00 tranformer is doable but when i went to the website of a place that sells them it said use for flourasne lights.so I was wondering would a tranformer from a flouransce work?I have a few around or is there other things that would work?like the train transformer don't have but could look for one.

·
Banned
101 Posts
the OLD style train transformers work ... NOT the new styles . The old style does NOT have the electronics in them to pop the connection to off due to a short ( remember when you was a little kid and had a train set , and used to tell your little brother ... "go ahead , you can touch it " LOL
Anyway , the new style again , will NOT work . One of th old rotary styles will do fine . There is nothing in them to prevent the short that is needed to do a foam hotwire .

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As stated above old style transformers will work. What makes this little transformer so unique for it's price is that (1) - it's dimmable! (2) it puts out a near perfect current for the application (3) it's thermal protected (4) it's freakin' cheap.

·
Banned
101 Posts
What I think you mean , is that , that , particular transformer has little , or NO hum when dimming .
All toroidal transformers are dimmable to a degree , ( I believe its within 15 per cent before shut off ) although , NOT all electronic ones are. BUT , the toroidal transfomers WILL hum also and possibly flicker ( for a light that is ).
Those , that you are suggesting , are electronic dimmers .
Also ... I have looked and looked , and can not find a dimmer for $5.00 ( or even close to it )
Can I ask , where are you finding dimmers for that cheap ?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I found one at home depot for $5.00, maybe you're not looking hard enough.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The way I see it is even if the dimmr is 10.00 and it costs 30 to make at least is not the 150.00 starting price for a pro one.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Partsman, I hate to break this to you, but you're wrong. They're 4.95, I just checked myself. :)
You got a better price than I did!!:eek: Cool, I'm going back to see if I can get another for the scoll table model.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Just wanted to make sure that I am not being misunderstood here . I am not trying to give anyone a rough time , its just that for example - there is a $20.00 prop thingy that means , just that ... $20.00 , not 30 or 40 , or ...
So , when you said $20 thats what I was trying to figure out ... how this would be $20.00 .
Not saying that its not cheaper than the commercially sold ones .
It is a good deal and folks should realize that I am not knocking you , or anything , just wanted to try and clarify the $20.00 part , and how you came up with that figure .

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll play along, mainly because I get a kick out of people that obsess over minutia.

Here's how mine priced out:
Leftover project box: $0
Pony Trans. $13.50
SP Dimmer $4.95
Sacrificial Power cord $0.

So mine ran me $18.45.

If I needed a box for it I could get the same one Pete used for less than $2 at Home Depot. Say that raises it up to $20.45

Maybe I should include the electrical tape too, I suppose I could figure that out. I used a couple wire nuts I found at the bottom of my toolbox, so kick in another .05 while we're at it.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Ok ... now that you all have been a little smart a$$ sounding . Lets see the $5.00 dimmers that are supposedly at Home Depot . For your benefit , here is a link to HOME DEPOT's website with the serach for DIMMER SWITCH :

( kinda notice the prices too , if you will . Sorry , but sure as heck do NOT see any for around $5.00 ! ! :mad: )

Search Results for dimmer switch

·
Registered
107 Posts
Who cares....
If the dimmer is $5.00 or $15.00, the thing that really matters is that once again the folks from the GOE have provided a GREAT Service for those of us not as inventive as they are. These folks are freaking awesome. Why snipe over the small stuff, its time that could be spent proping or drinking. Wait a minute what am I doing..... sorry need to go I here a cold one calling.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I actually snapped that last night while sourcing some home depot goodies and then decided it would be snarky to post it.

Oh, and Dan - thank you very much for the kind words man, and again much credit to Pete for coming up with this solution.

·
Registered
594 Posts
No, smart asses would say something like,

"Kindly notice the $4.95 Home Depot price tag in the picture below"

or

"For your benefit, here is the price".

Sheesh. Makes me want the last 5 minutes of my life back.

·
Registered
630 Posts
You said it Dixie, I've only seen one snippy smart a$$ in this thread.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Lutron Rotary Dimmers
Lutron Glyder Dimmers
Plus most brick and mortar stores website post a higher price on there website to keep the competition from going on line and finding out how much they charge then under cutting them.and there are more in the store than there is online.so there very well could be 5.00dimmers just not shown online.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts