Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else in a hot and humid climate where putting up outside decorations around this time just feels so summery? I'm down here in Florida where there is no difference between now and August swamp-weather. It's either wait for the stray cool-ish night in October (which may never come!) or suck it up and do my outdoor decorating in the torrid heat.

What do, hottie haunters?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Last night at Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Orlando, it was so humid that I couldn't wear the complete costume while scaring guests in the Psychoscareapy street zone. I had to leave the blood-stained robe behind. And even after that, at midnight when I was off stage I literally had to wring out the scrubs I was wearing as an escaped psycho patient. I was sucking up gallons of water during the event, which was a good thing since I was losing gallons too. Fortunately the humidity levels will drop as it gets closer to Halloween. So will the temps. Why, by then it will only be 80 at night! Break out the sweatshirts!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes! I'm in Alabama and it's still pretty miserable here. Was around 90 yesterday and I was blazing in the sun. I'm not setting up Halloween outside yet, but have been out working on a few things/sorting/etc to get everything ready and have to run in and out frequently and drink lots of water. Lowes/Home Depot all have mums out, but those things won't last long in this kind of heat!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
fighting the weather... I try not to.....but I am one of those who works well on a hot and humid day... sweat like a "Hog", drink lots of liquids.
At my advanced age of 66 years , the Winter is my enemy in many ways and my body doesn't like it much,shoveling tons of snow at two propertys 4 blocks apart, was a "Pain" so I bought a Jeep, don't worry about the long snow covered driveway 4 blocks away, I just drive over the snow, but then i like to hear it "Scream!" (Insert evil laugh here!)
I have been South a couple of times always in November,so I really don't know what the weather can be to that Summer extreme.
For many years my town was always listed as :"The coldest Place in Illinois" (Encyclopedia Britannica) 32 below zero.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I've sort of gotten used to decorating while sweating profusely and it sucks. I will decorate outside on Oct. 3rd regardless and wish for cooler days!

·
Valkyrie Of Halloween
2,435 Posts
It is definitely a pain, we stopped working on anything by May, then July just was a drench fest for us and we even had a tornado go over our property. So have had to have some trees removed and the landscape is now changed. Getting to work on the land layout and props now. Time to crank it out, it was 92 yesterday and to be that again today.
Just keep the water close at hand! And build what you can inside or in the winter ;)
This is one of the reasons we started the Florida Haunters, to be able to get together and discuss how we work around our weather issues. It has been great in that aspect! Always sharing ways to protect props from wind, rain and roaches!
We have had some great make and takes in the winter and a brave few have held some in the summer/heat. Always nice to have an air conditioned place for those though! LOL!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am glad to see I'm not the only one :D Sometimes I think wistfully about what it would be like to live up north (north of Florida means just about anywhere else lol) and have crisp fall air while I'm putting up my haunt outside. Ah well, perhaps someday.

IshWitch, thanks for telling me about your group! I am checking it out as we speak!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Normally, not hot. This year though it doesn't seem like mother nature's all there. I'm in Canada, it's supposed to be cooling down, but there's no evidence of it yet. I'm sure I'll be wishing I'm in Florida come halloween though. The last 4 years running it's been raining cold and windy only a couple of degrees above the freezing mark, and they keep teasing me that this year we're supposed to get an early winter. We'll see. Mother nature forgot to give us snow for Christmas last year, and she delivered it on easter instead, so we'll see if she's kicked that MJ habit by Halloween.

·
Registered
629 Posts
We don't usually have the humidity issues but the temps make up for it. This summer the temps kept bouncing from the high 80s to over 100 degrees We'd have a day or two of nice 80s temps and then it'd shoot back up above 100 for a week or so then the cycle would repeat. I think the highest temp we had was 108 and today its supposed to be 101.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm down in the very tip of southern California and it is still very hot down here. We don't have much humidity (thank goodness) but our forecast for today is 107. I was part of the secret reaper and had to attach a note to my list that although I like things like candles and chocolates, it's probably not the best idea to send. If UPS leaves it at the door, I would have a puddle of wax or chocolate haha.
If we want to decorate outside, we wait until the sun goes down.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Another SoCal resident, and although we don't typically have the constant humidity, we've had several series of humid and hot weather. I don't know how you in Florida do it....

I love fall and Halloween, but am never in the mood to put out decorations and drink pumpkin spice lattes when it is so hot. I don't do heat well. It's at 96 degrees now and it's only 11:30.... sigh My plan was to decorate this weekend. So far, I haven't even brought out the bins.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Another SoCal resident, and although we don't typically have the constant humidity, we've had several series of humid and hot weather. I don't know how you in Florida do it....

I love fall and Halloween, but am never in the mood to put out decorations and drink pumpkin spice lattes when it is so hot. I don't do heat well. It's at 96 degrees now and it's only 11:30.... sigh My plan was to decorate this weekend. So far, I haven't even brought out the bins.
I hear you. I just wish it would cool down enough to enjoy a hot spiced tea without feeling like your face is melting off. You must be close by. My phone says our current weather is 95 haha.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Las Vegas here. It's 103 in my area right now. Fortunately there is little to no humidity here, and the temps have been dropping into the 70s at night. Will start decorating in the beginning of October, when it is a little "cooler" during the day (I.e. Low to mid 90s).

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
North central Texas here where it is getting a little cooler but still so much more humid than normal. I was trying to work in the garage on some things but it was just taking forever for paint to dry today that I just gave up. Of course, 30 minutes after I've cleaned up a north breeze picks up and the temps drop about 10 degrees. Oh well. Cooler is cooler, I'm not complaining.

Reactions: IshWitch

·
Registered
251 Posts
I hear you. I just wish it would cool down enough to enjoy a hot spiced tea without feeling like your face is melting off. You must be close by. My phone says our current weather is 95 haha.
Maybe! On top of high temps in our area, our power company did an unscheduled power outage for some of us in the county! Luckily, it only lasted 2 hours, but no fans with 100+ degree heat? Definitely no Halloween decorating today!

·
Valkyrie Of Halloween
2,435 Posts
Oh dang 6-paq! We burned brush in our firepit today and a couple days ago. It was mid 90s so why not do something that is hotter? :rolleyes: LOL!
SepiaKeys, DavyKnowles and MC HauntDreams, I'm having a Make &Take the first weekend of March. It is a campout Fri-Sun, so please come on up to Citrus Co and join in! Main build might be tombstones. But will do other stuff as well, and don't forget the firepit D&T weenie roast, cemetery walk, and just plain good camping fun! If you aren't into the whole tent thing, there is a hotel less than 2 miles away that has good rates and ratings. ;) :D

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yep ! I feel you !!!!!!!!!!! I live in the desert in California and even today it was 91 out =/. I have not started any of my outdoor stuff yet because the heat. For me it even makes Halloween shopping not as fun, with the nasty heat. But I can only look forward to First week of Oct it starts really cooling down

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I'm in Jacksonville, FL and my garage was a literal sweat shop this weekend. Fortunately I have a pool so I can get soaked with sweat and dive in the pool to cool off.

I'm more worried about rain this year as we've had two sunny days the past month or so.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts