Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just wanted to know if there is a huge difference between hot glue guns? Im going to need to buy one and it looks like prices are all over the board. In Wally World a larger glue gun is about $7, but in Lowes the same size gun is $14. Do the less expensive guns work well or would they be a waist of money? I have a ton of glueing I need to do so I do need a good glue gun.
Thanks everyone as always you guys are fantastic, audible

·
Mistress of Mayhem
1,673 Posts
I'm no expert, but I do know that they come in different wattages. And some use the mini sticks and some use the normal size sticks. Some are dual-temp some are single temp. I got mine at Michael's, it's a SureBonder, only has one temp - high, and uses the regular size sticks. I have had no problems with it whatsoever.

Here is the one I bought. I think it was under $20: Glue Gun

·
Registered
340 Posts
yep, msmello has it right. Power is the main difference. Higher watts lets you pump out a higher volume of hot glue faster. Getting a variable temp gun is a good idea, I wish I got one when I was shopping for one. The glue sticks very well to pvc and plastics and pink foam (among many other things) but the high temp tends to melt the foam a little. I would think a little lower temp would minimize that.

I tried a bunch of different sticks too. There really does seem to be a difference between the regular and 'maximum strength' and the sticks for basic materials and the ones for everything including plastics, glass and non porous surfaces. I stick with the best sticks I can find and it's become my go-to glue for Halloween props!

Good luck!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Another question is if different guns melt the glue to different consistances? I believe someone made a post about making PVC candles and made a comment about how runny the glue should be to make "wax" drips on the sides.

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
I too had to purchase a new gun. I have the mini - but it was taking FOREVER on the pvc candles.

I first went to Hobby Lobby, and OMG. They were outrageous!

I went to WM - MUCH better! I thought about a dual temp one, and thought, hell since I have the smaller one, I just need one temp on this one - HOT! and yes, it's much better for the pvc candles, I get much more realistic wax with it, than with the mini. But the mini is good for foam.

Now, that being said, I've burnt the piss outta my fingers twice now!! It gets mmmmuuucchh hotter than the mini! So, be careful! LOL

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow you guys are incredible! I was just about to go out and buy my glue gun right now so I figured I would give it a shot and see if anyone had commented on my glue gun question. Of course 4 people were right on top of it. This forum and all of you are the best. I started my props and have finished 4 frames for my ground breakers so far. Im doing the rolled up paper with PVC spine and they are coming out pretty well thanks to all of you. Im lucky, I have 4 days a week off (3 12hr shifts) so I have a great deal of time to work on my props every weekend.

My list of prop projects:
6 ground breakers
6 skulls on stakes
8 skull tiki torches
4 and of possible more PVC candles
2 Pumpkinrot type scarecrows

I think thats enough for this year.
Thanks everyone again, audible

For this year I

·
Mistress of Mayhem
1,673 Posts
Oh audible, I think you will find that the PVC candles are addicting. Soon you will end up with about 36 of them like me. They are really fun to do.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love the look of the groups of PVC candles. I have not started on them yet because im having trouble finding the flicker candles here in Phoenix. If you have any idea of where I can find them I would really appreciate it.
Thanks and good luck on all your projects. Its getting close to haunt day!!! audible

·
Mistress of Mayhem
1,673 Posts
Are you looking for the real flicker bulbs or just the LED battery-operated ones? I know Home Depot and Wal-Mart sell the real flicker bulbs and the LED ones you can get at most drug stores I believe, as well as dollar stores.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am looking for the flicker lights on the strand unless you are using something else that works well. If you can let me know what type your using that would be great. Thanks again, audible

·
Registered
81 Posts
Cvs pharmacy carries the strand with ten flicker lights. It was $9.99 for the strand. If you buy the bulbs by them self it is over $15. This way you get the socket to. I just got done making 16 pvc candles last week and will post some photos Wensday. I used Tera's tutorial and I think they turned out very well. One thing that I recommend is after your candles are all done. Get brown and black poster paint mix it together so you get a dark mud color. Paint it on your candles all over the wax drippings. Then take a wet paper towel ( not dripping just damp ) and whip the paint of in a down ward motion. The brown will stay in all the dips in the hot clue and give it a great antique look. I think it really took the candles to the next level.
Again I will post the photos on Wednesday.

Good luck with your candles. Like Msmello said they are fun and addicting.

2,442 Posts
I use an Arrow TR550, I've had it for 3 years and it works like a charm. It uses 11mm glue sticks.
I've use mini guns but they always break really easily, this ones robust and will last a long time and it's made in the USA :)

for $20.06 you can't go wrong...you can also buys it with some glue sticks for $24.49

·
Registered
438 Posts
A bit late to the reply, but I just ordered a 3M model from Amazon:
Amazon.com: 3M Scotch-Weld AE II Hot Melt Applicator: Home & Garden

It was $50 with free shipping, should be here in a couple days. I bought it mainly to rig up a webber with my air compressor. It got great reviews, and from what I can tell is a 250watt model, although I didn't know that when buying it. I assume that means I can melt glue sticks pretty fast and will hopefully be able to apply my web pretty quickly, but we'll see. This will be my first try at this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A bit late to the reply, but I just ordered a 3M model from Amazon:
Amazon.com: 3M Scotch-Weld AE II Hot Melt Applicator: Home & Garden

It was $50 with free shipping, should be here in a couple days. I bought it mainly to rig up a webber with my air compressor. It got great reviews, and from what I can tell is a 250watt model, although I didn't know that when buying it. I assume that means I can melt glue sticks pretty fast and will hopefully be able to apply my web pretty quickly, but we'll see. This will be my first try at this.
NICE, 4lbs an hour. This is a pro unit. I may get this. I use two linked rincky-dink 40watt guns and a leafblower (or mattress inflator) and get about a pound an hour... with a lousey reheat time 'cause of the 40w.

With this and the 'blower I could really do some damage, mah ha ha

Don't bother with compressors, small leaf blowers and a/c powered air mattress inflators are just simpler.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts