Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used there Coatings for foam products like tombstones? Is Drylock about the same. Let me know your thoughts

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
Thank you for posting these links, UnOrthodOx. I was searching for these threads for a while, but couldn't find them.

Good read I’m thinking this would be over kill for tombstones ?
Not at all. If you invest a lot of time and work in a tombstone, there's no reason why you shouldn't have it protected.

·
Super Moderator
5,708 Posts
Good read I’m thinking this would be over kill for tombstones ?
The only thing I'll say is that a good THICK coat of the exterior foam coat would add a decent amount of weight. But they'd be nigh-bullet proof to any normal wear and tear.

It might be worth your time to read this thread which focused on my tomb build. I used the foam coat where I had used the green floral foam. If you've never worked with that green foam, it's about as tough as playdough. I used various methods for different parts of the tomb as well.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/112312-recondite-unorthodoxs-2012-theme-open-discussion.html

I sold it to a fellow haunter who still puts it up. Over 6 years, it's been bumped by cars, used as storage, stepped on, etc. The foam coating didn't like the car, but otherwise has held up to being in a garage with a busy household life going on around it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you need to do deeper lettering because there products are thicker than DryLock is that a fare statement ? I’m going to a show this weekend and they will have a booth and was thinking about picking some up.

·
Super Moderator
5,708 Posts
Oh the foam coat goes on akin to something like peanut butter. (or rather thinning it to a paintable consistency was unimpressive on protection Drylock is just like a thick paint.

Depending on the look you're going for, you might even be able to do the lettering IN the foam coat itself. Just cut a little trough to all it to be deep enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts