Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
For Your Demonic Needs!
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't actually sure where to post this but figured this would be a good place to start. Ok so I've been incredibly busy for quite some time and most of my free time has been spent working on my stories or artwork. My landlord asked me to help do something with the building. This place is dedicated to art and has been largely unused since the after school art program went 6ft under almost 2 years ago. I've been toying with the idea of doing shows here but haven't been able to decide what to do until a few weeks ago. My first show is going to be a short story reading event called "View From The Shadows" and I'm excited to say the least. I have a lot of work to do to get it set up and I'm working on zero budget. Thankfully the venue is easy. Its getting the word out there and getting writers in here. I've had a lot of positive feed back from people and just posted an ad last week. I know I'm doing this with zero experience also. I'm having trouble finding a sound system to use but will hopefully find something soon. I will be reading one of my stories that night as well. It's going to be on June 18th, which is also my wedding anniversary. Yes my wife is happy with this and is helping me a lot! Anyways, readings start at 6PM. Here is the poster I made for it.

View From The Shadows Poster.jpg

I took that picture myself on 5/11/16 at 2:57AM. Its completely unedited too, outside of adding the borders and text! I couldn't believe my luck! Anyways, Here is the link to my ad:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ats/5585198079.html

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
It sounds great! Best of luck with everything!
If you could get local media on it, that would be wonderful, but I know in a large urban setting they have lots to cover and it can be difficult to get on their radar.

·
For Your Demonic Needs!
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I would love that but this is too small of an event and too unknown right now to get media coverage on any level. I'm hoping though that this takes off. I would love for this to be a regular event for Chicago's literary and artistic community. I have a lot of plans for this on the future. I have an entire 2 sorry store front style building to use fit events like this one, art shows, and concerts.

·
For Your Demonic Needs!
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
10 Posts
Honestly, I don't think a Craigslist ad is the way to go to attract writers...(I'm a writer myself with a handful of stories published in anthologies).

You may want to hang out on a few writer's sites, take some time to peruse the forums so you don't seem like a spammer. Forums like Absolute Write, Forward Motion Writers, maybe even reader sites like Goodreads, Smashwords, ect. Be sure to mention that this is a "for the love" type venue, and that there's no money involved in getting paid. Like in your Craigslist ad, be sure also to mention that you're open to published and unpublished or novice writers or oral storytellers as well. Are there independent bookstores in Chicago that would love to promote this sort of thing? I've heard that Chicago does have a vibrant artistic community, but you need to find a way to reach the artists first.

Are you open to poetry? Skits? Plays? What are you not looking for? You may want to have a writer friend look over your ad. I think you need separate promotions: one to attract the writers and one later to promote the event to those who would like to see live readings.

I think what you're doing is great! Also, ridiculously hard. Good luck!

·
For Your Demonic Needs!
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your advise! I'm going into this completely blind. My landlord, who wants this building used for anything art, asked me help bring in artists and shows. Honestly it's more of a need it used issue. I have no experience. I'm not even a published writer...yet. I've only sold a small amount of my glass carvings. As for Chicago yes there's a huge art scene but it's not easy to get into. My wife and I have only lived in Chicago for four years. Literally going from zero to 60 here. I'm a bit a of recluse. A social recluse tbh but that doesn't help. I will check out those forums. I like the idea of plays! Honestly I'm open to any kind of performance that doesn't destroy the building. The hardest part of this for me really is the fact that my job requires so much of my time. The next thing I need to get set up is an art show. I will see what I can do. Again thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts