Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So due to medical issues I never got around to doing anything with my poor horse skeleton this winter. I need to disassemble her and get her stored for the summer. The problem is I am not sure what kind of storage tote she'd fit in. I have taken measurements but I am having brain fail.

QUESTION: If you have your horse in a tote for storage what are the dimensions? Where did you get it?

I don't want to get one that is too big because my Halloween storage space is nearly maxed.

·
Registered
628 Posts
We have an assembled horse at the barn and it really does take up quite a bit of space. I can't tell you what size tote it would fit in but it occurred to me that maybe those bags that you put stuff in then hook up the vacuum to would save some space. Just an idea. Of course you could just leave it assembled in your yard and see how long before someone from PETA drove by and reported you for animal cruelty.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'd like to know as well. Right now mine is standing assembled at the end of the hallway. He gets a pat every time we walk by to get to the thermostat LOL

·
Registered
14,164 Posts
I was thinking of using a very large and sturdy outdoor cushion storage bag for mine. I was debating about separating some of the body parts of the horse and using 2 bags but have been reconsidering that decision, kind of concerned without box support around it it could get broken. That rib cage is huge and very heavy.

Here's a few photos I took of the box from last year when we were storing it after assembly.

The carton it shipped in from Home Depot measured: 40 in x 22.5 in x 24 in.; shipping weight was 39.6 lbs. As you can see from the photos the pieces settle in the box and the parts don't come to the top.

I did find a storage bag at Improvements Catalog that would accommodate the shipping box with the horse inside and had several sets of handles including 2 on the side. It did take both my husband and I to carry from our garage to the front porch so the handles would be nice. Dimensions: 50in W x 25in L x 26in H. http://www.improvementscatalog.com/imp/322094 Through 4/14 @11:59pmET they have a 25% off on outdoor (code MM7W283) bringing the cost from 39.99 to 29.99 plus shipping.

World Market (CostPlus) has a lighter weight storage bag with similar dimensions, 48in W x 27in D x 24in H, that might work although not sure about the 24in high dimension if you want to put the storage box in there too, no handles I could see though, also for 39.99 (they have a 20% off sale thru 4/17 - code SUNFUN). Only listing shipping option, no store pickup. https://www.worldmarket.com/product/outdoor-cushions-storage-bag.do

I do have some huge plastic, rugged storage containers on wheels, think we bought from Target a while back (maybe Sterilite or Rubbermaid brand), that I can see if they might be large enough to hold the rib cage and/or rest of parts and report back. We're working on organizing our garage better so can report back after this weekend. If it works you might have to separate the horse into two totes. I do see Sterilite makes a 45 gal wheeled latching tote that says its dimensions are 36.63 x 21 x 19.5H that HD carries for 23.47. The tote on wheels I have is not this one though, it's much more rugged. Lowes has a 50-gal tote for 21.98 that might work: 43.81in x 21.81in x 18.16 high. No wheels on it though. Can't be sure about the rib cage dimensions without taking it out of the box and measuring it.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really don't want to go the bag route. The box it was shipped in was TRASHED. I am frankly surprised it survived as the box was almost in shreds.

I'd love to hear your results. 2 smaller boxes might actually be ideal if I can find 2 that match*** and will fit the rib cage and are long enough for the leg pieces.

*** Why do they need to match? They just do, OK.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,782 Posts
If you are considering boxes, look at Home Depot. They have some pretty big boxes in their moving/storage section. I think the largest is like 3 feet long by 2 x 2 feet at our store. The moving boxes are decent quality too.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah needs to be a plastic tote. Cardboard is just not a good idea for storing stuff in the garage with the amount of humidity we have all summer.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Frustrated that I couldn't find HUGE plastic storage tubs, as a proof of concept, I made some boxes out of the cheap and thin luan plywood. Worked great except they are too heavy to carry around. I think I might play around with making Corrugated Plastic boxes next. Unless you are storing something really heavy I'm thinking that they could be assembled with foil duct tape.

boxes02.jpg

boxes01.jpg

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I keep meaning to make some coffins I can use out in the yard that double as storage off season. Unfortunately it's already getting too warm to start on any big projects for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts