Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted to make a horse/hearse for sometime now but until this year, it really wasn't in the Halloween budget.
Took a trip to my local Re-store (Habitat for Humanity) and happened across a handful of recycled building products that just seemed to lend themselves well to a hearse project. I've shopped at the Re-store many times for Halloween and I always send em pictures for their website. They know me well and was very easy to talk em into giving me everything for 1/2 price) I ended up spending $40 for everything picture. The oak balusters where the majority of the cost. (Asking $10 each, I paid $5 each)
IMG_3617.jpg
Threw another $100 at lumber and managed to borrow a couple sets of wheels from a neighbor that put me well on my way.
IMG_3640.jpg
IMG_3686.jpg
Found myself a $10 set of carriage lamps on kijiji and things started to take shape.
IMG_3721.jpg

My horse was an entirely different monster. 4- 2x12x8' make up the majority of the horse to the tune of another $100. (couple 2x4 scraps were also used for portions of the front legs)
I actually resorted to public school art class techniques to help with the horse. I found a picture of a skeleton horse, traced it off my computer screen onto graph paper then enlarged the graph on my lumber. It allows you to focus on drawing one little square at a time while maintaining proportions.
I receive a couple days worth of teasing bout the "Dinosaur" I was making. :p
IMG_3809.jpg
Did a little shaping of edges with a flap disk on my angle grinder then hit all the low spots with black spray paint and rolled all the high spots white some ivory Tremclad.
IMG_3814.jpg
and here's where I'm at now.
IMG_3826.jpg
IMG_3847.jpg
Certainly not finished, but stoked with the progress thus far.
Stay tuned!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. The Budget has defiantly been the deciding factor for everything. I know it's not my best work, but for what I did have to work with, I'm pretty pleased with myself.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Really great work! The re-purposed parts fit right in, and I love how you made the skeletal horse be in an 'action' pose.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty stoked Ken (Thx btw) I've wanted to build this prop for sometime now but never really had the opportunity to. Crazy to think it all started with this. :)

IMG_3868.jpg

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spent the evening hooking up lights and by the time I was finished was feeling quite pleased with myself. Had more than a few people stop by and compliment my efforts but one question kept emerging. "Where did you get the Hearse?" I figure if they couldn't tell it was fake, I did my job well. :)

IMG_3986.jpg

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Great job...

Love the wheels..and I like the style of your skeleton horse,,,I've made a few horses myself but not a skeleton horse because I never saw one I liked.. But yours is pretty cool and not just because it's rearing up...just the look in general. You could also attach some wings and a flamethrower and have a helluva dragon

I can't tell if you have glass windows or not, but if you don't and want them, head back to the ReStore. I picked up a double paned sliding glass door for mine. It's heavy but the safety glass is great if you have someone inside the hearse jumping up and banging on the glass to scare tots

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts