Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed that horror, as a genre, is becoming the new anime? Horror shows are all over TV, the paranormal is popular, it's big in comics, and events are popping up everywhere. Things like Ghostbusters clubs, zombie socials, cons, Rocky Horror events, etc. What do you think?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've never experienced a time when anime has been as big as horror. Horror or horror-themed shows have been on TV forever (with The Munsters, The Addams Family, The Twilight Zone, and Tales From the Crypt being the traditional classics & Tales From the Darkside and Are You Afraid of the Dark? being some of the less recent cult classics.) Horror movies have always been huge from the time that Universal Studios started releasing their monster movies and there's rarely a year that goes by when a horror movie doesn't end up as the #1 movie at the box office. At the same time horror movies were coming into popularity, horror/suspense radio plays were very popular. On the other hand, the only anime I've ever been exposed to has been through a few friends who watch/play Pokemon or enjoy Dragon Ball Z. I don't see anime flipping through channels on TV and I don't see it at the movies. I've also never heard of anime events, though classic horror events like "Rocky Horror Picture Show" screenings and more recent horror events like "Run for Your Lives" are tremendously popular.

Horror never really goes away; it ebbs and flows. In the '90s the Scream franchise ruled. Then after a few years' lull, I Know What You Did Last Summer and its sequels popped up. Shortly after that the Final Destination franchise came along. More recently we have the Saw and Paranormal Activity franchises. At the same time these franchises were popping up, lower budget high quality horror films were being released. Sure, zombies are really popular right now but blood-sucking vampires used to be huge in the '90s and monsters used to be huge in the '50s. I don't really see the genre changing or growing in popularity. It's as popular as it's always been!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never experienced a time when anime has been as big as horror. Horror or horror-themed shows have been on TV forever (with The Munsters, The Addams Family, The Twilight Zone, and Tales From the Crypt being the traditional classics & Tales From the Darkside and Are You Afraid of the Dark? being some of the less recent cult classics.) Horror movies have always been huge from the time that Universal Studios started releasing their monster movies and there's rarely a year that goes by when a horror movie doesn't end up as the #1 movie at the box office. At the same time horror movies were coming into popularity, horror/suspense radio plays were very popular. On the other hand, the only anime I've ever been exposed to has been through a few friends who watch/play Pokemon or enjoy Dragon Ball Z. I don't see anime flipping through channels on TV and I don't see it at the movies. I've also never heard of anime events, though classic horror events like "Rocky Horror Picture Show" screenings and more recent horror events like "Run for Your Lives" are tremendously popular.

Horror never really goes away; it ebbs and flows. In the '90s the Scream franchise ruled. Then after a few years' lull, I Know What You Did Last Summer and its sequels popped up. Shortly after that the Final Destination franchise came along. More recently we have the Saw and Paranormal Activity franchises. At the same time these franchises were popping up, lower budget high quality horror films were being released. Sure, zombies are really popular right now but blood-sucking vampires used to be huge in the '90s and monsters used to be huge in the '50s. I don't really see the genre changing or growing in popularity. It's as popular as it's always been!
Anime events, for example , are cons, crisp lay groups, and collectible card and miniature games , most of which are based on anime. Anime was bigger in the 90s and 200s. Cartoon Network, other cartoon channels, and SyFy , have anime blocks. Goosebumps is also a cult classic. Monsters, and B- movies, are also big.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The 1930's films of Bela and Boris were drug back out and re-shown for World War Two. They distracted the general populace from the War and also provided scripts showing good guys winning over very evil and strange "Furr-en nuurz!"
Maybe Dr. Frankenstein's monster represented the German weapons technology , so highly touted, Failing?

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
Horror has been a constant in culture.

From what I've seen, Anime was more a fad. It had it's time in pop culture, but I believe it's started to go back "underground".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts