Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get everything set up, plug all my lights/electronics in, and fire up my fog machines. About 15 minutes later, I realize my big fog machine hasn't kicked on. It's dead!

It's a 10 year old VEI v960. It's a really nice continuous fogger with pretty high output; it's been fogging the neighborhood for years. But it looks like the pump has failed. I think it's heating and I hear a single click when I press the remote. I have a back-up Spirit 1000 w unit, but it's nowhere near the same. I had a little fog, but I was so disappointed.

I had fired the 960 up twice this season, including Wednesday night, though it was noisier than usual.

Fortunately, it was windy all night, so good fog was going to be difficult.

I'm going to try it again today and then take it part to see I can figure out what is wrong, but I never thought I would be happy that it was windy on Halloween...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
So sorry to hear that. Glad you had a back up.

I couldn't even use my foggers as there was no place to put them where they wouldn't be in the snow.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had everything ready to go except my fog juice - I was trying to get a rolling ground fog effect to help w/ my "ocean" scene (pirates) - had the fogger, built a chiller, and had ordered some Froggy's as it was supposed to be the best for low ground fog. I actually paid more for shipping than for the actual product to get it delivered by 10/31, and then I got the email that said they can't ship it until 11/4. So ... cancelled that and stuck w/ my blue lights. Next year I hope to be much more prepared!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ive had the same 700W lite fx fogmaster fog machine for 20 yrs now. Bought it in 1999. The casing had started to fall apart a bit. But it still works great every year

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive had the same 700W lite fx fogmaster fog machine for 20 yrs now. Bought it in 1999. The casing had started to fall apart a bit. But it still works great every year
I have one of those too. My brother still uses it...great little fogger....

·
Registered
211 Posts
It looks like a knock off from Antari machines. If it has a Ulka pump in it, you can replace the gasket in it for around $5 or replace the entire pump for around $30 or so. That seems to be the main culprit in the good units. I have a few rebuilt pumps sitting around.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a follow up about my fogger tragedy last year. I took the pump apart and gave it a cleaning. Put it back together but no luck. So I ordered a pump from Halloween FX Props. Put it in and got some puffs of smoke but it wouldn't fog; however, it looked like the not all the lights on the remote were working. The VEI doesn't use the connector most fog machines use, so none of my other remotes would fit. I had also lost the wireless remote years ago. Turns out, though, that my Chauvet remote fits the wireless port, so I plugged it in. And what do you know - fog! Unfortunately, I couldn't control it.

So I took the VEI remote apart and what did I find? One of the connectors was off. A little bit of soldering, plugged it back in , and I'm back in business - working fog machine!

I don't know if I needed a new pump, but I'm happy to have saved this thing for minimal cost. Halloween miracles!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I repaired a fog machine last year. I thought it was the pump but what happened was something clogged the juice line so that the thermofuse(?) (thermal fuse) blew. The pump destroyed itself trying to pump through the clog. I replaced the fuse and pump and ran a wire to clean out the juice line. It works great now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts