Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your favorite horror and Halloween movies? Your must watch for the season :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
The list could really go on forever, but the one I ALWAYS have to have playing while I am prepping food the day before our annual party is "Monster Squad". It was my favorite when I was a kid and I still love it today. It always seems to "calm" me when I'm feeling anxious or nervous about the party planning process.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I always check out Halloween, with a twist. As a kid I recorded it from the local hometown station. This was right when they filmed some new footage of Michael as a child in the hospital, not sure if they did that specifically for tv. Anyway, years later I finally burned it to a DVD so I check it out, some commercials too for old times sake but also cool how the station used the eerie music and all to fade in and out of the movie. I also try to catch, I think, America's Best Haunts on Travel channel. My kids like to check out Halloween Wars on Food Network.
Not movie wise but I also like to, at night, wind down before sleep listening to the 'War of the Worlds' radio broadcast. Bought it on CD when the tom Cruise version came out. Very good production and funny to think how this caused such a panic quite a while ago, Halloween night I believe.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I like Halloween III, the one without Michael Myers! Its pretty low-budget, but the story has a good historical tie-in to Halloween. Its one of my only Blurays believe it or not!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Me for Halloween and Christmas is of courseThe nightmare before Christmas. Loved it since I was really little. As far as like scary movies go, I would say...hmm I really don't know my favorite. I liked the saw movies, I liked hostel. I like bloody gore movies, I do love nightmare on elm street too! I was told to watch poltergeist, never saw it but heard it was great!

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
For me it's the old classic Universal and Hammer movies...Any and all of them!
I usually try to unwind by watching one before retiring for the evening. Tonight I have Hammer's "Dracula has risen from the grave" lined up. :)
I also enjoy "Trick R Treat" and of course the "Halloween" movies. (Original series and the Rob Zombie redux).

Sweet dreams...:D;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Me for Halloween and Christmas is of courseThe nightmare before Christmas. Loved it since I was really little.!
Me too :) I LOVE IT! BEcause it combines my two fav holidays.. Halloween and Christmas!!

Btw for me too Nightmare before Christmas and Halloween. Halloween is just perfect. And I also really like the Skeleton Key, one of the very few horror movies I loved because I really didn't expect it to be like that! I like some vodoo :)
And there is another movie.. I think it's poltergeist. When the little kid says "The tv people" she just scares the hell out of me :D

·
Registered
924 Posts
I'll list my 'must watch in October movies'

Hocus Pocus, Nightmare Before Christmas, Trick R Treat, Pet Sematery, Carrie, Sleepy Hollow (Johnny Depp and Cartoon), The Shining, Carpenter's Halloween, Child's Play 1-3 and Bride of Chucky, and I love all the Treehouse of Horrors from The Simpsons.

Since we're on the subject... Anyone else think Rob Zombie should of just made a prequel to Halloween instead of a remake?

·
Registered
265 Posts
The one movie on my must watch list this year is "Trick r Treat". I've never seen it but it looks like it will be great, I know a lot of folks around here give it good comments. I also want to see Cabin in the Woods.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'll list my 'must watch in October movies'

Since we're on the subject... Anyone else think Rob Zombie should of just made a prequel to Halloween instead of a remake?
I think that's essentially what he did. I remember when it came out he tried to explain that it wasn't supposed to be a "remake" but more like a "re-telling" of the story. I love what he did with the movie, but then again, I like Rob Zombie's work, so I could be a smidge biased. :)

·
Registered
924 Posts
I think that's essentially what he did. I remember when it came out he tried to explain that it wasn't supposed to be a "remake" but more like a "re-telling" of the story. I love what he did with the movie, but then again, I like Rob Zombie's work, so I could be a smidge biased. :)
I liked the background story of Michael but the rest of it didn't need to be there.... they could have added more and not touched the original. That way both of them could have co-existed... Just my opinion though!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Legend of Sleepy Hollow, the cartoon, and Charlie Brown's Great Pumpkin always bring me back to when Halloween was most exciting for me. Of course they're not scary, but I still dig them. And now I watch them with my daughter who is only six. I still will watch the original Halloween and maybe someday check out R. Zombies version. Speaking of Zombie, my daughter loves Dragula, one of the songs she likes me to turn up in the car. Other than that, I'll watch anything spooky this month, minus the gore. I'm kind of a softy....

·
Registered
17 Posts
I always watch a few of the following:

Trick R Treat
Halloween (1978)
Creepshow
An American Werewolf in London
Evil Dead
Dracula (1931)
Young Frankenstein
House on Haunted Hill (1959)

Then I'll watch a couple new-to-me movies in between these.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think I responded to this question in another section, but my choices haven't changed: It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown; Garfield's Halloween Adventure; Scary Godmother's Halloween Spooktacular; Shrimpenstien (rare kinoscopes of a 60s TV show); Creepshow; Carpenter's Halloween; Halloween II; Halloween H20: Halloween Resurrection: The Wolfman (Lon Chaney Jr); Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein; Elvira, Mistress of the Dark; Elvira's Movie Macabre Featuring Night of the Living Dead; A Nightmare on Elm Street 4, the Dream Master (I did an interview with one of the stars for a newspaper I was writing for in 89, so this one brings back memories); Freddy vs. Jason; and my all-time favorite Halloween move, The Midnight Hour. There was a tread somebody started last month about the Midnight Hour. I was amazed that anyone but me even remembered it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Exorcist is one of my favorite movies anyway, but I do especially love to watch it this time of the year. My other top choices are Halloween, Halloween 4, Halloween 5, Halloween H20, The Omen, Amityville Horror, Poltergeist, It, Pet Cemetery, Carrie, and yes, The Lost Boys.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
You'll love Cabin in the Woods. My must sees are Hocus Pocus (already watched twice this season), Trick R Treat, The Exorcist, and Drag Me To Hell

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'll be enjoying my favorite Halloween comedy movie Ernest Scared Stupid. I grew up on Ernest movies and this one was always my favorite.

I will also watch: Tales from the Crypt Demon Knight, Fright Night (the original), Night of the Creeps, Dead Alive, Night of the Living Dead (and anything derived from this), House on Haunted Hill (original), Terrorvision, The Last House on the Left (original), Hellraiser, Cemetery Man, and a whole host of others.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,579 Posts
Usual suspects are Trick R Treat, Hocus Pocus, Nightmare before christmas. Just watched House of Wax and am going to watch Little Shop of Horrors, Corpse Bride and Monster House. If I get to watch all those, then Ill go into something with Scooby Doo and Johnny Depps Sleepy Hollow.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Trying to watch a scary movie each evening of October. But if I'm too busy, "having it on in the background" works too.

13 GHOSTS! The William Castle 1960 original. Accept no substitutes! This has got to be my favorite "light" Halloween movie...

If I want to get really creeped out? Then it's John Carpenter's THE FOG from 1979. Again, it's the original. Accept no substitutes. Try watching it at one in the morning when everything is quiet, and feel a cold chill!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
26 Participants
Jack'sEckstein
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing