Halloween Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

This is my first post on this forum, so apologies if it's not really in the right place!

I have a motor that I swiped from a microwave that I thought would be good to use for a crank ghost; it's low RPM (5-6) and should have a fairly OK amount of torque. My question really is about safely hooking it up to the AC. It's a 220/240v, 50/60Hz, 4W motor. I'm in the UK so my AC is 240v so that shouldn't be a problem. So am I pretty much safe enough to wire it directly to the the mains (with a switch inline so I can turn it on/off without running to the plug socket)? Naturally I'd want it safe with the kids around, so using covered flat/crimped connectors on the terminal would probably be a good idea, right? What about heat shrink or slathering it in hot glue? Would that work and be safe?

I appreciate that when dealing with mains there's always some kind of risk, but any advice from anyone that's "been there and done that" is appreciated, thanks!

Andy

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I definitely wouldn't use hot glue. If the wiring heats up, the glue is going to disappear and then you have bare wires.

Here in the US we have 120 standard. I really don't like working with it. It'll give you a good zap and can start a fire. Honestly, you couldn't pay me to work with 240.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts