Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd just throw this out here.. Many of you have probably tried this already, but so far it seems to be GREAT !

I can get all the shredded paper I could possibly ever need.
I really need to do LOTS of paper mache this year.

After much deliberation, I decided to try making my own paper mache clay.
I was really dreading having to cut and cut anc cut news paper for all our projects. So I thought that there has got to be a way to use the shredded paper that gets tossed in the recycle bin everyday...

WALLA !

I took probably 20 cups of shredded paper, and put it in my biggest pan. boiled this for a little while. This softens the paper and tends to make it fall apart. When this cooled, I added a little salt to help slow molding, and flour.
Enough flour so its a paste. I cant really say how much flour.. I just added until it was really sticky. I kept stopping... then decide to add more flour. Finally I could really tell that the mix was like a thick glue.

I havent used it yet, but from the feel of it, I think it will turn out great.
I intend to make several corpses. I will possibly use a regular strip paper mache to start and then this Clay for better detail.
Also we are going to make a huge tree person for our float and this will work out great for detail on the face. !!!

I probably have 10 lbs of clay for less than $2 !!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wow are you rich enough you shred dollar bills? Or are you talking about credit card and electric type bills.
:D LMAO, definately not dollar bills, definately not rich, but lots of bills; credit card bills, electric bill, water bill, phone bills, cable bill etc... plus all the junk that I wish I could stop, might as well shred it and use it for something useful.

Why does a company offer for you to go paperless, you select it but they still send the paper bills anyway? ? ? ?

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Lynn...if you've had a chance to make anything using this recipe for mache, I have a question for you:
Have your prop experienced any shrinking in areas you may have made the mache a bit thicker?

Reason I ask: I made a similar material a few years ago, and made a witches head using it...but, I used some as a clay-like material (it was certainly thick enough), and after a week or so, it started shrinking on me, giving a rough, pitted texture where the clay was thickest...I just used it to my advantage (witch, after all), but it wasn't what I had originally intended.

Anyway, if you haven't had shrinkage with this mix, I may give it a shot (my mix was boiled newspaper, flour, and white glue).

·
Registered
591 Posts
:D LMAO, definately not dollar bills, definately not rich, but lots of bills; credit card bills, electric bill, water bill, phone bills, cable bill etc... plus all the junk that I wish I could stop, might as well shred it and use it for something useful.

Why does a company offer for you to go paperless, you select it but they still send the paper bills anyway? ? ? ?
Canyou shred say a william,or tom?or just bills?LOL.I think some types of paper won't work and the glossy type I know doesn't.and don't use a good pan!the other half may use the clay on you.Full size paper mache mummy.

·
Registered
327 Posts
That's a great idea! I shred stuff all the time!

Another thing you can use, and I've done this before with much success, is that blow-in cellulose insulation. It comes already obliterated and you just add a bit of your glue/water/starch mixture. No boiling necessary! And its available at any hardware store in huge packages for under $10! (its about 40 Sq ft).

-EEric

·
Registered
591 Posts
The problem with blow-in cellulose insulation is it is sprayed with stuff to make it fire retardant and may cause problems with some people.and If you use it wear a dust mask it's dusty and you'll end up with paper mache boogers.Been there done that!Gross.

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imjustrobyn.. like that recipe! The toilet paper would make a finer clay.

My recipe is a little lumpy.

Joe, I havent noticed if it has shrunk but then the pumpkins I used it on is not very detailed so I'm not sure if they've shrunk. The only other thing I found with this mix.... it makes a difference on the type of paper you use. I think some types have a lot of glue and things so they done break apart so well when cooked.
I now am using shredded newsprint. I get the leftover newsprint rolls from the local paper. Its thinner paper and seems to not have the glues and things in it.
I think probably the toilet paper method would be best for detail. But otherwise for just a good base for your projects this works pretty well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts