Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We made these really cool medium weight cement tombstones at a cost of @ $10 each. We made the molds out of wood & landscaping border....and then used a mixture of cement (1/4 bag, 1 bag of sand and 3-4 bags of perlite) to make 5 gravestones. I spray painted them with camo green and IMG_8527.jpg grey/black colored spray paints.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They look great but sound like the could cause a back problem down the road.
Actually, they are heavy enough to stand on their own (we used two pieces of pvc pipe inside each one so we could use rebar stakes to make sure they stay upright)....but they are sturdy enough to last 50-100 years (they are cement remember) ...but light enough for us to lift and carry easily (each one probably weighs @ 15-20lbs. They can also be left outside to store....they are real cement....so can stand the weather for many many years. We love them. They look better in person. We made a bunch of different shaped mold (a cross, etc) and are looking forward to having 30+ tombsotnes for our graveyard display!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cynthia, where do you get the perlite? I've thought about making some concrete stones for a long time.
Tom:
We bought the Perlite at Lowes in the plant section (where thye keep the hosue plants). It has been the most expensive part of making each stone. It runs about $4.50 per bag and it takes @ 5-6 bags per 5 stones (depending on the size of the tombstone). Thus the tombstones end up costing @ $10 each....not bad....but the Perlite is the major cost factor (the cement is @ 10 a bag and it will make @ 10-12 stones. the sand is @ $2 a bag and it takes @ 1 1/2 bags of sand per 5 stones.) The molds were just scrap wood and some plastic landscaping border (to make the rounded tops). We used kids foam letters to press into the tombstones after they were poured to write the saying (we sprayed them with cooking spray prior to pressing them in and they came out fine.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That might work? I got my "recipe" for the medium weight concrete from a builder's site. It was designed to be sued for creating a lighterweight cement to use to create faux stone for homes, etc. Supposedly, the recipe created stoen that would last 50-100 years....but was light enough to work with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts