Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are some links to labels that I've used the first are free (very generous artist) Love Manor
I've also used a batch I purchased for $3.95 on Etsy from XanderGraphics they are excellent.
Also, I used two made by pmpkqueen here on Halloween.com. You'll find these under the "Crafts" section and then under the "Apothecary Labels" sub topic.

As far as the things that go in the jar: Walmart - sports/fishing section for grubs and minnows. A local Reel and Tackle Shop carried the frogs and leeches. The Dollorama carried the flies, spiders, toad, skulls, lizard, werewolf fangs and skeletons. Micheal's carried the beads (for swamp monster eggs), natural moss to pack around bones and natural sea sponge to pack in around the toad and frogs. I used a rubber glove, cut off the fingers, filled them with sand, tied a knot in each and added them to a bottle filled with olive oil, these became toad bladders. Our Gales Wholesale Crafts carried the jute string, beeswax and brown florist tape (for wrapping around top of bottles). I used water tinted with tea and food coloring, olive oil and mineral oil to float the objects in. The paper covering on some of the jars is a brown coffee filters dyed with alcohol ink and painted with melted beeswax. The eyeballs were small Styrofoam balls that I painted with permanent markers and floated in olive oil. I used an old wig for the Warlock's hair and white alcohol ink for the Werewolf's milk. Phew! I think that's the laundry list...:eek:

·
Beware of the wand!
2,313 Posts
Thanks for sharing your photos Emjay. I love your jars. I also love the way the specimens look in the Olive Oil. One thing I've never heard of is "white alcohol ink". Is that a supply that can be purchased at a craft store? Like an art supply or something?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Apothecary Jars.jpg
I really like what everyone's done with their version of the apothecary jar. I'll definitely be making some in the near future. Here are some 100 year old apothecary jars I just acquired (over 8 inches tall). I'm liking the homemade one's much better! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
516 Posts
OMG, I love all of these! I am beginning my collection of apothecary jars this year, thank you for all the ideas!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I love all of these! Super helpful thread for reference. c: I think aging the labels (even if they're designed to look aged) makes all the difference.

·