Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 783 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Unfortunately the reason Gemmy life sizes have dropped in quality significantly is due to multiple issues: retailers want more shelf space and request more compact storable items, the original designers of the older props no longer work for the company, material pricing issues, etc.

I have heard that a few years ago Gemmy tried to reintroduce the circular based collapsing life sizes but no retailers were interested unfortunately.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Not fond of the Pennywise one either. The faces are great, but I'm just not interested. I'd actually prefer them both without any movement, just as a static prop.
We have always preferred the Tim Curry version of Pennywise, so we'll take a pass on the newest version and all the complications the construction is probably going to bring.

But that said, we'll still have our homage to IT this year. We purchased a bunch of red balloon lights, little LED's with batteries that light up. You place them in the balloon, fill it with helium, and you have a glowing balloon for the evening. (Or so they say. We've not tested how long the actually last.) So, when people walk by the house, over in a part of the cemetery they will see a glowing red balloon floating. All in all, everyone will know what it is and get a smile from it. And we saved a couple of hundred bucks. :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I'm just completely underwhelmed by the Beetlejuice prop. Considering how the quality of props like this have gone downhill over the years, this one looks especially cheap. Maybe if the mouth moved, and maybe if it didn't look like it was going to shake itself apart I might spend 2-3 minutes at least looking at it in a store rather than walking right by it to look at something else.
It does not look absolutely terrible, but the figure is certainly not Michael Keaton's doppelganger by any means. That is true about the shaking, as the prop seems to not even weigh enough to be able to support the movement of the head without going into convulsions. Gemmy's quality sure has taken a nosedive. This may be inaccurate, yet my guess is that them going nuts with inflatables took too much of the budget and left them with no choice but to do everything possible to reduce the production cost of their animatronics.

·
Registered
328 Posts
It does not look absolutely terrible, but the figure is certainly not Michael Keaton's doppelganger by any means. That is true about the shaking, as the prop seems to not even weigh enough to be able to support the movement of the head without going into convulsions. Gemmy's quality sure has taken a nosedive. This may be inaccurate, yet my guess is that them going nuts with inflatables took too much of the budget and left them with no choice but to do everything possible to reduce the production cost of their animatronics.
I wouldn't be half surprised to find out that they intentionally "go cheap" on products they know will sell anyways, like NBC's Sally with the horrible CLICK for example.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I wouldn't be half surprised to find out that they intentionally "go cheap" on products they know will sell anyways, like NBC's Sally with the horrible CLICK for example.
They actually fixed Sally this year, you can hear how her eyes no longer click in this video at 21:30:

Also here’s the final stock photo for Beetlejuice, the previous one was the prototype hence the lesser quality look:

·
Registered
259 Posts
No, but I have and love Deadly Roots! I was talking about the set piece Swamp Tree that was part of Spirit’s store displays. Home Depot can offer free shipping on large items and people who could not find room to store a dragon might find room for a spooky tree since it would work with more haunting themes

·
Registered
259 Posts
Home Depot has a couple of inflatables and tombstones listed as new:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Home Depot has a couple of tombstones listed as new:

I know not everyone can make their own tombstones, but dang, those puppies are expensive for something that doesn't even light up or move. I'm trying to figure out what brings them in with such a large price tag when Home Depot generally leads the way in keeping prices reasonable. Even at the 50% mark down at the end of season I would be balking at the price.

·
Registered
604 Posts
You are right, those are expensive for Home Depot. But, they are resin. Not a lot of places do resin. Target, which are a lot cheaper, no question. Grandinroad which are more expensive but nicer. The best deals I ever got on resin were two years ago at Home Goods. Nov 1, three very nice, fairly large resin tombstones for $80 combined. I'd been watching them for a month.

41 - 60 of 783 Posts
About this Discussion
782 Replies
86 Participants
Therewolf
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing